M14x shutdown help

I recently purchased a used m14x r1 from eBay and it will not shut down properly, i try to shut down through windows and it does the shutdown sequence but after my screen goes black the fan stays on and the laptop will not shut down fully unless i hold down the power button... i know this is bad for the hdd but i'm currently in school and i need to shut down and power up my laptop 4-5 times a day, any guesses?

i am currently running windows 8 64bit

Don't worry about the harddisk, this doesn't matter. Which bios is on your system? I'd start with a power drain, sounds weird but that solved such issues on my system in the past.

• Founder

Sounds to me more like a power management issue. Like it can't turn off one of the peripherals and thus stays stuck without being able to turn off. Can you try shutting down from safe mode? Does it still do it? My guess is that I will shut down fine.

i tried booting down in safe mode and it's somehow even worse, the screen shows "shutting down" with the progress wheel then it simply freezes on that screen, i know it's freezing because my mouse cursor is visible and it wont move, i'll try the usb power idea and see what happens

\

It shouldnt in the short term. but its worth trying to figure it out.

I saw somewhere the logic on the led lights can sometime cause this. Can you try turning all the leds off in alienfx then try shutdown?

Other than that look in the syslog to see if you can figure out what service or program is causing it to lock.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2