Building Destop

Unios

I'm thinking about building a desktop, a test server for practice in the future. I'll be using window server 2008. On a side note i'm majoring in network administrator. So what is a good standard, spec wise, should this desktop be? I'm not thinking of making anything super and I have some parts that is available to use; I have 500 watt power supply, 80gb & 30gb hdd.

• Founder

What do you mean by test server for practice. Give us some more info or a general idea of what tasks do you expect it to perform. Is video performance required (gaming or computational purposes)? What is your budget? Sky is the limit here, that's why I am asking those questions.

Basicly just to run a server, pen test for security, and maybe run a web server. Just some basic network admin things. Budgeting would be around $500's and well I guess I can also attempt to run a basic private game server.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest a basic machine which can run multiple virtual machines. Any quad core i5 (Sandy or Ivy) which is not a K (perhaps i5-2500). You do not need to OC and you want the better virturalization support. Throw in a motherboard (perhaps Z77) and use the iGP of the CPU to drive your displays. This should run you $250 or less. Throw in a case, a 8GB kit of RAM (whichever is onsale), and a OS,

• 2 months later...