Gaming Headset

Unios

logitech g930 by far the best gaming headset for the price! you can usually get it at amazon anywhere from 79.99 to about 100, just check the prices everyday, usually once a week its at 80-90 dollars.

Since this is a old thread, and this is related. Do any of the 5.1/7.1 headphones, sound just like listening to a true 5.1/7.1 discreet speaker system? I mean when playing games can you really tell where each sound comes from? And are they good for movies? And do they come with a microphone that works with the built in laptop sound system, or is usb better? And good review sites?

I have only gamed with regular stereo headphones, Grado SR60s. So just wondering if surround headphones would be worth it.

as far as the g930's go, yes you can tell exactly where everyone is shooting from with the 7.1 sound switch. They're comfortable as hell for movies/shows. They do not come with analog, but if your into that type of thing, you can buy a usb to analog converter for both the mic and sound. usb is more advanced in my opinion. The best part about these headsets is that they can be wired or wireless :D I highly recommend them

My opinion: "Gaming Headset" is just another word for: "Give lotsa bucks and receive minor quality at overall". Good Headphones like AKG K (or Q) 701, Beyerdynamic DT 880 or Sennheiser HD 600/650 (to name the most common ones to my mind) combined with DAC and/or HPA should always give highly remarkable results over every available headset.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm using the Logitech G930 for about 1 1/2 year now and its still working fine.

The battery still last at least 7 hours and the sound quality is like on the first day I got it, which is great, because I used the headset A LOT.

The only bad thing right now is the leather. Slowly but surely it disappears because of heavy usage but I think this is normal.

I have only gamed with regular stereo headphones, Grado SR60s. So just wondering if surround headphones would be worth it.

In short, no.

Long answer below.

Since this is a old thread, and this is related. Do any of the 5.1/7.1 headphones, sound just like listening to a true 5.1/7.1 discreet speaker system? I mean when playing games can you really tell where each sound comes from? And are they good for movies? And do they come with a microphone that works with the built in laptop sound system, or is usb better? And good review sites?

Good 5.1 and 7.1 headsets provide good positional sound. So yes, you can tell which direction it is coming from.

Unfortunately, the tradeoff is sound quality in general.

The drivers are very small due to size constraints (and having to fit in a lot of them), which results in very narrow frequency band (typically bass suffers the most).

And, for stereo headphones, you can use some kind of headphone virtualization (e.g. Dolby Headphone), which gives nearly as good positioning with much wider frequency range...

I have the corsair vengeance 1500 7.1 headset and whilst you get a surround effect it's nowhere near as good as a discrete system. However, it's not too shabby either.

i use a Tritton Pro+. The sound is good ( real 5.1 surrond headset ), the quality of the microphone is pefect ( perhaps too sensitive ). There are 4 speakers in each ear ( front , rear , center , bass ). You need 4 jack to plug it ( 3 for the surrond, verify your sound card and the last for the mic ). A negative point is that there are a lot of cables

I use the Shure SRH840 studio monitors in combination with my laptop mic. I bought them for the sound quality and use them for my portable music needs too. They're a bit expensive, if you'd like something good for a better price, take a look at the Sony MDR-V6, or even cheaper, anything from Superlux. A friend of mine owns the HD681 and we both vouch for the quality. Best value we've seen so far.

For the mic, he uses a cheap Zalman one. I figure, they're all the same, unless you're buying professional equipment like some large membrane studio mics.

I got a G930 coming for Christmas...

What do you think of it? I bought one in November as a replacement for my Corsair V2000. IMHO the G930 is better, certainly functionality-wise, if not comfort-wise.

I use the Shure SRH840 studio monitors in combination with my laptop mic. I bought them for the sound quality and use them for my portable music needs too. They're a bit expensive, if you'd like something good for a better price, take a look at the Sony MDR-V6, or even cheaper, anything from Superlux. A friend of mine owns the HD681 and we both vouch for the quality. Best value we've seen so far.

For the mic, he uses a cheap Zalman one. I figure, they're all the same, unless you're buying professional equipment like some large membrane studio mics.

+1 for the cheap Zalman. Works great, everyone can hear me clearly.

• 2 weeks later...

Every gaming-headset is bad!

If you want to spend 100$ dont waste it on something like razer or turtle Beach. Even the guy with the Creative Headset for 30$ has no Clue about good sound. You can buy a Mic from Ant-Lion and attach it to a real Stereo Headphone from Sennheiser or something similar.