Latest Advancement in data storage Technoilogy

arjun

When i was a kid i barely knew what a computer was and our teacher used to show us the floppy disk and say this could store an entire book and i was amazed but as i grew up the computing power and storage capacity of these systems have exponentially grown.and sizes have drastically reduced and now to the size of molecules.

now this cud be the next generation of storage devices Storing data in individual molecules

An international team of researchers demonstrates the possibility of molecular memory near room temperature.

An experimental technology called molecular memory, which would store data in individual molecules, promises another 1,000-fold increase in storage density.

for more details see the Source : http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2013/storing-data-in-individual-molecules.html

[h=2]New technique stores terabytes of data on DNA with 100% accuracy[/h]Last year, Harvard scientists managed to stuff 5.5 petabits (around 700 terabytes) of data onto a single gram of DNA. As we previously explained, the method used to store the data on the gram of DNA is similar to how it is stored on a standard storage device. Strands of DNA that held 96 bits of binary data each were synthesized, then the data could be read using a standard DNA sequencing process.

We can use this thread to discuss about the new technological and scientific development in the world of data storage.:sneakiness: