15" Dell XPS L502x + GTX650Ti@2Gbps+c-mPCIe2 (PE4H 2.4a) + Win7 [daver160]

Novice here, finally have a time to build my eGPU for my l502x, but faced a few problems which I confused where to solve

Spec: PE4L-PM060A, GTX750Ti-oc

issue 1:

If turned on the egpu first, laptop turn on later, the laptop screen went blank and the hdmi no signal to ext. screen;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11523[/ATTACH]

issue 2:

My computer startup sequence: GNUB 1.99 for ubuntu> select window7 > the egpu setup1.x only show after that, however it able to detect egpu is connected.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11524[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11525[/ATTACH]

issue 3:

Window device manager unable to detect eGPU; my dgpu was deactivate , and an error28 shows in picture (relevant?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11526[/ATTACH]

• 5 months later...

Hi there Daver160, i am a complete newbie to all this and i use the exact laptop you use in your guide L502x, could you let me know what kit you would advise for me to buy to give this a go, i ask because i have had three strokes and do not retain info very well now and would go with that which you would suggest.I am in the UK and cant find a kit here anywhere.Thanks.Jim

• 11 months later...

After reading this thread here,many other forum posts, and endless doubts following, I finally got the pe4h with a radeon 250x runnig on xpsl502x with no extra steps.

Just plug and play of the egpu at the right time did it all....and with a few commands in startup.bat and pci.bat

post-37241-1449500091504_thumb.jpg

Setup 1.x was a huge help for me.I am going for a gen2 compatible egpu kit soon.

Thanks Nando for the setup 1.x

post-37241-14495000914628_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

phew... i had a better written post before this which got accidentally deleted and don't have the fuel to write an essay like that once more.

So i am keeping it brief:-

Egpu card used:

Radeon r7 200 series.So those who want to try cheaper Ati cards can go for it on l502x.It works with pe4h 2.4b as well as Pe4c 3.0

Using Setup 1.30 code instructions(for l502x users) mostly:-

All you have to do is code the startup.bat with disable gpu command,set wwan port 1 to gen 1 or 2 depending on egpu kit you brought,call pci.bat and chainload bootmgr instead of mbr.Code the pci.bat with command to initialize the wwan port 1 device.Refer daver160's thread on techinferno for more details on egpu implementation on l502x with an nvidia card.I finally got it running with Nando's guidance.The problem was there in delaying PERST DELAY signal.Electrotaped the pin 22 of the pm3n and everything worked.http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/10812-pe4x-series-understanding-clkreq-perst-delay.html

Experience:-

The performance of EGpu pe4c 3.0 is impressive.Games have much better quality and fps increased.

I used Setup 1.30(from Nando) with a moded l502x bios(which i got from NBR forum).The moded bios lets you put the gen speed manually for port.The Setup 1.30 option alone for giving port speed may lead to bsod.

Adavntages over pe4h:-

i was using a pe4h before which had only gen1 speed.Pe4c 3.0 is gen 3 speed with which i can turn on gen2 speed for l502x and in future can use for laps supporting gen3 speed.Temperature value overall dropped further for the laptop.That's one big advantage concerning the type of lap that i use.Sometimes i think it produce more heat than performance.

Shopping:-

I brought it directly from bplus Taiwan.Nagged the customer service in my country till it arrived at my house because i feared a fat chance that it might never reach me even though bplus send it from there and reached my country in one day.Also be aware of the alarming customs duty fee if your country has such schemes to loot general public.

Difference:-

Now with dgpu on my lap buried and igpu kept in disabled mode most times,i can design,game like never before.

Bottleneck and costlier gpu:-

I didnt go for a costlier gpu but for a cheaper ati card which is powerful compared to its price and also brought a cheap 450 watt atx psu considering low energy consuming ati/nvidia cards i might buy in future.Its a good practice to go for a mid-low end gpu than go for r9 or titan since there is always bottle neck(unless thundebolt egpu is used).Instead try x2/x4 links to gain additional performance form egpu to get somewhere near to desktop gpu performance.Now i am going for that.

Amd on l502x:-

Using a radeon card as egpu on nvidia based xps l502x was risky..but it works without any problem and giving good performance too.Running it for hours on win7 platform as egpu and no issues unless its some heavy heavy work which l502x always use for going blue...bsod!! That's not a shocking thing because it used to do that even without egpu.In other words there is no issue faced except the bottle neck in performance after using amd as egpu.Also,for amd cards you need external monitor,otherwise it wont work on l502x.

And also the fan on amd egpu card is not turning off when screen goes off to save electricity during idle.It was turning off with pe4h 2.4b.That one difference is there with pe4c 3.0.Maybe i will sort it sometime soon.Any suggestions?

This is just a brief of what made it possible to make pe4c egpu with amd card a success.But yes,there were countless hours spend to come to this point.So always do your study by refering forums and asking guys like Nando here for extra guidance to get egpu running with less complications.I didn't do dsdt or any other hard coding methods,just simple coding and its all running smooth.So xps l502x users or others,maybe this can give more clarity to your implementing the egpu.

If you have doubts,i will clarify best i can depending on my knowledge.

• Brian featured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

As title of topic says,

I have:

Dell XPS 15 l502x laptop;

EXP GDC Beast mPCI-e cable;

KFA2 (usa: GALAX) Geforce GTX 960 4GB;

Power supply Corsair CX600M;

External monitor Samsung SyncMaster 206BW

So far I try this things:

First I plug everything to see if all is working, and it was.

So I did like this, 

Plug in mPCI-e cable where is W/WLAN connector, next I connect my graphic card to EXP GDC adapter, and I connect 8 pin connector to graphic card.

After that I connect 20+4 pin cables from power supply to cable from EXP GDC and 8 pin connector to EXP GDC. After that everything was connected, except my HDMI cable to Adapter.

So I boot to windows without connected EXP GDC adapter to laptop and uninstall all drivers that I have installed before, delete Nvidia folder from both ProgramFiles folder, and restart computer.

Next I did was set EXP GDC adapter to 6c and 14s, something like that. 

I plug in HDMI cable for the first time when I was in windows 10 and it was WHITE SCREEN immediately and only my power supply fan was spinning. 

Next thing I have done was practically the same but somehow  I get my Graphic Card Fans to spin and WHITE SCREEN, but I accidentally unplug HDMI cable from EXP GDC adapter and my fans turn of on Graphic Card. 

Next thing I read on forum is to plug in graphic card from sleep, and I try that also but no luck. 

Summary, I get my Graphic card to spin fans but for half minute, my power supply fan is working normally, and my EXP GDC adapter is showing red light.

Please Can you help me with some ideas or something. Nando4 I want to get setup 1.3, but currentlly I dont have enough money (christmas gifts :D).

Please any suggestions are welcome.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2015 at 2:58 PM, mpopov said:

Hey all,

As title of topic says,

I have:

Dell XPS 15 l502x laptop;

EXP GDC Beast mPCI-e cable;

KFA2 (usa: GALAX) Geforce GTX 960 4GB;

Power supply Corsair CX600M;

External monitor Samsung SyncMaster 206BW

So far I try this things:

First I plug everything to see if all is working, and it was.

So I did like this, 

Plug in mPCI-e cable where is W/WLAN connector, next I connect my graphic card to EXP GDC adapter, and I connect 8 pin connector to graphic card.

After that I connect 20+4 pin cables from power supply to cable from EXP GDC and 8 pin connector to EXP GDC. After that everything was connected, except my HDMI cable to Adapter.

So I boot to windows without connected EXP GDC adapter to laptop and uninstall all drivers that I have installed before, delete Nvidia folder from both ProgramFiles folder, and restart computer.

Next I did was set EXP GDC adapter to 6c and 14s, something like that. 

I plug in HDMI cable for the first time when I was in windows 10 and it was WHITE SCREEN immediately and only my power supply fan was spinning. 

Next thing I have done was practically the same but somehow  I get my Graphic Card Fans to spin and WHITE SCREEN, but I accidentally unplug HDMI cable from EXP GDC adapter and my fans turn of on Graphic Card. 

Next thing I read on forum is to plug in graphic card from sleep, and I try that also but no luck. 

Summary, I get my Graphic card to spin fans but for half minute, my power supply fan is working normally, and my EXP GDC adapter is showing red light.

Please Can you help me with some ideas or something. Nando4 I want to get setup 1.3, but currentlly I dont have enough money (christmas gifts :D).

Please any suggestions are welcome.

You need setup 1.x and a moded bios to get it working...also buy pe4c 3.0 which is more stable than exp gdc which is unstable.Contact Nando to get setup 1.x ...to know more about the stuff read diy egpu experiences 2.0 or ask me specifically since am also using xps l502x with a successful egpu.

Hi. I am interested to use exp gdc 8.0 (not pe4c because i want to avoid import charges) in order to drive a 750ti nvidia graghic card. I wanna know  if gdc 8.0 works well with L502x ( i have read that exp gdc has some problems but the post mentioned previous versions of gdc, i dont know if these problems are fixed in the 8.0 version). Also are the instructions in order to setup the egpu the same for exp gdc as for pe4c or i may need to do something different(in the worst case it doesnt work)?