Trying to find something to replace M18X AND X220

Jimbo

Question

Hey guys

I'm finally sick of my three system life, I need to find something that is more portable than the M18X but still extremely powerful (just look at my current specs:Banane56: ).

Current contenders are the P150em and the P370em, plus the 15" MSI models that can be configured with a 7970/680. I'm interested if anyone has something to add about models I'm not really aware of (meaning anything that launched in the last 6 months/with ivy bridge).

I know some people are going to say "But Jimbo, my foolish friend, the P370em is a 17.3, dual GPU competitor to the M18X".

And it is....sort of....

Being almost 1.5kg lighter is a HUGE deal as the main problem I have with the Alien is the weight. Add to this that the 15" models with real GPUs seem to be less than 1kg lighter.... makes me wonder if sacrificing the power of dual GPU is worth it.

Then this is a size comparison pic (thanks to HTWingNut from... well, you know).

post-159-14494994224627_thumb.jpg

See where I'm going with this? :ambivalence:

So, I'm sorry for the slightly confused nature of the post, but I'm just seeking opinions, advice, whatever. Am I missing an obvious option? Do you think the size/weight difference is more than the pics and numbers make it appear? Can you help me in any way whatsoever? :77:

Thanks

*Also, if I do go P370, 7970s or 680s? I have a *slight* preference for nvidia, but $500 is quite a jump.

11 answers to this question

Currently, it's always a big tradeoff between portability and power (just look at Razer Blade). I agree 1.5kg is a big difference but 4kg is still fairly heavy IMO. Where do you use M18x right now? (Why not just stick with the desktop and X220?)

• Thumbs Up 1

M18X is my LAN rig, it gets used probably 2-3 times a week for gaming. X220 is for uni, but I have plenty of room to use a 17" (or even an 18.4" for that matter), I just don't like to carry the weight of the alien on a long train trip with a 1km walk at each end.

Being almost 1.5kg lighter is a HUGE deal as the main problem I have with the Alien is the weight.

But Jimbo, my foolish friend... you're just lazy :P

Going from a M18x to a P370em wouldn't make a lot sense if you ask me... rather go 15 inch then. Did you ever consider a Dell Precision series notebook? Very nice design if you ask me, and powerful hardware.

• Thumbs Up 3

Does it come with dual GPU? :P

The way I'm seeing the benches currently, the only way to better the 6990 CF-X is with SLI680/CFX7970, I can't go backwards!

The precision series appears to be just as expensive as the dual GPU clevo/sager....

LOL @ svl7, I have to carry this thing over a ~2-3km walk everyday, you say lazy but I was a world ranked amateur weightlifter, and I say the shit is too heavy! :64:

• Founder

You're right it is too heavy for long distance walks. The clevo is a good option but I'm not sure if 1.5kg lighter will make much of a difference over a long walk.

I'd stick with the x220 for school and M18x for lan parties. The AW really is a much better system. Plus if you got the hardware itch, you can put 7970m xfire in it.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Thumbs Up 1

Problem is, the M18X is just too heavy, and I'm giving up the lenovo to a family member.

I have N-O problems with the alienware, it still manages to amaze me every day. If the M18X R2 was 2kg lighter, I would order it without hesitation.

The build quality is important to me - but ultimately it comes down to power vs weight...

I agree with what is said above. The P370em is still very heavy. THe P150em you mentioned is indeed a good option as well. It is around the 3kg which makes decent for carrying around. You´d have to sacrifise the dual GPU config tho. But still a P150em with i7 3840Qm or 3940XM, 16gb RAM and a 680m is a very powerfull notebook. It is also pretty well priced at prices at around 2000 usd for the 3840QM, 680m, 95% gamut screen and 16gb of ram.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for all the input guys, I've settled on a clevo p370em, after carrying the alien alone without the power brick and my lenovo in the same bag (which equates to clevo + powerbrick) for a week, the difference is stunning.

I know the quality isn't quite up the with my beloved alien, but the practicality for my specific needs can't be beaten.

Thanks again to everyone that helped out, I will report back on how I find the clevo, and some benchmarks OFC. :)