Y580 for a part time gaming laptop?

carr251

Question

I am looking for a Lenovo Y580 for my laptop, and I am wondering if it fulfills a few requirements:

(a) 4 hours of battery life in office

(B) Crysis 2 on max at 768p (30 fps or better :D)

© durable enough to be brought to and from school without the screen/computer breaking

(d) able to replace ram and hdd without voiding warranty...(Are these Customer Replaceable Unit's?)(Not a requirements)

My budget is $900, so what other laptops are comparable.

Hey guys, what do you think is better, the y580 with modded vbios for higher clocks or the y500? I've read that newer drivers for the 650m prevent it from being oc'd.

Y500, you can mod the vbios on that to overclock the GPUs

I've also found the GTX 660M to be pretty good for gaming at 720p at higher settings, and even 1080p at medium settings. I bought the HP DV6Tqe (i7-3610qm / GT 650M 2GB), and it runs most things pretty well. Even though it's a GT 650M, I had a sample that fortunately overclocked well (1100 MHz core / 5000 MHz memory), so it's essentially like a GTX 660M since they're based on the same chip. I was also thinking about getting the Lenovo (heard good things about them from friends), but the HP I purchased has similar hardware specs, and I can say it's really good for moderate gaming. You can't go crazy with the settings, but really - there's hardly any game it can't play as long as you reduce settings reasonably.

I have a Lenovo Y500 and it get 60fps on high and ultra setting with crysis 3 @ 1080p

If I use throttle stop and power savings I get 4 hours and 10 minutes of battery life.

If you buy it on new egg for $900 you get

I5 3.2Ghz

6gb 1,600Mhz ram

1 terabyte Hdd

(2) GT 650m's in sli

1080p HD screen