Y580 for a part time gaming laptop?

carr251

Question

I am looking for a Lenovo Y580 for my laptop, and I am wondering if it fulfills a few requirements:

(a) 4 hours of battery life in office

(B) Crysis 2 on max at 768p (30 fps or better :D)

© durable enough to be brought to and from school without the screen/computer breaking

(d) able to replace ram and hdd without voiding warranty...(Are these Customer Replaceable Unit's?)(Not a requirements)

My budget is $900, so what other laptops are comparable.

Lenovo specs out the battery life at 5 hours for the 6-cell, and you can upgrade to the 9-cell if needed. RAM and HDD are pretty much CRUs across the board on Lenovo laptops, but you can confirm by taking a look at the Hardware Maintenance Manual for that model. Do a Google search for "y580 hmm", the first result is a PDF; go down to page 78 for RAM, page 81 for HDDs. Anything that doesn't have an "N" in the CRU ID column is considered customer replaceable. If you don't throw it at the ground then you shouldn't have any issues with the LCD cracking. I've seen HDD platters shattered from a drop and no damage taken to the LCD (on Thinkpads). Take a look at the required specs for Crysis 2 vs what's in the machine; it would appear to be more than adequate.

The Y580 doesnt always come with a full HD screen. As i experienced for myself having a full HD screen is a really bonus. It gives better viewing as you cannot see pixels anymore and even increases your productivity as more text fits on your screen.

Gaming Laptops - XOTIC PC - Gaming Notebooks - Custom Laptops - Custom Notebooks

Have a browse through this site it really got a wide variety of gaming laptops

Sager NP6350 / Clevo W350ETQ - XOTIC PC - 15.6" Custom Gaming Laptop

I´d recommend this laptop. It comes with full HD panel, faster 7.200RPM HDD and 660m graphics. Its a good machine at a decent price :)

Buy lenovo y500, it has 2xGT650M with DDR5 in SLI, this cards are only downclocked GTX660m and for the same price 2 times higher power ! :)

Those are hard to find. I was actually looking into buying one of those before i bought my msi gt60 with the GTX680m. Its pricey but very nice

I was thinking about getting the Y580 as well at a point, but I figure the weight of the laptop is very important when carrying it around. I went with the Sony Vaio S15. It has less powerful of a video card, but you will definitely appreciate the weight. It will also allow some light gaming such as Dota 2, SC2, D3 etc.

(a) in school with wifi i spend 45m on battery and ntb had 70%

(B) i play crysis 2 on full HD with DX11 + hight textures pack and extreme detail

© carring ntb every day to school in bag without any problems

(d) i don't try it, for me is good enought basic hardware

I have the Y580 and it's awesome. I love pretty much everything about it (except the wireless card, which I've replaced). It runs Diablo 3 and SC2 like a charm so far. Very fast boot up time. If you do get it, definitely go for a cooling tray. Make sure you get the one with the FHD screen as well.

Hope that was helpful.

if someone is interested in a benchmark of my Y580 with a modified bios from svl7 and OC...

why u have core clock at 405Mhz... ?

(B) Crysis 2 on max at 768p (30 fps or better FY+Gav4ME4Mfv7M5PAQYAzrxiaTIvJb0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=) + gtx660m in Lenovo y580?

sorry men , i dont think so.

U need better card for this.

core clock is at 1250mhz.. i don't know why the benchmark shows a different clock..

no, thats wrong. in 786p you can run every actual game (accept crysis 3) at max settings... crysis 2 runs with min. 40 fps for me.

only when you want to play in 1080p the gtx 660m gets a real problem in games like crysis.....

i think thats a different decision for everyone..

for example: i choose the Y580, because it supports switchable graphics.. (intel hd4000 + gtx660m) that gives you much more battery-life in office-use...

with the Y500 there isn't a way to only use the intel hd4000, because it has an option to add an second gt650m... (silly lenovo :D)

you have to decide

I just grabbed a Y400 and am happy to say it's a fantastic piece of hardware. I was a bit nervous switching to IdeaPad from ThinkPad but I have not been disappointed.

I can recommend Lenovo Y series:

Y580 is good notebook, only heard rummors about overheating HDD drive in it's original position

Y500 is better if You don't mind shorter battery life - with GT650M SLI it's a real powerhouse (but absence of Optimus causes much shorter battery life)...