The closing gap between the mobile market and the desktop market

Let's discuss the differences in the mobile and desktop market. We should identify the performance difference of the mobile versus the desktop market. The gap between a high-end desktop, a desktop replacement laptop with new top sandy bridge mobile and the desktop replacements with the new Intel top sandybridge desktop cpu's are getting closer and closer to each other. We all know the difference between the thermal headroom of a laptop chassis and the spacious (liquid cooling capable) desktop tower chassis. But their performance keeps quite a bit of competition in the market. With the overclockers on T|I's front page article about the new Vantage and 3DMark11 World records on top 2011 Desktop hardware and T|I own DR650SE scoring nearly half of those scores with the aid of Dice also and being on some High-End mobile hardware (M17x R2), you would have to say that is great and amazing for the mobile end of things. If you checked the status of the market a few years ago you'd say the high end desktop stomped the high end mobile back then. It's exciting to see this sort of competition and the blurring of the mobile limitations over their desktop counterparts.

• Founder

Wait until people start pumping out M18x with dual 6970M benchmarks. The biggest limitation will be the lack of voltage adjustment for 6970M and a possible lockbit on the 2920xm so that TDP can't be adjusted. If those two were adjustable like the desktop, the M18x could probably easily hit 30K Vantage and beyond.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or soon someone will find a work around... you found the setfsb adjustments for going beyond 140mhz baseclock. Throttlestop and vbios voltage adjustment made it possible before. Someone will crack it, there is a will so there will be a way.

• Founder
I don't know about 30K+ on Vantage but yeah fully unlocked (voltage for GPU and bit lock for CPU) and with this 330W PSU it will definitely beat many desktop configurations...

X7200 hits 30K with it's configuration and since a 2920xm is already as fast as a 980x in games, it's very possible. Especially if both the CPU/GPU are unlocked.

I have to commend you mw86 for such fascinating thread, but I have to say the following.

All the people here in TI and in the other forums are techno geeks and enthusiast, you would be surprise the amount of Laptop computers sold in today's market without a discrete video card.

The same applies to desktop computers where the integrated video reigns supreme. Not so long ago the sound wasn't integrated, we had sound cards like Creative, Gravis, AdLib. (tortuga or santa fe sound cards? .oh wait turtle beach!!)

But before I go in a rant about good old times I have to say that in our realm (Techno-geeks and enthusiasts) There is little difference between the desktop and laptop.

My alienware has the same power as my old XPS Gen 2(which was a super machine on it's own time) Only difference that I see is that in a laptop you more limited by the space you got to play with and some hardware limitations(example I got an xps m1530 that I can't change video card because is soldered to the mobo) but I have seen that where there is a will anything is possible, I remember a guy built a laptop from an xbox machine!!

So here is my point:

the Real limitation and big gap occurs when you buy a machine, whether a Desktop or a laptop created for mass consumption, versus the machines that you and I and our friend in these forums spend hours and hours discussing.

hope my point came across clearly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wbat7 that was said very eloquently. Long gone are the days of good discrete parts and now are the days of cheap low power gpu/cpu combo systems. I see more and more of the push toward mass produced, cheap build and therefore performance on par with what you paid... next to nil. So the enthusiasts are the ones that push the market to new performance levels so those who choose to cheap out on the integral computer of their buisness's just suffer with their dwindling hope to be productive on a product that can't grow at all. This leaves those suckered into non-discrete component systems at a loss in the end. I can't go back, I know the problem exists... therefore I cannot knowingly fall prey to Big Corporate Marketing... they just want you to buy something new every 6 months.

Edited by mw86

• 5 months later...

Just reviving an old thread. Now many months have past and we now have had the M18x released for quite some time. Still on top and probably always are the Tanks of today like Jimbo's liquid cooled 5.3ghz beast. We will not see laptops at a given point in time top those type of systems but as the pattern arleady has shown these Laptop Beasts are definitely able to keep up with their desktop counterparts when using comparable cooling... Air. It is amazing how the mobile oriented 2920/60XM has beaten the 980x... it may not keep up with an Air cooled 2600K but its very close and that's something to be happy about since just a few years ago laptop processors were no more than 33% of their desktop counterparts.

• 11 months later...

well said, i feel the biggest obstacle is overcoming the heat issue on a laptop, if liquid cooling can somehow be fitted in a laptop, the gap between desktop and laptop will get even closer.

+1

The CPUs are amazing, I'm hoping for a GPU revolution. :D

• Thumbs Up 1