HP Tm2t CPU Upgrade

Murray Smart

The CPU has two cores, but with hyperthreading enabled appears as 4 cores in Device Manager.

Per the TM2T-2100 Maintenance and Service Guide both the HD5450 and CPU are soldered onto the systemboard. There are RAM slots so 2x8GB could fit. You'd need to ask HP if the bios can make use of it, or ask a computer shop if you can test it.

Only way of getting faster GPU performance is as a DIY eGPU (mPCIe), swapping out the wifi card. It's accessible via the underside memory cover as shown below:

tm2twifiaccess.jpg

The system is only pci-e 1.x capable HM55 (Series-5) chipset and the lack of an iGPU means no Optimus/Virtu is possible. The best performing eGPU for this system would be a HD7xxx series attached to an external LCD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for this info Nando, you're help and knowledge are major time savings and I for one am glad that you share this information with others. I'm not sure how good it would look having the tablet with it's base cover left open and cable strewn from inside of it like that but down the track, if it's screen falters again, it would make an ok new pc.

Can't believe that they also soldered their chipsets into the board! It's pretty selfish as it would surely have cost less time to just socket them instead of soldering them into the boards.. maybe on a factory line it's about the same time I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for this info Nando, you're help and knowledge are major time savings and I for one am glad that you share this information with others. I'm not sure how good it would look having the tablet with it's base cover left open and cable strewn from inside of it like that but down the track, if it's screen falters again, it would make an ok new pc.

Can't believe that they also soldered their chipsets into the board! It's pretty selfish as it would surely have cost less time to just socket them instead of soldering them into the boards.. maybe on a factory line it's about the same time I don't know.

A CPU socket adds extra thickness, weight and cost to the board. It's more often the case that ultraportables, ultrabooks and thin-and-light machines have the CPU BGA soldered. The exceptions with socketted CPUs being a 11.6" Asus U24E, 12.5" Asus B23E, 12.5" HP 2570P/2560P, 13" Fujitsu T901 tablet.

If you still really wanted a CPU upgraded then would need to have a BGA soldering outlet remove the existing CPU and solder on the replacement you desire. With notebook prices being as low as they are it just doesn't make economic sense to do that unless you are in that line of business and can do it yourself at no or low cost.

If they have a dGPU option then it's a low spec one to keep heat and power consumption down. That too will be integrated into the systemboard as a soldered chip. You do however have the RAM slot upgradability. Some systems like the Lenovo X1 carbon even solder that on the board giving no RAM upgrades either. That system then has a certain functional lifespan and due to no upgradability, becomes a consumer throwaway item.

This is all very true indeed

I think if I can somehow afford to sell off my hptm2t to someone that's just after a convertible tablet with reasonable power for performance and not the latest bee's knees (although vs standard equipped convertible tablets.. no eGPU's in the picutre) It's one of the best AFAIK.

Either way, after that, I'd be able to put that money towards one of the HP elitebook Tablets instead

and completely pimp it out with goodies