Brightness Issue

ssj92

I know this is also affecting people with the M17x-R2 with Windows 8.

Basically when I press the button combination to change brightness, the OSD displays the brightness going up and down, but the actual screen brightness doesn't change.

Now running the stock windows 8 video drivers and even the 12.8 WHQL drivers worked fine with brightness. The 12.10 WHQL, 12.11 Beta (up to 11) and even the new 13.1 WHQL drivers don't fix this issue.

I tried messaging an AMD rep at the overclock forum and even sent a few bug reports for the drivers about this before, but it seems like they're not interested.

There were a few amount of people who fixed this problem doing registry mods, but they were on a different computer and it didn't work for me.

I know this is also affecting people with the M17x-R2 with Windows 8.

Basically when I press the button combination to change brightness, the OSD displays the brightness going up and down, but the actual screen brightness doesn't change.

Now running the stock windows 8 video drivers and even the 12.8 WHQL drivers worked fine with brightness. The 12.10 WHQL, 12.11 Beta (up to 11) and even the new 13.1 WHQL drivers don't fix this issue.

I tried messaging an AMD rep at the overclock forum and even sent a few bug reports for the drivers about this before, but it seems like they're not interested.

There were a few amount of people who fixed this problem doing registry mods, but they were on a different computer and it didn't work for me.

Same goes to me. Using BETA 11 at the moment. Keep it updated bro!

Same goes to me. Using BETA 11 at the moment. Keep it updated bro!

You should get the new 13.1 WHQL drivers. They don't fix the brightness issue, but they're WHQL certified and should run just as good if not better than the 12.11 beta drivers. The new 3D application settings is nice (kind of a cheap knockoff of nvidia control panel's but I like it).

I really hope someone can find a fix for this issue. I've already tried everything I can think of. Weird how stock microosft and older (up to 12.8) drivers work fine.

You should get the new 13.1 WHQL drivers. They don't fix the brightness issue, but they're WHQL certified and should run just as good if not better than the 12.11 beta drivers. The new 3D application settings is nice (kind of a cheap knockoff of nvidia control panel's but I like it).

I really hope someone can find a fix for this issue. I've already tried everything I can think of. Weird how stock microosft and older (up to 12.8) drivers work fine.

Agreed. Stock drivers by Windows 8 have no problem with the brightness, i can use the keyboard to control the brightness. Hopefully somebody can fix this soon. Thank you for the update! :Banane41:

@ssj92 - I got small pixel box on my browser when do the browsing (Happened after upgrading to 13.1) Do you experienced this too?

No, mine seems fine. There are newer 13.2 Beta drivers out that you can try.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello there,

I just did a system refresh with the Windows 8 disc and installed the 1.31 WHQL driver right after. Brightness controls seems to be working.

32 or 64-bit? Also what GPU are you using? For me anything above 12.8 won't work no matter what I try. While 12.8 and the default Windows 8 drivers allow brightness to be adjusted.

32 or 64-bit? Also what GPU are you using? For me anything above 12.8 won't work no matter what I try. While 12.8 and the default Windows 8 drivers allow brightness to be adjusted.

HD7970m Installed into the M15X, with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

EDIT: Just tried out the new 13.2 Drivers, brightness control gone again. :/

• 2 weeks later...
hmm.. got a m15x with a 7970m using teh 13.1 drivers + win8 pro 64bit.

no brightness control issues at all..

Alright I figured it out.

For everyone having brightness issues:

1) Uninstall all of your AMD drivers.

2) Get driversweeper or the new driver fusion(preferably since it's newer)

3) reboot

4) Use driver sweeper to clean out the AMD DIsplay section. If it says there were a few files that couldn't be swept and you should look into the premium version, ignore it!

5) reboot

6) install the 13.1 whql mobility drivers (some say 13.2 broke brightness again)

7) reboot

8) enjoy brightness! =]

Im on a M15x with 7970m, 13.1 drivers. I don't seem to ever have issues with the brightness. Although back on the 6990m I might have had a similar issue where after keeping my computer on for a few days when I press fn f4 and fn f5 the brightness doesn't change, however there is no brightness change box showing up on the screen either.

I think this issue only affects people who've used the 12.10 whql and 12.11 beta drivers prior to getting 13.1. Of course I could be wrong but that's what it seems like so far.

• 5 months later...