Y500 Disassembled (Pictures)

n1smo

I followed the youtube video Lenovo Y400 Y500 Full Disassembly - YouTube. However, the video was probably created with a prototype y500 because some of the layout of the laptop did not match mine. Most noticeably is that there are *three* screws holding the keyboard down not *two*, I almost ripped the keyboard trying to pull it off with one screw still in there. Also, a few of the ribbons are located in different places which I think is an improvement over the y500 in the video. Finally, the hardest part of the entire process was to remove the back cover because it is held on by plastic tabs facing in different directions so the best way is to wiggle it left and right while lifting and not lift directly up.

DSC_0156_DxO_zps0ab78e81.jpg

DSC_0150_DxO_zpsfb658104.jpg

DSC_0146_DxO_zps2683aa67.jpg

DSC_0147_DxO_zpsf6b04440.jpg

That is just regular white thermal paste on the heatsinks. The OEM thermal paste resembled AS5 in color and thickness and I recommend that it be left alone if the temperatures are good. I have since replaced the cheap stuff I put on there with AS5 and still have not seen the temperatures I saw when it was stock (still 3-5C higher).

DSC_0153_DxO_zpse7c87496.jpg

Here is what I did to stop the twitchy touchpad (issue is well documented in the Lenovo support forum) and the random extra characters the keyboard would add while typing (less known issue).

DSC_0364_DxO_zps2f44abc1.jpg

DSC_0365_DxO_zps127fb883.jpg

• Thumbs Up 17

• 2 weeks later...
can you give me a shot of the ultrabay? isit compatible with aftermarket solution that is sold on ebay?

From what I've read, the eBay drive caddies will not work with the Y500 because of the extra PCI-e port in the bay. Unfortunately, I don't think any of my pictures focuses on the Ultrabay and there's no way in hell I'm opening it up again and risk the touchpad/keyboard issue coming back. Sorry.

Is that a 2nd empty msata port below the wifi card and do all y500 models have it because the lenovo manual and the disassembly on youtube don't have it?

Did they change to the one in the video and manual because yours has an i7 3632QM where as all the ones for sale on their web site have i7 3630QM

Is that a 2nd empty msata port below the wifi card and do all y500 models have it because the lenovo manual and the disassembly on youtube don't have it?

Did they change to the one in the video and manual because yours has an i7 3632QM where as all the ones for sale on their web site have i7 3630QM

That potentially could be a second msata port if they decide to solder one on. As it stand now, it doesn't come with the port even though you can clearly see the solder points for it. I think one in the video was a prototype because from all the photos I seen on the web, they all match mine. The i7 3632QM is available as an option.

Here is what I did to stop the twitchy touchpad (issue is well documented in the Lenovo support forum) and the random extra characters the keyboard would add while typing (less known issue).

Just my question is: what you did exactly? It's was realy helpful? Kindly post the link for Lenovo forum. Look like I have a same problem with my touchpad ELAN.

Thanks for a good post.

WOW!! n1smo, your solution to fix ELAN touchpad is WORK!

really thanks to your post. now my touchpad work flawlessly.

with SAMSUNG touchpad driver.There is even more function to play with this pad include two finger tab to right click.

sorry for my poor english.

If the issue comes back, like it did for me after 2 weeks. Here is the final solution.

For me, it was a grounding issue, and I think it is the same with the keyboard. The touchpad feels great after relocating the silver tape. Very responsive, and I have the multi gesture stuff enabled, everything works good.

The red circle indicates where I've move the silver tape too, had to angle it a little but now it is grounded directly onto the top aluminum case as opposed to the painted plastic (conductive?). I've been trying to get it to fail ever since and so far it is working perfectly.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/n1smo/Lenovo%20Y500/DSC_0364_newgroundingpoint_zpsec25ebe0.jpg

So, I posted that in the Lenovo support forum but basically, I just relocated the silver tape and it's been working great. The touchpad has never felt this good.

- - - Updated - - -

That laptop you disassembled, is it the version with the Elan touchpad? Or does the new version of y500 also malfuntion?

This is the Elan touchpad. It was one of the earlier builds, got mine back in November.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
can you give me a shot of the ultrabay? isit compatible with aftermarket solution that is sold on ebay?
From what I've read, the eBay drive caddies will not work with the Y500 because of the extra PCI-e port in the bay. Unfortunately, I don't think any of my pictures focuses on the Ultrabay and there's no way in hell I'm opening it up again and risk the touchpad/keyboard issue coming back. Sorry.

AFAIK, the drive caddies DO work. There is the mini-SATA connector along-side the ultrabay connector. I have used a drive caddy in my Y500 :)

• 2 weeks later...
AFAIK, the drive caddies DO work. There is the mini-SATA connector along-side the ultrabay connector. I have used a drive caddy in my Y500 :)

Are those the 9.5mm units found on Amazon and the like? I was concerned that without that plastic bracket you see on the ultrabay devices (mine is the 2nd 650m card) it might be sketchy to connect and swap in and out.

Hey n1smo, just a quick though about your thermal paste/heat issue, you should probs try a burn in test (run something like prime95 for the CPU and furMark for the GPU (obviously not at the same time)) on the system to get the thermal paste/TIM to set. When I first built my desktop, the idle temp was about 10C higher than it was after I ran a burn in to let the thermal paste settle.

• 2 weeks later...