Y500 Disassembled (Pictures)

n1smo

That potentially could be a second msata port if they decide to solder one on. As it stand now, it doesn't come with the port even though you can clearly see the solder points for it. I think one in the video was a prototype because from all the photos I seen on the web, they all match mine. The i7 3632QM is available as an option.

So.... Was anyone brave enough to solder the 2nd msata connector themselves? I ordered one from ebay for $2 and change, I'll give it a shot when it arrives. I'm surprised there is little to no information regarding this potential second msata connection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm glad you did this I need to check and make sure they put mine back together right.

Had to send it off and get it to turn on again and now its cooking its so hot.

Ok my fan is dis connected how far do I need to disassemble to get under the plastic covering fan? The plug is under it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, wanted to ask if your msata ssd's getting hot in this laptop. As you can see on the OP screen's its located very close to the pipe, and I think its the main reason... Poor placement. I am getting 45-60 C, its not very good-__-

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, wanted to ask if your msata ssd's getting hot in this laptop. As you can see on the OP screen's its located very close to the pipe, and I think its the main reason... Poor placement. I am getting 45-60 C, its not very good-__-

I've been looking around for SSDs heating up, (mine reaches about 57c near that pipe) but the consensus seems to be with no moving parts it's no threat to the drive... Either we'll see about that or I'll find a better more accurate answers eventually! :v

I've been looking around for SSDs heating up, (mine reaches about 57c near that pipe) but the consensus seems to be with no moving parts it's no threat to the drive... Either we'll see about that or I'll find a better more accurate answers eventually! :v

You are using caching SSD which came preloaded with laptop or you bought one and running system on it, may I ask? The thing here is, yes, it has no mechanical parts so theoretically it cant be hurt by heat like HDD's but it throttles really hard when it heats up to about 65-70C, so I dont actually know whether I should buy mSATA SSD in this laptop or not...

• 1 month later...

when i went to pull the top cover off of mine after taking the keyboard out it felt like something mechanical was holding the two pieces together. I need to re-apply thermal paste because my temps without turbo boost are around 85 C with hyperthreading off. Did this happen to anyone else?

One thing I don't like about the Y500 build is the HDMI port, mine had actually become loose and eventually -fell out-, Lenovo support were no help

Even with it still being under warranty, since I was traveling and outside of the country they refused to help at all, they wouldn't even transfer the request

to the North America branch, they were just like, call them....

So bottom line, when prying open the laptop case, you should be slow and gentle to avoid breaking the plastic clips?

Also, does anyone have any links to a decent HDD caddy? I was thinking of opening my Y410p up to repaste the CPU and GPU, and was probably going to do some upgrades while the laptop was open anyways, like swapping out the HDD for an SDD, putting the HDD in the ultrabay, and replacing the network card.

• 3 weeks later...