Y500 Disassembled (Pictures)

n1smo

Great additions to the laptop. I am just wondering if it is possible to eliminate the heat problem by a larger heatsink and if a larger heatsink will fit?

The fan with increased airflow will do the trick. Larger diameter but the same height. Suggestions of certain type, anybody?

If the issue comes back, like it did for me after 2 weeks. Here is the final solution.

For me, it was a grounding issue, and I think it is the same with the keyboard. The touchpad feels great after relocating the silver tape. Very responsive, and I have the multi gesture stuff enabled, everything works good.

The red circle indicates where I've move the silver tape too, had to angle it a little but now it is grounded directly onto the top aluminum case as opposed to the painted plastic (conductive?). I've been trying to get it to fail ever since and so far it is working perfectly.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/n1smo/Lenovo%20Y500/DSC_0364_newgroundingpoint_zpsec25ebe0.jpg

So, I posted that in the Lenovo support forum but basically, I just relocated the silver tape and it's been working great. The touchpad has never felt this good.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the Elan touchpad. It was one of the earlier builds, got mine back in November.

In the picture you have of the silver tape, you are saying you moved the silver tape from the green circle to where the red circle is? I assume you used the silver tape because it needs to conduct?

Hello guys,

can someone tell me, where i can find a lenovo y500 ultrabay fan. I live in germany. Someone know a shop, which shipps to germany? I've disassembled my notebook, because i thought it is dusty. Tha't wasn't so i try to find a possibility to cool down my laptop. Thanks for your answers!

Hello guys,

can someone tell me, where i can find a lenovo y500 ultrabay fan. I live in germany. Someone know a shop, which shipps to germany? I've disassembled my notebook, because i thought it is dusty. Tha't wasn't so i try to find a possibility to cool down my laptop. Thanks for your answers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The Ultrabay fan module doesn't lower temperatures at all.

Agreed with that. Some users in other forum said that the Ultrabay fan instead sucked the cool air that is needed by the main fan. It doesn't cool anything, as the exhaust air are not even hot....

on a desktop I had 2-4 degree improvment in temps after changing thermal paste, I think that it is too much effort to change it in notebook unless you have to dissasamble it in other reason
Desktops are less likely to suffer overheating issues, especially compared to laptop with a subpar cooling design like the Y500. Repasting my Y500 dropped CPU temp by 15C and GPU temp by 10C. It meant not having to choose between running the CPU at full speed yet close to thermal shutdown all the time or throttling it so that it wouldn't overheat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Once have i also disassembled my y500 'cause the left speaker above 70 percent of volume gave disturbing resonant with the top cover at 400~600 Hz. As it turns out, this is due to the power button. I just had to fix it some special glue, and now i can enjoy the full volume! :)

Caveat for those who disassemble their Y500s- when you pry off the keyboard make sure not to pry the superficial keyboard cover, but put pressure on the deeper part instead. Otherwise the plastic that goes around the keys gets its tabs broken and isn't as locked in once reassembled.

Hello.I have the following issue with my y500 -

And before i disassemble my laptop I want to ask if there is anything else except the 4 pin connector for the speakers that may be causing my problem.I hope that i can fix this problem by myself :)

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...