Y500 Disassembled (Pictures)

n1smo

Has anyone disassembled the ultrabay 650m yet?

I have. :)

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3310-pictures-disassembled-y500-ultrabay-gpu.html

- - - Updated - - -

Repasting will not improve your temperatures. I repasted the Ultrabay GPU with OCZ Freeze, which in my experience works better than IC Diamond, and it didn't didn't help at all. Follow the advice of all of us who have repasted and don't do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

is the cpu swappable? say if you wanted to switch to a more powerful i7?

Yes, the CPU is swappable.

- - - Updated - - -

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3310-pictures-disassembled-y500-ultrabay-gpu.html

- - - Updated - - -

Repasting will not improve your temperatures. I repasted the Ultrabay GPU with OCZ Freeze, which in my experience works better than IC Diamond, and it didn't didn't help at all. Follow the advice of all of us who have repasted and don't do it.

Thanks for that, I was about to open up the ultrabay GPU to see if I can improve the temps. It runs quite a bit hotter than the GPU on the motherboard.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey n1smo, just a quick though about your thermal paste/heat issue, you should probs try a burn in test (run something like prime95 for the CPU and furMark for the GPU (obviously not at the same time)) on the system to get the thermal paste/TIM to set. When I first built my desktop, the idle temp was about 10C higher than it was after I ran a burn in to let the thermal paste settle.

Thanks for the tip, I was thinking about the same thing but a few months after the last time I repasted the GPU, the temps are still higher than when the laptop was brand new. Oh well, I'm pretty pleased with the system and I'm running SLI now so for games, I don't even bother overclocking anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

My keyboard is different and has the random character issue. It's silver colored on the backside.

Sorry to hear about your issue, the only thing I can say is that you are not alone. We are definitely a minority though. The best way to reduce the issue is to turn off the USB Always On feature in bios. Also helps to not use that USB port, which is the single USB port on the right side.

Thanks for that, I was about to open up the ultrabay GPU to see if I can improve the temps. It runs quite a bit hotter than the GPU on the motherboard.

That's weird. It's the opposite for me: The mainboard GPU usually runs hotter than the Ultrabay one, especially if the CPU is also working at the same time. It makes sense because the Ultrabay GPU is on the other side of the laptop and has its own dedicated cooling system whereas the the main GPU has to share the same fan and copper heatpipe with the CPU. The CPU really runs way too hot for my taste, it gets into the 90 C range in some games.

I have replaced the thermal compound on my y400 with gelid gc extreme, same temps as stock :(

The temperatures gain after rapasting depends mostly on particular notebook. For example in my brothers lenovo y580 temperatures under stress dropped by 20 degrees under full load. So if you have temperatures much higher than other people with the same notebook I reccomend repasting, if not there is no sense in disassembilng.

That's weird. It's the opposite for me: The mainboard GPU usually runs hotter than the Ultrabay one, especially if the CPU is also working at the same time. It makes sense because the Ultrabay GPU is on the other side of the laptop and has its own dedicated cooling system whereas the the main GPU has to share the same fan and copper heatpipe with the CPU. The CPU really runs way too hot for my taste, it gets into the 90 C range in some games.

GT650MSLIOCd1155_2555mhz_zpsf65c90b2.jpg

63C for MB GPU, 69C for Ultrabay GPU.... How hot does your Ultrabay run? I was overclocking it to 1155mhz.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to break a lot of plastic clips when disassembling mine. I was really hesitant, was afraid I was going to break my new toy as some of the clips were in really tight spots.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The temperatures gain after rapasting depends mostly on particular notebook. For example in my brothers lenovo y580 temperatures under stress dropped by 20 degrees under full load. So if you have temperatures much higher than other people with the same notebook I reccomend repasting, if not there is no sense in disassembilng.

It all depends on the original thermal paste job. A lot of times it isn't the paste but the actual tightening of the heatsink.

To answer the question about main board gpu temp vs Ultrabay gpu temp, based on my observation.

In Uningine Heaven Benchmark, since the CPU isn't loaded much, the Ultrabay runs a bit hotter than main GPU, difference not more than 5C on mine.

In games where the CPU is heavily loaded, the main GPU will be a bit hotter than the Ultrabay, difference not more than 4C on mine.

All in all they should be pretty close. But then again my Y500 is modded in some ways (repaste, replaced thermal pad, added 1 heatpipe, added washers to increase backplate pressure on CPU, replaced screws on Ultrabay with tighter spring to increase pressure on the Ultrabay GPU), so this doesn't apply to everyone.

To answer the question about main board gpu temp vs Ultrabay gpu temp, based on my observation.

In Uningine Heaven Benchmark, since the CPU isn't loaded much, the Ultrabay runs a bit hotter than main GPU, difference not more than 5C on mine.

In games where the CPU is heavily loaded, the main GPU will be a bit hotter than the Ultrabay, difference not more than 4C on mine.

All in all they should be pretty close. But then again my Y500 is modded in some ways (repaste, replaced thermal pad, added 1 heatpipe, added washers to increase backplate pressure on CPU, replaced screws on Ultrabay with tighter spring to increase pressure on the Ultrabay GPU), so this doesn't apply to everyone.

This makes sense. I haven't modded my machine in any way but I get around identical temperatures for both GPU's when gaming, and up to 10C higher on the Ultrabay when running Heaven.

I currently have a y580, but have a friend wanting to buy it and am looking at the y500. Is there any way to manually control the fan speeds? I know in my y580 that the fans run 60% or so maxed out by the system temps. at least compared to the speed they ramp to with the "fan dust extraction" setting (which proves software control of fans is possible) even with my modded bios. If you dont care about noise (or wear headphones) then setting the fan/s to 100% would probably help temps a lot.

I currently have a y580, but have a friend wanting to buy it and am looking at the y500. Is there any way to manually control the fan speeds? I know in my y580 that the fans run 60% or so maxed out by the system temps. at least compared to the speed they ramp to with the "fan dust extraction" setting (which proves software control of fans is possible) even with my modded bios. If you dont care about noise (or wear headphones) then setting the fan/s to 100% would probably help temps a lot.

Unfortunately no one has figured out how to control fan speed manually yet. So much like the Y580, the fan has never run at 100% for me except for when I use the dust removal function in Lenovo Energy management. The Y500 does seem to have better temperatures than the Y580 though so it really has not been an issue other than when I overvolt and overclock the crap out of the gpu's.

Is there a risk of over-tightening or over-pressuring the plates on the CPU and/or GPU? I mean, I'm not going to go crazy and us a vise, but just curious of how much lee-way you'd give it. Maybe until the spring does not have that much space left?

TIA, I'm going to open her up tomorrow, which, at 2 weeks since I've gotten her, is the longest I've waited to open up any laptop I've ever owned....

AFAIK, the drive caddies DO work. There is the mini-SATA connector along-side the ultrabay connector. I have used a drive caddy in my Y500 :)

Can you please send me the link to buy a caddy for my Y500 which works without hardware modding the lappy, though modding the caddy to fit is okay with me.

Thankyou

• 2 weeks later...

I opened up my Y500 today and repasted the CPU, GPU, and Ultrabay GPU. The back cover and keyboard bezel were stuck on pretty tight and took forever because I was afraid of snapping any of the tabs, but I was patient and gentle with them and thankfully nothing broke.

I used OCZ Freeze on the CPU and GPU and IC Diamond on the Ultrabay GPU. The Ultrabay and main GPU had the exact same temperatures before, so this is a good way to see which paste is better. Well, what do you know, all my hard work was for naught. After repasting, temperatures were identical across the board. I'm absolutely certain the high temperatures of this system are not due to bad factory paste jobs but to the sub-par cooling system. A single fan inside a performance/gaming notebook just doesn't cut it here or anywhere else. Look at MSI's overheating G-series for more evidence of this. I have a feeling you could empty a whole tube of whatever crap they use at the factory onto the die and still get the same temperatures.

Also FYI @n1smo the video you followed for your disassembly was of a prototype Y400, not Y500, which is why the layout and screws were different. If you watch the disassembly video closely, you'll see it says Y490 at the bottom left screen bezel. I'm guessing Y490 is what they called it before going with Y400. I was surprised how different some of the motherboard placements in the video were compared to my Y500. For my disassembly I followed the official Lenovo Y400/Y500 hardware maintenance manual, which has the correct, separate instructions for both machines.

I opened up my Y500 today and repasted the CPU, GPU, and Ultrabay GPU. The back cover and keyboard bezel were stuck on pretty tight and took forever because I was afraid was snapping any of the tabs, but I was patient and gentle with them and thankfully nothing broke.

I used OCZ Freeze on the CPU and GPU and IC Diamond on the Ultrabay GPU. The Ultrabay and main GPU had the exact same temperatures before, so this is a good way to see which paste is better. Well, what do you know, all my hard work was for naught. After repasting, temperatures were identical across the board. I'm absolutely certain the high temperatures of this system are not due to bad factory paste jobs but to the sub-par cooling system. A single fan inside a performance/gaming notebook just doesn't cut it here or anywhere else. Look at MSI's overheating G-series for more evidence of this. I have a feeling you could empty a whole tube of whatever crap they use at the factory onto the die and still get the same temperatures.

Also FYI @n1smo the video you followed for your disassembly was of a prototype Y400, not Y500, which is why the layout and screws were different. If you watch the disassembly video closely, you'll see it says Y490 at the bottom left screen bezel. I'm guessing Y490 is what they called it before going with Y400. I was surprised how different some of the motherboard placements in the video were compared to my Y500. For my disassembly I followed the official Lenovo Y400/Y500 hardware maintenance manual, which has the correct, separate instructions for both machines.

I think IC Diamond cure times takes 12 hours. I maybe get shin-etsu because it heard good things about it.

I think IC Diamond cure times takes 12 hours. I maybe get shin-etsu because it heard good things about it.

No it's 2 hours, which has already come and gone with no change. Not that I expected any. I think every single person who has repasted has confirmed that it has either done nothing or increased temperatures.

This was my first and probably last time using IC Diamond. I bought a tube just to try it out this time and don't see why everyone swears by it. OCZ Freeze performs just as good if not better, has no curing time, and is way easier to apply. Good thing I bought like 10 tubes of the stuff before they discontinued it. I should be set for life. :)

ICD will bring down your temps by about 2°C compared to a paste like MX4, but only if applied properly, and only if the heatsink is able to provide some pressure.

Compared with other pastes it is hard to apply and it will scratch the die when you remove it, even if you're doing it super carefully. It has no cure time at all from what I've seen, and the only advantage I noticed when comparing it with other pastes was that it has a lower "bake-out" effect.

If I want to have a clean install my windows 8, do I need to reset my bios back to stock?

No, not necessary if you followed the instructions in the first post and did everything properly.