CPU whining when mouse is moved... weird combination!

deadbydawn

Okay, this is strange: My CPU is whining when i move my mouse.

BUT, here comes the strange part:

It's ONLY when the powersupply is plugged in AND the madcatz R.A.T. 7 USB mouse is used.

If I have the powersupply unplugged, it's not doing it. If i use another USB mouse, it's not doing it either.

And if i have a fullscreend remote connection open the noise isn't as loud as when i move the mouse on the m14x's desktop.

Strange stuff, does anyone have some insight on what's up?

I assume it's some kind of interference...but that's about all i can come up with.

thanks dudes

EDIT: i found out, it's louder on the desktop itself...as soon as the mouse hovers over some window (firefox, mstst, whatever) it's not as loud anymore..as soon as leaving the window again moving over the desktop...it's louder again...

EDIT2: it's doing it with the powersupply unplugged as well, but not as hearable as with the p.s. plugged in.

i'm assuming it, as i used to have this happen a few years before on a desktop. couldn't find out a solution until the cpu died (nothing related...i burnt it with some cooing tests) and i replaced it. whining was gone. other people around the internet have reported the same issue with the moving of a mouse ^^ another thing possible is coil whining.

Yeah if its especially pronounced when you move the mouse, I'd bet it's an electromagnetic interference from the mouse. I sometimes hear something on my Thinkpad X200T but you can only (and barely) hear it if you are in the room that's dead silent.

I had a similar problem recently (noise when I moved the mouse) but I heard the sound on speakers and the reason you could hear the noise because the volume control in Windows was set to very low ~few % of the max and the speakers were set to almost max volume so any EM noise was amplified together with the signal coming from the computer. In that case the solution is to simply amplify the signal coming from the computer (~20%+ of the max volume) and the buzzing went away. In your case, it might be something else producing the noise, however.

• Thumbs Up 2

@unreal25 yeah the prob with noise coming through the speakers isn't new to me, i had to deal with this as well a while ago. :) thanks for your input! it's really puzzling!

@svl7 thought about the same thing. but as those are up to date, i can't update. i will see what happens upon uninstalling the mouse driver.

all drivers removed, plugged in, whining ^^ think i will just have to live with it haha

Sounds a lot like my ex-gf. In the case of Core 2 Duo CPUs, I believe disabling the low-power CPU c-state fixed the buzzing problem (even though as I said in my case the sound is so quiet the only way I could hear it under normal conditions is if I press my ear against the laptop keyboard :) ). It's not happening with other mice?

nah, just with this one! i will test some more mice today to check again.

EDIT: i tested it with two other mice once more and it's definately only happening with the madcatz r.a.t.7! son of a.....

anyways, since i don't think that there's something i can do about it and it's only occuring with this one specific mouse (so there doesn't seem to be a problem on the notebook) i will just live with it :)

thanks for all your inputs dudes!