Hello Everyone - HP 6475b Incoming!

I ordered an HP 6475b from Newegg recently with an AMD Trinity A10-4600m.

Some of you may remember me from NBR (same username). I am noticing a dwindling presence at NBR and am a bit disappointed with the number of quality individuals banned from there. I don't care why or how, I just know that some very helpful and informative individuals have been booted (Tech Inferno Fan comes to the forefront of my mind), and it doesn't make me too happy.

That being said, I will likely share my 6475b review here at T|I instead of NBR. I also am interested in giving this whole eGPU thing a whirl. It really won't matter to me personally since it doesn't fit my usage scenario, but just for the sake of mobile science and my own personal interest, I'll likely give it a whirl. I plan on updating my desktop GPU from a GTX 460 to a GTX 670 and will likely use the 460 in this experiment.

So I guess, hello there, and hope we can have some fun together! :)

So any input ahead of time would be greatly appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hi HTWingNut,

Welcome aboard! Would love to see your first eGPU implementation of a AMD Trinity APU equipped a HP 6475b.

You are coming aboard at a pivotal moment as we are discovering the PE4H 2.4a is Gen2 compliant. That's what I'd recommend for the eGPU hardware. I can see the GTX460 would be a left over from the upgrade. Certainly, would give some decent performance but I've discovered that AMD cards do better in a limited bandwidth configuration. See http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-12-5-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html comparing the NVidia and AMD x1.2 results. The x1.2Opt results do not apply to you as you have no Intel iGPU to activate that mode. Only issue with the AMD card is you'll need a unified driver set for your AMD iGPU+eGPU whereas NVidia would present no such issue. That can either be hacked as INF file entries or can look for a modded driver set that does that already, eg: AMD-DNA.

• Founder

@HTWingNut I saw some of the Clevo reviews you did and they were impressive so I look forward to the pending review. Also just FYI, NBR seizes any review/work you put into their forum as their own. It happened to @Tech Inferno Fan and it just recently happened to @svl7. They restored svl7's work even though he deleted his post's content before their clause took effect. Just a heads-up to anyone who posts at NBR because some posts take hours upon hours of work and in the end you lose all rights to it. At T|I this will never happen, should any poster ever decide they want their post pulled for a reasonable situation, we'd honor that request.

Thanks guys. Tech Inferno Fan I may need your assistance in getting everything up and running but I'm willing to give it a shot. Maybe even invest in an AMD card, although I think I have an AMD Radeon <s>6750</s> 6670 single slot that was used in an older Shuttle machine I've got. Maybe start with that.

EDIT: Correction it's only a Radeon 6670 not 6750. But good enough for a start. :)

Brian - thanks for that info. Only time I'd like to take some stuff with me is if a site goes belly up, well or if I got banned like nando 4 did, and can totally understand that frustration. I look forward to sharing my experiences over here though. Seems like a good community of down to earth people. I'll be making my $100 "Elite Member" contribution here soon, as soon as I get around to poking money back into my PayPal account. BTW awesome rig you've got there in your sig! That's some serious muscle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks guys. Tech Inferno Fan I may need your assistance in getting everything up and running but I'm willing to give it a shot. Maybe even invest in an AMD card, although I think I have an AMD 6750 single slot that was used in an older Shuttle machine I've got. Maybe start with that.

More than happy to give you a hand. Would mean we'd get a Trinity system on our leaderboard. The GTX460 and HD6750 both good ones to get the ball rolling with.

Got the laptop. I'm pretty impressed with the build quality. It's very solid, but the screen sucks, horrible viewing angles and low brightness, but hey at least it's 1600x900 right? Lol.

Scored 1320 on 3DMark11 out of the box (well updated to 12.11 drivers). Now I'll have to start investigating the hardware for this setup for eGPU! :) Between the laptop, my new desktop, and the eGPU I will have forked out nearly $2000. :eek: All for the sake of science right?

So can you maybe handhold me along with what I need to get started?

I have a PSU that I can use. So I will just need PE4H with an EC060A? Not sure what the HP060A is for? And where do I plug in the PSU? Sorry for the newb questions. But thanks for your help.

Edit: ok, I see they have it all as one package PE4H-EC060A. But when I click "buy" it takes me direct to paypal. If I click any of the other packages it adds it to the cart. I think there's something wrong with the link.