setPLL: PLL overclocking tool

[Started 2-12-2011 on NBR. Relocated to T|I due to being banned by Lenovo fan ZaZ]

Download >> setPLL 1.0f[/COLOR] << (2.27MB, 2011-4-4) [/B]
[/CENTER]

User contributed LUT files

[ICS]: ICS9LPRS355BKLF (HP 2510P, Tech Inferno Fan), ICS9LRS3197 (Acer AS5740G, MotoVlad), ICS9LPRS365BKL (Amilo Pi 3560, vladichimescu).

[SILEGO]: SLG8SP585 (Acer AS5740G, MotoVlad).

What is setPLL?

setPLL is a wrapper over r-w everything to program a PLL. Advantages over setfsb being:

1. It's free - no Paypal US$10 donation cost to try an overclock.

2. It's much faster than setfsb in setting your FSB.

3. Unlike setfsb, to set the BCLK it's only writing to the PLL. A PLL read isn't needed so there are no side-effects like sata controllers hanging or problems with sleep followed by resume.

4. The PLL data to be written is fully configurable to your specific requirements.

5. Has an optional resume-from standby/hibernate script to automate your overclock.

What operating systems are supported? Tested: Win7/64 and WinXP x86. Untested: other Win7/Vista/XP.

What PLL definition files are supplied with setPLL?

Alienware: m11xR1, m11xR2

HP: 2510P, 2530P, 2730P, 6730B, HDX9000 MSI: GT627

PLLs: ics9lpr113aklf ics9lprs355bklf ics9lprs387bklf ics9lprs397dklf ics9lprs501pglf rtm875t-606

How do I install and use setPLL?
Spoiler

1. Extract the package to c:setPLL

2. Disable User Access Control (UAC) so will then "Run As Administrator"

3. Go to a command prompt (Press win + r, type cmd and press enter).

4. Run 'cpu', ensure that your BCLK is reported correctly.

Core2Duo SYSTEMS: have an option to run a much faster chkcpu32-based cpu.bat to check current BCLK. Test by 'cd' into chkcpu32, edit 'cpu'

and 'multi' variables in cpu.bat, run 'cpu' and see if it reports your BCLK correctly. If so, copy the files from setPLLchkcpu32 to setPLL. Consider that the default cpu-z based cpu.bat takes 3sec to

report the BCLK. The chkcpu32-based cpu.bat in setPLLchkcpu32 takes 0.7secs so is 4 times faster.

5. Check the commandline syntax by running 'setPLL'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ PROBE the system or READ the PLL to create a myPLL.lut

setPLL shows usage and PLLs available. This screen. setPLL -report {-quiet} report system 'cpu' and 'cpu_bclk' and set as vars setPLL -read read [READBACK_bytes] from PLL and create myPLL.lut setPLL -read [READBACK_bytes] write PLL:0xC=[READBACK_bytes] then '-read' setPLL [PLL] show BCLK and PCIE settings available for PLL

PLL WRITE MODE: write data to the PLL. Do up to 5 retries to set the BCLK. Start with '-preview' to only create setPLL.rw and not write to the PLL. Upon exit will set 'cpu' and 'cpu_bclk' vars as probed from system.

setPLL {-preview} [PLL] [BCLK] {[PCIE]} set BCLK and optional PCIE setPLL [PLL] [BCLK1.BCLK2.BCLK3...BCLKx] [delay] {[PCIE]} incrementally set BCLK1..BCLKx with [delay] seconds (default=1 second, 0=none) setPLL [PLL] RST reset the PLL to bootup BCLK (if in LUT)

[PLL](s) available: Alienware-m11xR1 Alienware-m11xR2 HP-2510P HP-2530P

HP-2730P HP-6730B HP-HDX9000 ics9lpr113aklf ics9lprs355bklf ics9lprs387bklf

ics9lprs397d klf ics9lprs501pglf MSI-GT627 rtm875t-606

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Create your myPLL.lut in setPLL if one doesn't exist for your PLL. Use 'setPLL -read [READBACK_bytes]' or 'setPLL -read' to create myPLL.lut then follow instructions within myPLL.lut. Also refer to existing examples. Check for existing PLL definitions or share yours at:

http://tiny.cc/setPLL-defs

7. run 'setPLL -preview [PLL] [BCLK]' to create a setPLL.rw. Within it are instructions to send it to the PLL via r-w everything for testing. Once confirmed all is OK, can just run 'setPLL [PLL] [BCLK]' instead.

8. If need to do a BCLK ramp then add the incremental BCLKs separated by dots and give your delay (secs) parameter. eg:

setPLL ics9lprs387bklf 266.276.288.298.308.318 5

9. If you want your PLL to be automatically programmed when Windows starts, when switch from AC<->DC or when do a resume-from-standby/hibernate,

then edit the automatedAC-overclock.bat and automatedDC-normal.bat to

your requirements and place a shortcut to setPLLautomated esume.vbs in your Startup folder. It will register itself as a process called wscript,

which you can taskkill if want to disable this feature.

10. OPTIONAL: run 'setIGP' (x3100, 4500MHD) or 'GMABoost' (GMA950) to

configure the IGP's Core Render Clock. Overclocking the BCLK can otherwise

have the IGP running too fast leading to video artifacting, freezing or

just random exits while the IGP is under load, eg: while watching youtube

videos. Flashing RAM to lower spec can also reduce the Core Render clock,

depending on your system's chipset.

See also [url=http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/564464-how-use-setpll-overclock-your-r2-over-166-a.html#post7288744]How to Use SetPLL to overclock your R2 over 166[/url] (thank you DavyGT)

What quirks/bugs does setPLL have?
Spoiler

1. A command-like window will popup in the background. Can get rid of the popup window with one of two ways.

i. disable User Access Control (UAC) in Control Panel or

ii. edit setpllsetpll.bat and change the two entries that containing

rw w /min /command=setPLL.rw %OUT%

to

rw w /min /command=setPLL.rw

2. HDX9000: needs a 'setPLL -read 0x0D' command run before doing the first BCLK set with 'setPLL ics9lprs501pglf [BCLK]' or else it freezes.

3. Dual-IDA mode sees chkcpu32-based 'cpu' reporting the frequency and off by one multipler. This is just a reporting bug. The BCLK is still calculated correctly.

4. If don't have battery in the system when resume-setPLL.vbs starts up then will have a startup error "line 26, char 1: Invalid procedure call or argument", since it requires the PowerManagement module to do AC/DC profile switching. Install the battery to correct this error.

5. 'setPLL -read' will occasionally provide incorrect data with many bytes being 0xFF. Re-run again to get proper data.

What additional utilities are included in setPLL package?

Utility
Purpose
Usage
automatedFolder of scripts to automatically set your AC or DC clocks on
startup, during AC<->DC switch & after a resume-from-standby/
hibernate. Shortcut resume-setPLL.vbs in startup folder to use
Spoiler

'************************************************************************
'User-edittable section
' start_delay: the delay time in msec to delay prior to running AD/DC script
' AC/DC_script: the script OR command to run on initial run, during AC <-> DC
'               switch and on resume-from-standby/hibernate.

Const start_delay=2000 Const AC_script="c:setPLLautomatedAC-overclocked" Const DC_script="c:setPLLautomatedDC-normal"

setIGPto alter the Core Render Clock on GM950/X3100/4500MHD IGPs.
A downclock + Maximum Battery in Intel IGP systray giving
greatest glitch-free stable setPLL overclock.
Spoiler

C:setPLL>setIGP

[detected] 4500MHD @266Mhz CoreRender Clock. Clocks available: 266 320 400 533.

Determine clocks your chipset allows by testing listed clocks: 'setIGP [clock]' setIGP only detects GMA950, X3100 & 4500MHD IGPs. i-core IGPs cannot be set. For highest overclock, set lowest Render clock &Max Battery in IGP System Tray.

GMAboostGMABooster clone to do a netbook GMA950 overclock.
Spoiler

C:setPLL>gmaboost

Usage: GMAboost [ 400 | 250 | 200 ]

Set a GMA950 IGP to the desired Core Render Clock Mhz. Duplicates 'GMABooster'.

HPfanutility to to save/load HP Elitebook fan profiles.
Spoiler

C:setPLL>hpfan

HP Elitebook SMSC-controller based fan control

HPfan ac [-save] : apply AC profile HPfan dc [-save] : apply DC profile HPfan hp [-save] : apply HP profile - set back to HP defaults -save : save current fan params to the specified profile. Do the AC & DC profile after setting fan with hwinfo32. HPfan -clear : delete existing AC, DC and HP profiles

DSDTiasl+asl utils to create a custom DSDT override for fan control.N/A
devset(devcon) ~Device Manager for use in your batch files/scripts.devcon commandline
Acknowledgments

Thank you to maddi2k, Moral Hazard, DavyGT and 2.0 for testing and supply confirmed working [PLL].lut example files; Jeff, the author of r-w everything, for providing his most excellent SMBUS read/write ability with his package plus enhancements.

Revision history
Spoiler

1.0f (4-4-11)
--------------

NEW: Additional OC related utilities included. automated - Folder of scripts to do automated overclock. setIGP - to increase/decrease Core Render Clock on GM950/X3100 GMAboost - a GMABooster clone to do a netbook GMA950 overclock HPfan - to save/load HP Elitebook fan profiles

DSDT - iasl+asl to create a custom DSDT override for fan control

devset - (devcon) to optionally enable/disable devices NEW: setPLL -report now sets 'cpu' and 'cpu_bclk' DOS variable for your own batch file queries. Also does this after setting a BCLK. NEW: '-read' now dumps [READBACK_BYTE (0xC)] bytes as is set on PLL NEW: '-read [READBACK_bytes]' sets that PLL register then does '-read' NEW: Added half-multiplier support to chkcpu32-based cpu.bat NEW: start_delay parameter in resume-setPLL.vbs NEW: no longer have brief r-w minimized startup flash screen. FIX: PLL smbus read/write command endbyte was off by one byte FIX: pcie line fixed in myPLL.lut template creation. FIX: more accurate cpu_bclk frequency reporting FIX: removed last delay after setting the final BCLK in a list UPDATE: Added 127,129,131,133 pci-e clocks to ics9lprs387/397 UPDATE: ics9lprs501pglf.lut revised and tested on HDX9000.

UDPATE: revised commandline usage output. UPDATE: cpuz 1.56 -> cpu-z 1.57. UPDATE: r-w everything 1.4.9.1->1.4.9.10. New /command /stdout parms.

1.0e (3-14-11) --------------

BUG FIX: to be able to run setPLL by giving it's full path, eg:

c:setPLLsetPLL ics.. so resume-setPLL.vbs will now work. BUG FIX: delay was off by 1 second. BUG FIX: ics9lprs387bklf to allow pci-e clock changes. Added -read param to read PLL data and initialise myPLL.lut Set default delay parameter when specifying a list of BCLKs to 1 second. Added comments explaining PLL config registers to ics9lprs387/397.LUT Fixed some typos and revised in setPLL.txt Included DavyGT's latest m11xR2.lut up to 197Mhz BCLK

1.0d (3-1-11)

--------------

Commandline syntax changed. If using -preview it must be first

Added PCIE clock options to commandline Using new r-w BSWAP command (swap little/big endian) so can now create LUT.bat files by transcribing setfsb format directly Changed existing LUT files to setfsb format Added PCIE clocks to ics9lprs387/397 LUT files Updated r-w everythng to 1.4.9.1

1.0c (2-19-11)

--------------

Changed cpu.bat to use CrystalCPUID as the default mechanism to report the BCLK. chkcpu32-based cpu.bat supplied in extras directory Improved speed by not reporting current FSB when doing a PLL write Cut down rw-everything to be only required files Added partial HDX9000 ics9lprs501pglf PLL Added RST BCLK entry to ics9lprs387/397 and ics9lprs355

1.0b (2-17-11)

--------------

Replaced chkcpu32 with CrystalCPUID for better BCLK reporting Changed all references from FSB to the more accurate BCLK Skip comparison to current BCLK. Always write PLL unless do -preview Updated to r-w everything 1.4.9 Include m11xR2 PLL

1.0a (2-13-11)

--------------

Released with r-w everything that runs minimized

1.00 (2-12-11)

---------------

Initial release.

• Thumbs Up 10

The fan control looks interesting and I'll try it out. Unless 2 cores are in C6 the system will reduce my multiplier by 1 at 70C, and again at 80C. The BIOS doesn't set the fan to full blast until 85C, so fan control would be nice. With speedfan I can set the fan, but in less than half a second the BIOS overrides my setting, slowing the fan back down again. If I hit the keys really fast I can kinda overpower the BIOS, but that isn't very practical.

The fan control looks interesting and I'll try it out. Unless 2 cores are in C6 the system will reduce my multiplier by 1 at 70C, and again at 80C. The BIOS doesn't set the fan to full blast until 85C, so fan control would be nice. With speedfan I can set the fan, but in less than half a second the BIOS overrides my setting, slowing the fan back down again. If I hit the keys really fast I can kinda overpower the BIOS, but that isn't very practical.

The fan control in setPLL works with HP 2530P and probably other Montevina (last C2D) and Calpella (1st gen i-core) HP Elitebook units. No Dell unfortunately. However, try the the FN+15324 trick explained at diefer.de - The 15324 trick and one happy E4300 owner . I can see too that i8kfangui doesn't work based on your comments at E6520 Owner's Thread - Page 64 so speedfan looks to be it.

The fan control in setPLL works with HP 2530P and probably other Montevina (last C2D) and Calpella (1st gen i-core) HP Elitebook units. No Dell unfortunately. However, try the the FN+15324 trick explained at diefer.de - The 15324 trick and one happy E4300 owner . I can see too that i8kfangui doesn't work based on your comments at E6520 Owner's Thread - Page 64 so speedfan looks to be it.

Already tried that trick. They removed it with 6 series :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

Try HWiNFO to control your fans, if it doesn't work out of the box, contact @Mumak (the author), in many cases he can enable fan control quite easily, depends on the machine really.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I just discovered this program, which seems a great alternative to setFSB! Congrats!

I'm trying to overclock a Vaio vgn-fe21 with a T7200 cpu. I was using setFSB and it was very easy to increase the fsb clock, but I was a little concerned because overclocking the fsb was also increasing the ram frequency, PCI and PCI-E bus frequencies. Does this also apply to OC by using setPLL instead of setFSB?

I've googled for the subject but I haven't been able to find out what the consequences would be with an overclocked ram, PCI and PCI-E. In particular I'm concerned about PCI and PCI-E, because I have no idea if this could fry the connected peripherals (the gpu?) or maybe the motherboard too. How far should I go with this to avoid risking my hardware?

Thanks.

Wow, I just discovered this program, which seems a great alternative to setFSB! Congrats!

I'm trying to overclock a Vaio vgn-fe21 with a T7200 cpu. I was using setFSB and it was very easy to increase the fsb clock, but I was a little concerned because overclocking the fsb was also increasing the ram frequency, PCI and PCI-E bus frequencies. Does this also apply to OC by using setPLL instead of setFSB?

I've googled for the subject but I haven't been able to find out what the consequences would be with an overclocked ram, PCI and PCI-E. In particular I'm concerned about PCI and PCI-E, because I have no idea if this could fry the connected peripherals (the gpu?) or maybe the motherboard too. How far should I go with this to avoid risking my hardware?

Thanks.

setPLL was written originally because I wanted to overclock a 2530P's FSB to run faster CPU+MEM and more importantly, overclock the pci-e bus for faster eGPU performance. It uses look up table files (.LUT) to program your PLL, an idea that I got from perusing a setFSB clone for Linux.

I also wanted it to be *free* so other 2530P users could do the same. It was important too that users could add their own PLL to be supported. Anybody who has a programmable (not TME-locked) PLL, has the PLL datasheet and can decipher it would be able to add support for their machine. setPLL is also considerably faster at programming the PLL than setFSB is.

To answer your question, it will depend on how programmable you PLL is to answer whether the FSB and pci-e clocks can be programmed separately. The example LUT files included with setPLL have both the FSB and PCI-E clocks for several PLLs where both can have both programmed.

I found that pci-e overclocks over 12% usually result in the wifi card failing.

I see, thanks. I'm now compiling the lut file for my Vaio FE21. SetFSB doesn't let me use the PCI-E slider, but only the main slider which overclocks everything. Does this mean with my PLL there is no way to overclock the fsb and the pci-e bus separately?

When you say wi-fi card failure, do you mean that it'll definitely brake or just that it won't work until I downclock the bus?

Anyway, as soon as I get the lut file working I'll upload it so you can add it to this great program!

@Nando

Is it possible to add additional BCLKs to setPLL for a supplied definition PLL? The provided definition .lut file for ics9LPRS387bklf BCLKs start at 266 and go through 357. Unfortunately that’s too high for my use. I need it to start at BLCK of 200. How can I add BCLK 200 to 265? Edit: never mind, I now understand after looking further into the lut file.:nevreness:

Background:

I have an Acer eMachines E725-4520, PLL, GL40 chipset & T4400 x11 800MHz FSB CPU. I just recently completed a PLL hardware mod to enable TME (pin #14 to gnd via 10K resistor). I used the freeware setFSB with the PLL diagnosis clock generator (9LPRS387 is not supported) to manually set the registers as shown by Dufus here: M11x clock generator ICS9LPRS387BKLF - Page 12 I was able to increase BCLK from 200 to 217MHz, going any higher I get a white screen.

Trying for a higher OC, I then increased the CPU voltage via a CPU pin mod of +.1V, which I confirmed by the moderate increased heat. But again a white screen at 217Mhz with no improvement in BCLK. Memory is not the issue either as mem peaks at 433Mhz with this small OC and current SPD memory timings of 6-6-6-18 at the lowest JEDEC of 457MHz 6-6-6-18, so plenty of room.

post-10063-14494994300193_thumb.jpg

In an attempt to achieve a higher OC and bypass setFSB incase I was doing something wrong there, I attempted an FSLx PLL pin mod from 200 to 266 by disconnecting the CPU and MCH from the PLL on pin #2 (FSLB) and then connecting pin #2 to gnd. GL40 only supports 667/800FSB. But I was in hopes this would allow me to trick the CPU and Chipset to 266Mhz. However, it would not POST, so I backed it out.

I’m not sure what the limiting factor is in both instances, maybe it’s the GL40 chipset..? Any help would be appreciated as I’m trying to stretch the life of this laptop.

@Nando

Is it possible to add additional BCLKs to setPLL for a supplied definition PLL? The provided definition .lut file for ics9LPRS387bklf BCLKs start at 266 and go through 357. Unfortunately that’s too high for my use. I need it to start at BLCK of 200. How can I add BCLK 200 to 265? Edit: never mind, I now understand after looking further into the lut file.:nevreness:

Background:

I have an Acer eMachines E725-4520, PLL, GL40 chipset & T4400 x11 800MHz FSB CPU. I just recently completed a PLL hardware mod to enable TME (pin #14 to gnd via 10K resistor). I used the freeware setFSB with the PLL diagnosis clock generator (9LPRS387 is not supported) to manually set the registers as shown by Dufus here: M11x clock generator ICS9LPRS387BKLF - Page 12 I was able to increase BCLK from 200 to 217MHz, going any higher I get a white screen.

Trying for a higher OC, I then increased the CPU voltage via a CPU pin mod of +.1V, which I confirmed by the moderate increased heat. But again a white screen at 217Mhz with no improvement in BCLK. Memory is not the issue either as mem peaks at 433Mhz with this small OC and current SPD memory timings of 6-6-6-18 at the lowest JEDEC of 457MHz 6-6-6-18, so plenty of room.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6032[/ATTACH]

In an attempt to achieve a higher OC and bypass setFSB incase I was doing something wrong there, I attempted an FSLx PLL pin mod from 200 to 266 by disconnecting the CPU and MCH from the PLL on pin #2 (FSLB) and then connecting pin #2 to gnd. GL40 only supports 667/800FSB. But I was in hopes this would allow me to trick the CPU and Chipset to 266Mhz. However, it would not POST, so I backed it out.

I’m not sure what the limiting factor is in both instances, maybe it’s the GL40 chipset..? Any help would be appreciated as I’m trying to stretch the life of this laptop.

Try decreasing your 4500MHD iGPU clocks by setting the Intel GFX control panel to "Maximum battery". Then use setIGP command bundled with setPLL to lower 266MHz/320Mhz core render clocks. Sometimes the OC wall is the iGPU.

Usually when do such overclocks the RAM timings need to be slowed down too. Presumably your system is booting with the CAS=6. If you removed that entry using say Thaiphoon Burner, can you get the the system to boot with the slower CAS=7 entry?

• 3 months later...

I'd like to say thank you for this magnificent work.

I've been using RW everything for some years now, mainly to write to my C2D's registers so I could disable IDA and change VIDs(voltages). I tried in the past to figure some way to make RWe write to the PLL registers via commands, but never got it working. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

I know that nowadays people ditched the old C2Ds and are now running on i7 and so forth, but for people like me that still have that old laptop at home and want to give it a new life, I would like to suggest some addictions to your script. For control and stability purposes, it would be wise to include an IDA disable routine plus VID modification for everyone that still use those models.

What we need to do is to write directly to the MSR registers via the address 0x199. Bit 0 of EDX enables or disables IDA, a functionality that is useful performance wise but can lead to instability if used while OCing. Changing that bit to 1 disables IDA. Next is the VID control area which consists in the first two hex values of the EAX. It is useful if you want to fine tune your OC while keeping the temperatures in their lowest possible values, reducing the voltage until the desired frequency is no longer stable.

We can even create very low power usage profiles, with lower voltages and if desired lower frequencies(or SLFM) that can easily be toggled when OC is not needed(like doing some light work or just browsing the web). The syntax of the command is this:

Rw /Min /Command="CPU 1;WRMSR 0x199 0x00000001 0x00000D25;CPU 2;WRMSR 0x199 0x00000001 0x00000D25;RwExit"

Relevant MSR structure:

msrb.png

To the date I've been using both my command and your script separately but I think that integrating the MSR command into setPLL.rw is not difficult. Would this syntax be correct?

>CPU 1;WRMSR 0x199 0x00000001 0x00000D25
>CPU 2;WRMSR 0x199 0x00000001 0x00000D25
>local0=0xFFFFFF0000000A31
>local1=0x187F15CDC4E92F00
>local2=0xFF6108D534000000
>local0=bswap(local0)
>local1=bswap(local1)
>local2=bswap(local2)
>local33=sub(0x3C , 1)
>smbus write block 0xd2 0 local33
>rwexit

In the meantime I've been playing around with RWe and the SMBus. It seems that in my system(ICS9LPR363) writing all at once can sometimes randomly crash the system instantly. I've altered the routine in a way that only one byte is changed per run. That way I've stopped this to happening.

My script(still in a basic state) consists in calling several bat files, each one with one run. In the first I change the voltages to max and disable the IDA, then run 3 bat files with one byte change each(only need to change 3 bytes).

main script bat:

call OCVID.bat
timeout /t 10 /nobreak
call PLL.bat
timeout /t 10 /nobreak
call PLL2.bat
timeout /t 10 /nobreak
call PLL3.bat

one of the ppl.rw examples(current byte change to 7F in the offset 09):

>local0=0x7F00000000000000
>local0=bswap(local0)
>smbus write block 0xd2 0x09 0x09
>rwexit

Hi, i was looking for something to overclock gpu intel gma 500. I have noticed that you are using rweverthing to change freq with your setigp and gmaboost.

From gma500 datasheet graphic clock controll is a little bit different from others intel gpu.

GCFC is located in:

Address F0h-F3h

Default 00000002h

Size 32bit

Bit 31:2 are reserved

3:2 10b 01=ratio is 2:1

1:0 10b ->

01=ratio is 2:1 for 200mhz at fsb 100mhz

266mhz at 133mhz

10=ratio is 3:2 for 200mhz at 133mhz

Opening intel vga device with rweverithing

F0=06 F1=00 F2=FF F3=01 (gma500 at 200mhz).

What do you think?

On my device fsb is 133mhz but with standard setting 3:2 gma is set to 200.

I need to change to ratio 2:1

Maybe you can get more infos on gma500booster.blogspot

• 2 months later...

new setPLL definitions available: Fujitsu 3560 and Gateway P79

- download freeware http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/download/ver22/setfsb_2_2_134_98.zip : select PLL Diagnosis and get fsb, change the 0C register from value 0D to 16, apply and save a screenshot and send it to me

- get http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.66-en.zip :save screenshot to tabs: CPU and Memory

Edited by vladichimescu
resource update
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to setPLL and I was trying it out on my different computers. They were not the ones with the .lut files pre-made. So i just tried creating the mypll.lut file, and hoped to get to OverClock it from there. Just wondering if there was a something i was missing out, as when i create mypll.lut file, it says instructions are within the file, so I open up the file, and try to add BCLKs in the BCLK part, wasn't sure how it works, but figured id try that.

I'm trying this out on a Lenovo x120e.

• 3 months later...

sir i have a problem .. i did the same as u said bt failed 2 complile my own pll. i have fintek pll chip.. msi7641 mobo and amd fx 4300 processor.. i give this values in the file :-

:: PLL: f71868ada212labcox700

:: SYSTEM: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX)

:: BCLK: 3800mhz

:: PCIE: 3800-4000mhz

:: AUTHOR: Fintek

was i doing right ? wat should i do now

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am new to overclocking! I have a Toshiba A505-S6020 with i7-820qm. I think my clock generator chip is nct1063y-585. Anyway, after creating "mypll.lut" I ran the command "setpll mypll" but I got "none." There is no BCLK available settings for me. Why? I have a feeling that my clock generator is TME locked... If so, how can I overcome this and oc my laptop? Thanks for your your help!

• 1 year later...
setPLL was written originally because I wanted to overclock a 2530P's FSB to run faster CPU+MEM and more importantly, overclock the pci-e bus for faster eGPU performance. It uses look up table files (.LUT) to program your PLL, an idea that I got from perusing a setFSB clone for Linux.

I also wanted it to be *free* so other 2530P users could do the same. It was important too that users could add their own PLL to be supported. Anybody who has a programmable (not TME-locked) PLL, has the PLL datasheet and can decipher it would be able to add support for their machine. setPLL is also considerably faster at programming the PLL than setFSB is.

To answer your question, it will depend on how programmable you PLL is to answer whether the FSB and pci-e clocks can be programmed separately. The example LUT files included with setPLL have both the FSB and PCI-E clocks for several PLLs where both can have both programmed.

I found that pci-e overclocks over 12% usually result in the wifi card failing.

Hi, thanks for this program! I am trying to overclock my old Inspiron 9300 just for fun. I have found my PLL on the motherboard, it's ICS954201. Using SetFSB, the PCI slider is disabled for this PLL. This results in the overclock quickly becoming unstable after only 1-2MHZ FSB increase. It looks like the HDD locks up. If I create my own LUT file, do you think I'll be able to increase FSB and specify the stock PCI-E clock?

• 5 years later...
On 1/13/2013 at 6:18 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

[Started 2-12-2011 on NBR. Relocated to T|I due to being banned by Lenovo fan ZaZ]

Download >> setPLL 1.0f[/COLOR] << (2.27MB, 2011-4-4) [/B]
[/CENTER]

User contributed LUT files

[ICS]: ICS9LPRS355BKLF (HP 2510P, Tech Inferno Fan), ICS9LRS3197 (Acer AS5740G, MotoVlad), ICS9LPRS365BKL (Amilo Pi 3560, vladichimescu).

[SILEGO]: SLG8SP585 (Acer AS5740G, MotoVlad).

What is setPLL?What operating systems are supported? Tested: Win7/64 and WinXP x86. Untested: other Win7/Vista/XP.

What PLL definition files are supplied with setPLL?

How do I install and use setPLL?

Reveal hidden contents

1. Extract the package to c:setPLL

2. Disable User Access Control (UAC) so will then "Run As Administrator"

3. Go to a command prompt (Press win + r, type cmd and press enter).

4. Run 'cpu', ensure that your BCLK is reported correctly.

Core2Duo SYSTEMS: have an option to run a much faster chkcpu32-based
     cpu.bat to check current BCLK. Test by 'cd' into chkcpu32, edit 'cpu'

and 'multi' variables in cpu.bat, run 'cpu' and see if it reports
     your BCLK correctly. If so,  copy the files from setPLLchkcpu32 to
     setPLL. Consider that the default cpu-z based cpu.bat takes 3sec to

report the BCLK. The chkcpu32-based cpu.bat in setPLLchkcpu32 takes
     0.7secs so is 4 times faster.

5. Check the commandline syntax by running 'setPLL'.

PROBE the system or READ the PLL to create a myPLL.lut

setPLL                  shows usage and PLLs available. This screen.
   setPLL -report {-quiet} report system 'cpu' and 'cpu_bclk' and set as vars
   setPLL -read            read [READBACK_bytes] from PLL and create myPLL.lut
   setPLL -read [READBACK_bytes] write PLL:0xC=[READBACK_bytes] then '-read'
   setPLL [PLL]            show BCLK and PCIE settings available for PLL

PLL WRITE MODE: write data to the PLL. Do up to 5 retries to set the BCLK.
   Start with '-preview' to only create setPLL.rw and not write to the PLL.
   Upon exit will set 'cpu' and 'cpu_bclk' vars as probed from system.

setPLL {-preview} [PLL] [BCLK] {[PCIE]}  set BCLK and optional PCIE
   setPLL [PLL] [BCLK1.BCLK2.BCLK3...BCLKx] [delay] {[PCIE]}
                                   incrementally set BCLK1..BCLKx with [delay]
                                     seconds (default=1 second, 0=none)
   setPLL [PLL] RST                reset the PLL to bootup BCLK (if in LUT)

[PLL](s) available: Alienware-m11xR1 Alienware-m11xR2 HP-2510P HP-2530P

HP-2730P HP-6730B HP-HDX9000 ics9lpr113aklf ics9lprs355bklf ics9lprs387bklf

ics9lprs397d klf ics9lprs501pglf MSI-GT627 rtm875t-606

6. Create your myPLL.lut in setPLL if one doesn't exist for your PLL. Use
   'setPLL -read [READBACK_bytes]' or 'setPLL -read' to create myPLL.lut then
   follow instructions within myPLL.lut. Also refer to existing examples.
   Check for existing PLL definitions or share yours at:

http://tiny.cc/setPLL-defs

7. run 'setPLL -preview [PLL] [BCLK]' to create a setPLL.rw. Within it are
   instructions to send it to the PLL via r-w everything for testing.  Once
   confirmed all is OK, can just run 'setPLL [PLL] [BCLK]' instead.

8. If need to do a BCLK ramp then add the incremental BCLKs separated by dots
   and give your delay (secs) parameter. eg:

setPLL ics9lprs387bklf 266.276.288.298.308.318 5

9. If you want your PLL to be automatically programmed when Windows starts,
   when switch from AC<->DC or when do a resume-from-standby/hibernate,

then edit the automatedAC-overclock.bat and automatedDC-normal.bat to

your requirements and place a shortcut to setPLLautomated
esume.vbs in
   your Startup folder. It will register itself as a process called wscript,

which you can taskkill if want to disable this feature.

10. OPTIONAL: run 'setIGP' (x3100, 4500MHD) or 'GMABoost' (GMA950) to

configure the IGP's Core Render Clock. Overclocking the BCLK can otherwise

have the IGP running too fast leading to video artifacting, freezing or

just random exits while the IGP is under load, eg: while watching youtube

videos. Flashing RAM to lower spec can also reduce the Core Render clock,

depending on your system's chipset.

See also How to Use SetPLL to overclock your R2 over 166 (thank you DavyGT)

What quirks/bugs does setPLL have?

Reveal hidden contents

1. A command-like window will popup in the background. Can get rid of the popup window with one of two ways.

i. disable User Access Control (UAC) in Control Panel or

ii. edit setpllsetpll.bat and change the two entries that containing

rw w /min /command=setPLL.rw %OUT%

to

rw w /min /command=setPLL.rw

2. HDX9000: needs a 'setPLL -read 0x0D' command run before doing the first BCLK set with 'setPLL ics9lprs501pglf [BCLK]' or else it freezes.

3. Dual-IDA mode sees chkcpu32-based 'cpu' reporting the frequency and off by one multipler. This is just a reporting bug. The BCLK is still calculated correctly.

4. If don't have battery in the system when resume-setPLL.vbs starts up then will have a startup error "line 26, char 1: Invalid procedure call or argument", since it requires the PowerManagement module to do AC/DC profile switching. Install the battery to correct this error.

5. 'setPLL -read' will occasionally provide incorrect data with many bytes being 0xFF. Re-run again to get proper data.

What additional utilities are included in setPLL package?

Utility
Purpose
Usage
automated Folder of scripts to automatically set your AC or DC clocks on
startup, during AC<->DC switch & after a resume-from-standby/
hibernate. Shortcut resume-setPLL.vbs in startup folder to use
  Reveal hidden contents

'User-edittable section
' start_delay: the delay time in msec to delay prior to running AD/DC script
' AC/DC_script: the script OR command to run on initial run, during AC <-> DC
'               switch and on resume-from-standby/hibernate.

Const start_delay=2000
Const AC_script="c:setPLLautomatedAC-overclocked"
Const DC_script="c:setPLLautomatedDC-normal"

setIGP to alter the Core Render Clock on GM950/X3100/4500MHD IGPs.
A downclock + Maximum Battery in Intel IGP systray giving
greatest glitch-free stable setPLL overclock.
  Reveal hidden contents

C:setPLL>setIGP

[detected] 4500MHD @266Mhz CoreRender Clock. Clocks available: 266 320 400 533.

Determine clocks your chipset allows by testing listed clocks: 'setIGP [clock]'
setIGP only detects GMA950, X3100 & 4500MHD IGPs. i-core IGPs cannot be set.
For highest overclock, set lowest Render clock &Max Battery in IGP System Tray.

GMAboost GMABooster clone to do a netbook GMA950 overclock.
  Reveal hidden contents

C:setPLL>gmaboost

Usage: GMAboost [ 400 | 250 | 200 ]

Set a GMA950 IGP to the desired Core Render Clock Mhz. Duplicates 'GMABooster'.

HPfan utility to to save/load HP Elitebook fan profiles.
  Reveal hidden contents

C:setPLL>hpfan

HP Elitebook SMSC-controller based fan control

HPfan ac [-save] : apply AC profile
HPfan dc [-save] : apply DC profile
HPfan hp [-save] : apply HP profile - set back to HP defaults
          -save  : save current fan params to the specified profile. Do
                   the AC & DC profile after setting fan with hwinfo32.
HPfan -clear     : delete existing AC, DC and HP profiles

DSDT iasl+asl utils to create a custom DSDT override for fan control. N/A
devset (devcon) ~Device Manager for use in your batch files/scripts. devcon commandline

Acknowledgments

Thank you to maddi2k, Moral Hazard, DavyGT and 2.0 for testing and supply confirmed working [PLL].lut example files; Jeff, the author of r-w everything, for providing his most excellent SMBUS read/write ability with his package plus enhancements.

Revision history

Reveal hidden contents

1.0f (4-4-11)
--------------

NEW: Additional OC related utilities included.
     automated -	Folder of scripts to do automated overclock.
      setIGP - to increase/decrease Core Render Clock on GM950/X3100
     GMAboost - a GMABooster clone to do a netbook GMA950 overclock
     HPfan - to save/load HP Elitebook fan profiles

DSDT - iasl+asl to create a custom DSDT override for fan control

devset - (devcon) to optionally enable/disable devices
NEW: setPLL -report now sets 'cpu' and 'cpu_bclk' DOS variable for
     your own batch file queries. Also does this after setting a BCLK.
NEW: '-read' now dumps [READBACK_BYTE (0xC)] bytes as is set on PLL
NEW: '-read [READBACK_bytes]' sets that PLL register then does '-read'
NEW: Added half-multiplier support to chkcpu32-based cpu.bat
NEW: start_delay parameter in resume-setPLL.vbs
NEW: no longer have brief r-w minimized startup flash screen.
FIX: PLL smbus read/write command endbyte was off by one byte
FIX: pcie line fixed in myPLL.lut template creation.
FIX: more accurate cpu_bclk frequency reporting
FIX: removed last delay after setting the final BCLK in a list
UPDATE: Added 127,129,131,133 pci-e clocks to ics9lprs387/397
UPDATE: ics9lprs501pglf.lut revised and tested on HDX9000.

UDPATE: revised commandline usage output.
UPDATE: cpuz 1.56 -> cpu-z 1.57.
UPDATE: r-w everything  1.4.9.1->1.4.9.10. New /command /stdout parms.

1.0e (3-14-11)
--------------

BUG FIX: to be able to run setPLL by giving it's full path, eg:

c:setPLLsetPLL ics.. so resume-setPLL.vbs will now work.
BUG FIX: delay was off by 1 second.
BUG FIX: ics9lprs387bklf to allow pci-e clock changes.
Added -read param to read PLL data and initialise myPLL.lut
Set default delay parameter when specifying a list of BCLKs to 1 second.
Added comments explaining PLL config registers to ics9lprs387/397.LUT
Fixed some typos and revised in setPLL.txt
Included DavyGT's latest m11xR2.lut up to 197Mhz BCLK

1.0d (3-1-11)

--------------

Commandline syntax changed. If using -preview it must be first

Added PCIE clock options to commandline
Using new r-w BSWAP command (swap little/big endian) so can now
  create LUT.bat files by transcribing setfsb format directly
Changed existing LUT files to setfsb format
Added PCIE clocks to ics9lprs387/397 LUT files
Updated r-w everythng to 1.4.9.1

1.0c (2-19-11)

--------------

Changed cpu.bat to use CrystalCPUID as the default mechanism to
  report the BCLK. chkcpu32-based cpu.bat supplied in extras directory
Improved speed by not reporting current FSB when doing a PLL write
Cut down rw-everything to be only required files
Added partial HDX9000 ics9lprs501pglf PLL
Added RST BCLK entry to ics9lprs387/397 and ics9lprs355

1.0b (2-17-11)

--------------

Replaced chkcpu32 with CrystalCPUID for better BCLK reporting
Changed all references from FSB to the more accurate BCLK
Skip comparison to current BCLK. Always write PLL unless do -preview
Updated to r-w everything 1.4.9
Include m11xR2 PLL

1.0a (2-13-11)

--------------

Released with r-w everything that runs minimized

1.00 (2-12-11)

---------------

Initial release. 

Hello, sorry for bringing up this really old thread but I was hoping that someone still has a copy of setPLL, I really need it to see if I can change the clock on my PC but I can't find the program anywhere, every link I tried is broken. I would greatly appreciate if someone manages to upload this program again