Which SSD fit the best for m14 r1??

zizzzac

Been using this for around half year, and been thinking what brand of SSD should i use? I've surf around the net and stated that some of the users may face boot/startup problem or even BSOD when fit in secondary ssd. this is my first time of using SSD, and samsung/intel caught my attention since many people recommend them in terms of stability and performance. Though ssd just work at sata 2 speed in m14 r1, but i saw the solutions in here which able to make the SSD work at sata 3 speed. Looking at the ssd read/write running at SATA 3 speed, it really make me cant wait to get one as i was using a 1TB 5400rpm HDD(takes 1-2 minutes boot up time). But i don't wanted to get my laptop into troubles after installing 1, any recommend/advise are appreciate, thanks!

Been using this for around half year, and been thinking what brand of SSD should i use? I've surf around the net and stated that some of the users may face boot/startup problem or even BSOD when fit in secondary ssd. this is my first time of using SSD, and samsung/intel caught my attention since many people recommend them in terms of stability and performance. Though ssd just work at sata 2 speed in m14 r1, but i saw the solutions in here which able to make the SSD work at sata 3 speed. Looking at the ssd read/write running at SATA 3 speed, it really make me cant wait to get one as i was using a 1TB 5400rpm HDD(takes 1-2 minutes boot up time). But i don't wanted to get my laptop into troubles after installing 1, any recommend/advise are appreciate, thanks!

Of the "old" M14xR1, installed the Samsung SSD, I think version 830, (I have taken with mechanical hd), if you do not want problems you think agree stay on these SSDs, because even with bios A08 over sata2 not go.

Ciao :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I've gathered, the R1 originally supported SATA3 speeds, but Dell disabled SATA3 support via a BIOS update at some point (for reasons yet unknown). If you're going to use the custom firmware, then going all out on a Samsung 840 Pro seems like an idea if you can afford it. If you don't use your optical drive then you can replace that with an SSD. Be wary though, that the R1 doesn't support mSATA SSDs where the later M14x models do.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have money go for the 840 pro, but really a regular 840 and even the crucial m4 will work well. Specs wise the later two cannot compare to the pro, but in real use, the differences are not huge and you probably wont recognize it.

• 4 months later...

I've just installed a 840 Pro in my m14x R1 works great and has no issue's so far, Runs at sata 2 speeds but i'm yet to try the bios fix, hoping i can get it up to full speed with that. I've got my ssd in the primary bay and a hdd in place of the dvd drive was a simple process. alienware laptops are great to work with in my opinion.

• 6 months later...

If anyone has experience using the 840 Pro and has also used the Sandisk Extreme 2 SSD, does the 840 Pro performance justify the cost over the Extreme 2? I've read that the Extreme 2 is decent but I have found a good price for it compared to other drives.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a huge performance difference with Samsung SSD and the Crucial SSD? I'm planning to get the MSATA crucial 240gb tom for my m14x r1, I've been seeing posts which says that it's not compatible but there's a way to make it work right? :D Would it be safer to get samsung SSD? though really leaning on getting MSATA cause of budget constraints

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a 240 GB Seagate 600 for $90 because of the great price/performance ratio. If I had money to burn I would probably go with a Samsung 840 Pro, but I can't justify spending that much, especially with how SSD prices are dropping.

• 3 weeks later...

at micro center the sell SSD that fit small laptops i have one in my alienware m15x in the cd drive bay now i run a 320 GD HD and 120 GB SSD not only that the SSD only cost me 65 bucks

I installed a Samsung 840 Evo in my m14x, I thought it was a good deal for the price and it was a nice jump in performance over the stock 500Gb drive that has been in there since I bought it. I am curious how noticeable the BIOS fix will be so I am playing around for a while at SATA 2 speeds before I try the BIOS fix. Honestly for me, casual gamer, picture editor, SATA 2 is nice but my inner geeks wants to get the most out of any system I use.

I installed a Samsung 840 Evo in my m14x, I thought it was a good deal for the price and it was a nice jump in performance over the stock 500Gb drive that has been in there since I bought it. I am curious how noticeable the BIOS fix will be so I am playing around for a while at SATA 2 speeds before I try the BIOS fix. Honestly for me, casual gamer, picture editor, SATA 2 is nice but my inner geeks wants to get the most out of any system I use.

EVO 500gb, 16gb ram, Win 8.1Update1, A08 Bios Mod with SATA fix, start in 8 seconds. :Banane32:

fantastic :)

Ciao :joyous:

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...
EVO 500gb, 16gb ram, Win 8.1Update1, A08 Bios Mod with SATA fix, start in 8 seconds. :Banane32:

fantastic :)

Ciao :joyous:

I seem to recall some driver support issues with going to 8.1 on the M14xR1. Does all of the AlienFX functionality still work?

Just installed an Evo 250GB myself and liking it so far.

I seem to recall some driver support issues with going to 8.1 on the M14xR1. Does all of the AlienFX functionality still work?

Alienware Command Center I work without any problems, and since I upgraded to Win8.1 Update1 has solved the problem a slow start, now in 8 seconds Win8.1 is active.

Ciao :Banane21:

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Windows 8.1 yesterday and noticed my Nvidia GPU won't kick in while running games. Updating drivers won't work. However, I went back to Windows 8 and upgraded it to Windows 8.1 and everything seemed to work fine. You can use all Command Center functions except the webcam login on Windows 8.1

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought samsung evo 120 gb and there is a huge difference between a hdd and ssd as far as I can see. I decided to buy samsung evo because a lot of reviews I read said that the price/performance is the best which is what I need. A friend of mine who works on OS's recommended me that Pro is better reliability-wise though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When I purchased my 840 evo 250gb, I looked at the 850's and the 840 pro's. Decided to save some money on the benchmark performance and to spend money for the capacity. I think that benchmarks are a good tool, but might not capture the day-to-day experience. Either way, moving from a HDD to a SSD should be a good experience!