Which SSD fit the best for m14 r1??

zizzzac

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I've decided that it's time to upgrade my R1 after owning it for a couple of years. Based on your replies Ill probably get a Samsung. I was wondering if I could use my original HD (500gb 7200rpm) as an external drive since I have no working desktop at the moment. Thanks!

Using a samsung 840 here as well and have encountered no problems. As for using your current HDD as an external you will need a sata to ide set. Multiple tutorials on this are available on the web.

Thanks man. Yeah i did some searching while my post wasn't approved yet. I found that HD to USB enclosures usually have that sata to ide thingy. I'll just get one along with the SSD.

Btw if you guys have step by step install instructions for SSD please do post them. ( can't find one).

And please include the windows install part using a CD or USB. My laptop can't detect the optical drive at the moment.

Hope I can upgrade before Christmas. I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm running Samsung EVO 840 500 Gb with no problems for 3 months whatsoever. Boots usually < 10 seconds and haven't had any stability issues, also very fast. Definitely recommend.

Which BIOS are you using? and can you please give benchmarks on random read and write speeds.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I've just installed a 840 Pro in my m14x R1 works great and has no issue's so far, Runs at sata 2 speeds but i'm yet to try the bios fix, hoping i can get it up to full speed with that. I've got my ssd in the primary bay and a hdd in place of the dvd drive was a simple process. alienware laptops are great to work with in my opinion.

i used Samsung 840 Pro too and runs at sata 2 speeds, do you know how to make it run on sata 3? there are BIOS FIX in the forum, but i can't download it. :(

i used Samsung 840 Pro too and runs at sata 2 speeds, do you know how to make it run on sata 3? there are BIOS FIX in the forum, but i can't download it. :(

I used the Bios Fix in the forum, you will need to meet the requirements to download its a bit of a pain

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Bought the 850 Pro 256GB for my M14x R1 and it works like a charm. But haven't bench-marked it to verify the speeds but I have flashed the SATA fix A08 bios and boot up takes less than 20 seconds. Pretty happy with it.

Hey llcooljerry! Since the ssd upgrade, are you experiencing any issues? I'd like to get the same ssd for my m14. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I just installed the SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB in my m14x R1 and wow is it flying.  I did a fresh install of Windows 10 to get the most out of the performance.  Very happy with the drive and can boot up in 20 seconds.  Haven't yet installed the AO8 fix yet to get the SATA III speeds.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm currently using Crucial MX300 525GB on my Alienware M14X R1. Supposed to get a Samsung 850 Evo but it was too expensive in my country. Took less than 20 secs to boot up to Windows and definitely worth upgrading. The only downside is that it is running SATA2 only as BIOS is capping the speed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...