Asus or Clevo?

theshoefairy

Hi all, new here and just looking for a little advice.

I have been looking to buy a laptop for a while now and cannot decide. My boyfriend who is a bit of gamer decided to help me look as he built his own pc and came up with a bit of an extreme model, that being a model the same as a clevo p170em with a 680 graphics card, £1407. I myself am not a gamer but I guess I will sometimes use it to play 2 player games with him. I am however a designer, and use large programs all at the same time like Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver. Originally I was looking for a powerful laptop with a sleek design, not too thick or heavy, but now every laptop I compare to the Clevo doesn't even come close, even though I was looking to spend about half of the money.

What I need advice on is, is it worth it to get the Clevo? Is there an alternative laptop from Asus or Acer that would handle my graphics programs well and also provide decent gaming ability whilst being somewhat portable. I would like to see the P170 to see how thick and bulky it actually is but cannot. I realise other laptops will not run the games on the highest settings, but that shouldn't be a problem as I won't be doing a lot of gaming anyway. Just need something that will run smoothly and look decent.

Many thanks :)

Hi there! A powerfull rig that is somewhat more portable is this one from msi for example MSI GE60 0ND-257US - XOTIC PC - MSI 15.6" Custom Gaming Notebook

or this sager (clevo) which I find has a awesome looking design too Sager NP6370 / Clevo W370ET - XOTIC PC - Sager 17.3" Custom Gaming Laptop

• Founder

I'd pick Clevo over Asus every single time. You can upgrade the Clevo and it has a very friendly design for changing out hardware vs the Asus with its non-standard MXM and other issues. Plus with Clevo you can spec out a very nice high gamut display.

Thanks so much for the advice. It is so hard to decide, especially when you are paying that amount of money.

I guess being able to upgrade parts rather than buying a new laptop every few years is a bonus. What do they clevo chassis actually look like in real life? Are they good quality? I have also read about problems with over-heating. Is this likely to be a problem if I am not gaming as much as a true gamer would be? lol

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, even you can change some parts it won't be really worth it. Assuming that you have to change your CPU (about 450$) and your GPU (at least 350$) each 1-1.5 year at least to keep gaming with good FPS and your motherboard will be limited to certain extent, so better not think to keep upgrading.

Still this is my personal opinions.

• 3 weeks later...

Having just retired my dying Asus G73 for my new Sager 9170....

While i loved the G73 at first, it just developed too many problems, like a case that was separating, a battery that failed, a failing main power connection, and other problems, I just could not go for a new Asus to replace it. Not to mention, from where i was looking, they didn't offer a 680m.

So far, i love the Sager (Clevo), and fully recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder
Sounds like there is a lot of love for the Sasger (Clevo). That may be my next upgrade after my G73jh bites the dust. Are they easier to upgrade than the ASUS lines?

Yes much easier. Also look into Alienware.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 1 month later...

I have a Asus G75VX, and i hate it's sound.. before this i had a simple HP notebook (i think dv7 series), it had very very good sound, but this super gaming asus notebook's sound really s**.. there is not any bass in it, and it sounds like from underwater..

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, new here and just looking for a little advice.

I have been looking to buy a laptop for a while now and cannot decide. My boyfriend who is a bit of gamer decided to help me look as he built his own pc and came up with a bit of an extreme model, that being a model the same as a clevo p170em with a 680 graphics card, £1407. I myself am not a gamer but I guess I will sometimes use it to play 2 player games with him. I am however a designer, and use large programs all at the same time like Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver. Originally I was looking for a powerful laptop with a sleek design, not too thick or heavy, but now every laptop I compare to the Clevo doesn't even come close, even though I was looking to spend about half of the money.

What I need advice on is, is it worth it to get the Clevo? Is there an alternative laptop from Asus or Acer that would handle my graphics programs well and also provide decent gaming ability whilst being somewhat portable. I would like to see the P170 to see how thick and bulky it actually is but cannot. I realise other laptops will not run the games on the highest settings, but that shouldn't be a problem as I won't be doing a lot of gaming anyway. Just need something that will run smoothly and look decent.

Many thanks :)

From personal experience i would suggest asus, I own an asusg75vw and it is a solid machine i have had it for almost a year now with no problems, i have not really found a game that i cannot run on it, the only problem that i did have with the computer is the fan noise, i think my fan is off balance or something and it makes a humming noise at certain angles.

• 3 months later...

I had the same question, ended up with asus g75vx because ordering a clevo was not possible to ship to aruba.

research notebookcheck.net , they say clevo's have better contrast and color reproduction, and better speakers(not that that matters).

My asus g75vx blue color is leaning towards purple, and red towards orange. For gaming this is ok, for editing it can get annoying(unless again,

you use an external screen but i assume the 17 inch laptop is to edit on by itself)

built quality on g series right now is unbeatable though

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

anyone one know if the new rog g750 came with a standard mxm port or it´s Line the old one with asus mxm ?

thanks

CPU is soldered and the videocard is MXM socket but the card is custom size, not square. You can't fit a normal MXM card. You can find dissasembly pictures on the net if you make a search.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I own a Clevo/Sager 915 and I love it. It is one of the best gaming laptops I have ever owned. Before I purchased my Sager 9150 earlier this year, I scouted all the other brands and found nothing equal to the cost and quality with upgrading ability in an (all in one) configuration. I am very pleased with Sager and I will be upgrading with them when this one wears out.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would recommend the Asus. I have had 3 ROG rigs. They have all been solid laptops with great performance for work as a graphic designer as well as game play. I recently bought a Lenovo trying to save a few buck and regret not sticking with asus.

• 2 months later...

I have an Asus G73J and a Clevo P151EM1. I bought the Clevo for replacing the Asus as my business trip gaming gear. I would say either is a solid and you should look into what kind of deal you can get rather than which brand.

Also if you plan to carry it around from time to time, I would suggest you to go to a local shop that has both 17 inch and 15 inch gaming notebooks (if not, have your friends show theirs) since if you plan to do so, 17 and 15 inch does makes a difference. That's why I got the 15inch Clevo to replace the 17 inch Asus. Might try a 15 inch Asus the next time though. =)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd probably get myself a Clevo too if the price difference for the same configuration wouldn't exceed 300 eur. Maybe someone knows some cheap but trusty clevo/sager retailers in europe (found a few german eshops that seems to have the best prices but I can grab an Asus g750JS-T4163D GTX870m dual 750gb hdd swith 8 gb ram for 250-300 EUR less than a clevo + shjpping - i can grab Asus locally with 0 cost for shipping).

• 3 weeks later...