m18xR2 - DVD drive noisy?

Schaf

Hello folks,

I noticed that when I do have CDs in my optical drive, that the sound that comes from is is very noisy and almost sounds like its "jittering" or streaks something. (At 11-12x speed and more)

This is my first "slot-in optical drive" so I have no idea what's normal and what not.

I could upload also a video if that would help.

~greetings

Mine is pretty quiet when I use it so what you have doesn't sound normal. Is your pc brand new? You may need to have Dell replace the drive, unless your tech savvy enough to take your laptop apart and check it more closely. I would only suggest that if you are very comfortable with disassembling your laptop, because just to access the drive you have to pretty much disassemble the whole thing.

Hello,

its just a mess - the technician visited me today (didn't even gave me call to get myself prepared) and then it all started.

Not that it seemed like that the guy is overall incompetent, it also looked like that he doesn't know at all what hes doing.

It took two and a half hour for him, to change the display and the DVD drive. (Something I could do in about 30-40 minutes)d

Alone to disassemble the keyboard took him about 30 minutes, he totally forgot every possible screw and bent the keyboard-fframe so hard that I thought it would break every second.

All in all, I'm pretty sure he didn't really know what to do, also he managed to get my alienware pretty dirty that had to spend like 20 minutes to clean everything. (I'm talking about real dirt sports)

In the end the assembled somehow the keyboard wrong and the media controls so that they didn't work.

Result:

I've got the alienware m18x2 now for 6 days, in those 6 days I had

- 2 technicians

- 3 days to reserve (yeah, because dell managed it to cancel the technician somehow)

- 3 different displays

--- 2 of them where corrupt

- 2 DVD drives

-- The first one was incredible loud, the 2nd one still is - but way less noisy.

- A nice mobile phone bill (They told me its the free hotline, that was a wrong information.. hello 20€ additionally to my monthly costs)

I'm really frustrated and angry, friends of mine also bought a new laptop - they spend 800-1000€ and everything is just fine.

I bought myself a premium Laptop (I thought of that before) and have only problems with the product itself and the horrible incompetent Dell Support :(

P.S I've also asked for a keyboard replacement cause the illumination is not working correctly, they refused and told me everything is fine.

post-8869-14494994150197_thumb.jpg

Hello usmc362,

thanks for your advice, but I believe since I'm living in austria, that this call will give me even more troubles caused by the immense costs of the call.

(Like the one number Dell gave me in promise, that this would be a cost free hotline ... cost free my ass, 20€ additional to my cellphone bill)

Thanks anyway !

Hello everybody

I've got a problem with my optical drive, too. Everytime I boot my M18x R2 and no CD/DVD is inserted, I get a sinister klick klick noise from that drive. Is this normal or not?

Thank you.

I believe this behavior is "normal" when the slot-loading optical drive is being powered up

• 1 month later...

I believe it has something to do with the USB wake option in windows. Doesn't happen to me when on Ubuntu. As for the keyboard issue Schaf has, I bought a m17x Korean Keyboard (it's cheaper than the US version, why I don't know, but look cooler) and it's the same thing save for the f8 key that doesn't have the HDMI-in icon (But will still work when you hit fn+f8).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't notice any improvement with A10 but I just got mine back from the depot and it has other issues, also caused by an onsite tech that didn't know what he was doing and the depot repair didn't get it straightened out either.

• 1 month later...