Glossy or matte(anti-glare)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely matte I have had both and I can assure you that mate is the way to go for laptop.

I read that it reduces eye strains because is shows less reflections and it's better for your sitting posture because you wouldn't sit in a weird position in order too reduce the glare.

Matte is always better.... But I guess it's always a preference issue. I personally can't stand glares. Just had an opposite experience to yours. Had to return something in exchange for matte.

Glossy definitely looks much nicer hardware wise but matte is so much better from a practical stand point. I use a glossy laptop screen at work and I see the ceiling light on my screen all the time and it gets quite annoying. Also finger prints gets on it pretty easily on a glossy screen.

I'm using a matte 120hz screen in my clevoP370em and I can really recommend it! Glossy screen are in my opinion not great if your a frequent LAN guy due to reflections can cost you games=)

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop as a Matte display, i used to have glossy before. I must say, i love matte way more ; It's not a finger magnet, it doesn't reflect everything (Especially if the screen goes black, like in a movie or while gaming) and it's easier to play in high light situations. But to each is own.

Glossy for me! I just bought the new Alienware 17 and upgraded to a 120hz screen, not for 3d but for the Truelife glossy screen display. My alienware m17x R4 has a glossy screen and though it did reflect some light it wasn't that big of a deal, well worth the trade for better color output and crisper images.

• 4 weeks later...

After being used to Glossy for years and hearing all the naysayers saying matte screens had lower quality color and other problems I was hesitant to try out a matte screen for the first time. Finally have one on my new laptop and I have to say I LOVE it. Not having to deal with glare is wonderful on the eyes and I haven't noticed any color quality drop off. Maybe visual artists with better trained eyes would though.

I'm happy with my glossy screen, but I only picked this because I'll be using this laptop for indoor use only (gaming ftw :P). It's a desktop replacement laptop and not really meant for outside/everywhere use. I personally think think the blu-rays I play with it look better on the glossy screen than on the matte (used both on 1920*1080 full hd resolution, but the glossy had 90% GAMUT, don't know if this has anything to do with it though). So I agree, it depends on your usage really.

In my opinion, glossy only looks better than matte in a nearly pitch black room, otherwise the reflections are distracting to me. I would never want glossy, since I'm almost never in that situation.

I have a laptop at home with glossy (y500 lenovo), color saturation is great, sharpness as well. However, in the work where there is plenty of light (big glass), is annoying.

I prefer anti-glare screen because no reflect and appropriate to my usage, such as go to work outdoor and have more view angle than glossy screen.

My previous laptop has glare screen. It make me really scare when it mirrored something or someone pass behind me.

I have a G75VW(matte) & and a UX32VD(glossy) and I only see the big difference in light backgrounds (this forums background e.g) where it looks like small dots all over the screen. Other from that the glossy seems to have a bit better colors.

Well I think all screens should be matte. Because you do a lot of work on a screen that is in front of your face all the time. It lessens eyestrain and fingerprints. Nowadays matte screens are really advanced and it doesn't lower the screen quality anymore. It does cost more to have a matte screen. Samsung and others have excellent matte screen that doesn't wear out because its etched into the screen itself, its not a coating. It really does makes a big difference.

In the end you get what you pay for. It all goes down to personal preference on laptop feature trade offs.

My laptop screen just got replaces from a glossy to an anti-glare and i have to say I regret not switching sooner.

Not only is the color depth of my anti glare screen better but a also can see everything on my screen when the sun on it.

I dont think ill ever want a glossy screen ever again.