Flashing Eurocom AMD 7970 card to Dell Alienware 7970, is this done and is it easy?

unphoto

Hello,

Since i am new to this forum and not pretty sure how to get my question answered the fastest way, i decided to make a double post so sorry if i offended anyone...

I am pressed for time because i am able to make use of a small window of oppertunity to purchase a Clevo AMD for €200,- but i own a Alienware M17x R2 and i want to use this card for my laptop!!

An acquaintance of mine bought a AMD 7970m from Eurocom to use in a Clevo P170EM but it does not seem to work.

He has a BTO P170EM and i guess that the difference in bios would be the bad guy here.

He offered the card to me for €200,00 if i wanted it, but i have a Alienware M17x R2 and it would NOT be plug and play.

So my question is:

Is it even possible to flash to Clevo 7970 to an Alienware 7970..?

I have read some forums where it as where others say that it cannot...crushed.png

I hope someone here can tell me if it can or cannot be done.

I found also several threads here that state, that it CAN be done.....i just need to find the right vBIOS for my Alienware M17x R2....make a bootable usb stick....use the forced command line fucntion and it should be done??......

Please help

It will work fine in your system. There's no need for a Dell vbios.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Are you sure? Isnt there a huge drama about the differences between clevo and dell?

isnt that why some resellers don't supply/sell Clevo cards to Dell users and vice versa?

If that is the case then the "brand" would not matter when advertising the card...

i really want to be sure about this..

There's no such "drama". Check the M17x R2 forum, @StamatisX has Clevo 7970m crossfire working great in his system.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Ok thanks (then now i understand why he thought up de 2x 240W concept :P)

I'd like to thank you Brian for your answers.

May i ask what the Dell bios does or what it used for?

Just for bios overclocking?...i heard something about no hdmi or fan support.

Either way i will let you guys know what happens :)

• Founder

I'm not 100% sure if HDMI out works but I think the fans are okay, I don't recall @StamatisX ever mentioning needing HWiNFO to regulate his fans. The Dell vbios for NVIDIA cards is for overclocking purposes. For the 7970M, you can use vbios patcher to overclock.

Thanks for your answers Brian.

I will get the card on wensday, and take my laptop with me to test the card.

Is there anything in particular i should be doing?

I'll deinstall Sapphire Trixx and it's profile and i'll reset all settings in CCC (maybe even the 4870x2 via the device manager) before installing the card

I now have the 4870mx2 with the 12.6 CCC drivers, so it should be plug and play? ( sounds to good to be true :) )

Are these steps neccesery?

• Founder

You MIGHT need to custom mod the inf file for the driver but I'm not 100% sure about that. I think it applies more to NVIDIA cards than AMD so more than likely they will be plug and play. If you want to uninstall the existing Catalyst + overclocking software before testing that can't hurt since it will eliminate any unforeseen variables. Just be sure to download the latest Catalyst drivers and then plug it in and install the driver and you should be good.

Well, having the 4870m i am used to modding the installer files :)

i would have to find the vendor code but i would find that odd sinds the 7970m is already supported by the catalyst.

Uninstalling would not hurt indeed so i'll do that.

if it does boot but can't install i'll ask StamatisX for help (y).

Well people it's 23:35 in my timeline so i beter get drunk and try to not blow myself up!

best wishes for and i will report back my findings after wensday.

Well as it turns out, it was a hoax....the card was scratched and crap and yet he ensisted that i by his card.

So i told him to back off....he didn't listen so i snapped his card 2 times.

He was so shocked so i left him with his rubbish :53_002: