Replacing Thermal Compound

aximili345

I have an ASUS G50VT-X1 model (getting a little old, I know) and i was wondering exactly how and where to put a new thermal compound, and how to remove the older thermal compound. specifically I'm looking to put it on the heatsink for the graphics card unit but if i have enough I suppose i might as well replace it on the CPU as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Do as above said. It's really easy. Just follow the guide to take apart your laptop and get to the coolers. Wipe off what's on there and put on Artic Silver or something like it. Not worth the hassle imo unless you are overclocking or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go buy some rubbing alcohol from your local store, I recommend at least 97% or the 99 percent rubbing alcohol because it'll take the old thermal paste off much faster and it'll evaporate quicker. I usually get some paper towels, wet them with rubbing alcohol and wipe the old thermal paste off, for small areas and difficult wipe off area, I usually use a Q-tip, Soak it in rubbing alcohol and wipe the old thermal paste off. Let it dry(Takes a few seconds) then re-apply thermal paste as needed (usually a tiny pea size dot in the middle of the GPU/CPU is fine and good enough.

• 3 weeks later...

For someone relatively uncomfortable with disassembling their laptop, do you think this would best (quicker, and less of a hassle) to have it sent out to have it done? My G75VW is heating up rather quickly now and I'm assuming it's due to the thermal paste dissolving.

it could also be from having the heat-sink full of random hairs and dirt. Happened to me and a lot of my friends.

--

I personally use coffee filters to wipe off the thermal paste. Q-tips and paper towels can leave behind small fibers which would reduce the effectiveness of the paste.

• 1 month later...

if you wanna do that , gotta be carrifuly, use alcohol(i used zippo oil lol). i suggest that use cooler master thermal paste. replace all bandage paste to cooler master's one, its gonna cool down about 30C.

• 2 months later...

You can buy a kit of thermal paste remover and surface purifier on newegg for around 4 dollars. Just buy it along with the thermal paste you want. I recommend IC Diamond 7 or Arctic MX-4. The MX-4 is significantly easier to apply but the IC-7 will probably cool a degree or two better.

• 1 month later...