Broke gpu heatsink screw inside thread!!!! Help??

I have a major problem.. :(

when i reapplied thermal paste to my gpu today on the np9370 the 3rd heatsink screw broke off inside the thread!

I'm currently running my system on 3 gpu heatsink screws, and thank god my temperatures are still extremely good under load (better than before).

Any thoughts and suggestion on this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know about those posts the screws actually screw into? Are they apart of the graphics card? Can they be changed?

• Founder
I have a major problem.. :(

when i reapplied thermal paste to my gpu today on the np9370 the 3rd heatsink screw broke off inside the thread!

I'm currently running my system on 3 gpu heatsink screws, and thank god my temperatures are still extremely good under load (better than before).

Any thoughts and suggestion on this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know about those posts the screws actually screw into? Are they apart of the graphics card? Can they be changed?

The back plate can be removed and you can purchase a new one from RJTech or other dealers online like eurocom.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Since your heatsink has four screw locations as long as you don't loose another on the same side you should be fine. The opposite corners (Upper Left to Lower Right) should give you enough tension to keep things cooled properly. I would still replace it if given the chance. You could also try and use a fine screw extractor. They do sell some kits for working with watches and that should help you get the broken piece out without having to replace the backplate.

• 3 weeks later...

^ Usually when you do something like that the two opposing screws/threads will lock each other though. Maybe if you're lucky and their contact surfaces catch while rotating, yes, the opposing screw will turn out the broken one. :)

Edit: Ooh, if you can find a small enough drill bit though, and are careful enough, you can easily drill+turn out the broken piece from the back side, similar to Killerinstinct's suggestion above, but use a drill bit and precision.