Can someone run 'powercfg /energy' to see if ur USB is not selective suspending?

Tech Inferno Fan

Wondering if someone with a bootcamped Win7 MBP can run 'powercfg /energy' at the command prompt? I found mine with Win8 has a number of USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend items which may explain why I can't get a 13" MBP with iGPU to idle at 5-6W after my usual battery extending settings.

This should be entirely possible. The MBP hardware isn't that different to a HP 2560P or Dell E6230 of which I got both to idle at 5W. Instead the best I get with the MBP is 8.5W as measured by BatteryBar. That 3.5W explains why I'm getting about 30% less battery life than expected.

The problem lines I'm getting in the resultant energy-report.html from this command are in the spoiler:

This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name Generic USB Hub
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_0A5C&PID_4500
Port Path 1,8,1

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_0024
Port Path 1

Device Name Apple IR Receiver
Device ID USB\VID_05AC&PID_8242
Port Path 1,8,2

Device Name USB Composite Device
Device ID USB\VID_05AC&PID_0252
Port Path 1,8,3

Device Name USB Root Hub
Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1E26
Port Path

Device ID USB\VID_0424&PID_2513
Port Path 1,8

Device Name USB Input Device
Device ID USB\VID_05AC&PID_820B
Port Path 1,8,1,2

Device Name USB Input Device
Device ID USB\VID_05AC&PID_820A
Port Path 1,8,1,1

Device Name Apple Broadcom Built-in Bluetooth
Device ID USB\VID_05AC&PID_821D
Port Path 1,8,1,3

So the test with Win7 will confirm if it's a Win8 issue, since there is no bootcamp set of drivers for it as yet, or a Apple bios-emulation issue.

EDIT: looks like someone else is getting the same problem with a MBA + Win7/64: Bootcamp Windows battery life - USB power problem? | discussions.apple.com

Yeah, it should definitely be possible, but it all comes down to Apple's BIOS emulation and drivers.

While I don't have Windows 7 boot camped at the moment, I remember when I did look into the power consumption about a year ago that I was able to idle around 7 W after optimizations. This was with a 2010 MacBook Pro 13'' though. It has the Nvidia 320M and a Core 2 Duo. Under OS X I believe I was closer to 5 W though. So there's definitely something non-optimal with Apple's drivers or BIOS emulation. I remember the Nvidia driver giving too many wake up interruptions, being one problem. Apple's keyboard driver was also one culprit, guilty of the same crime. But they surprisingly fixed it.

In the end, it would be nice to go fully EFI on a Windows install, and have everything working. No more relying on old shoddy BIOS emulation.

Yeah, it should definitely be possible, but it all comes down to Apple's BIOS emulation and drivers.

While I don't have Windows 7 boot camped at the moment, I remember when I did look into the power consumption about a year ago that I was able to idle around 7 W after optimizations. This was with a 2010 MacBook Pro 13'' though. It has the Nvidia 320M and a Core 2 Duo. Under OS X I believe I was closer to 5 W though. So there's definitely something non-optimal with Apple's drivers or BIOS emulation. I remember the Nvidia driver giving too many wake up interruptions, being one problem. Apple's keyboard driver was also one culprit, guilty of the same crime. But they surprisingly fixed it.

In the end, it would be nice to go fully EFI on a Windows install, and have everything working. No more relying on old shoddy BIOS emulation.

Yes, a straight EFI install was next on the agenda to see if can get idle power down. Though I'm not optimistic about it solving anything. Reason is the Mac has powered USB ports, so it can charge devices even when turned off. On a PC notebook that had a bios setting to enable/disable that option, enabling it gave the same "USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend" powercfg error. So my tentative reason for this is due to Apple's powered USB ports.

• 1 month later...

Even after enabling ASPMs as described here the best I could get a 2012 MBP Pro to idle at was 7.2-7.6W. Meaning, this USB suspend issue is causing 1.5-2W more instantaneous power consumption than a similarly equipped 12.5" HP 2570P or Dell E6230. They can both idle at 5.6-5.8W.

The root cause of the problem?

The root cause appears to be due to the keyboard and mouse being attached to a USB hub as shown below. A HP 2570P or Dell E6230 do not use a USB hub for these. They have the keyboard using a keyboard port and mouse using PS2 port.

<A HREF="http://i.imgur.com/DQTNUUA.jpg">DQTNUUA.jpg</A>

Apple must have optimized their drivers to lower USB power consumption under MacOS but haven't done the same for Windows. Unfortunately then a Macbook Pro is a poor choice if wanting maximum battery life. I dare say the same issue applies to the Macbook Air.

• 1 month later...
Even after enabling ASPMs as described here the best I could get a 2012 MBP Pro to idle at was 7.2-7.6W. Meaning, this USB suspend issue is causing 1.5-2W more instantaneous power consumption than a similarly equipped 12.5" HP 2570P or Dell E6230. They can both idle at 5.6-5.8W.

The root cause of the problem?

The root cause appears to be due to the keyboard and mouse being attached to a USB hub as shown below. A HP 2570P or Dell E6230 do not use a USB hub for these. They have the keyboard using a keyboard port and mouse using PS2 port.

Apple must have optimized their drivers to lower USB power consumption under MacOS but haven't done the same for Windows. Unfortunately then a Macbook Pro is a poor choice if wanting maximum battery life. I dare say the same issue applies to the Macbook Air.

Good find. I might do another try of installing Windows again now when they have a new Boot Camp out (I guess they didn't care to optimize the drivers though, but hell might freeze over once per millennium).