Is my Asus G73JW-A1 dying?!

Raonny Ruivo

Hello there!

I have this notebook since 2/11.

Since July of this year, the screen started to go black during normal use, and a message appears telling that the an error occurred to the nvidia driver. I've tried a lot of different drivers, but the error persists.

In a long playing session, when I quit the game, sometimes the screen show some artifacts, as you can see in the attached pictures.

Did anyone had this problem before?! Is my Asus dying!?

I'm willing to give a try on the 660M mode, but I want to make sure that this is only a vga problem that I have, not a general failure!

Thanks a lot!

post-8277-14494994079972_thumb.jpg

post-8277-14494994079296_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like your drivers are crashing, this normally happens due to too high clocks. But if it's not OCed try uninstalling the drivers and erase all Nvidia folders on your hdd and reinstall.

Seems like your drivers are crashing, this normally happens due to too high clocks. But if it's not OCed try uninstalling the drivers and erase all Nvidia folders on your hdd and reinstall.

As I've told, I've already tried a lot of different drivers, clean installs, formatting, but that's don`t seems to be a driver problem!

Well if it's anything like my G50VT-X1, my screen started doing that kind of thing and just about last week my whole video card died... Not trying to scare you but have you gotten any blue screens?

Some times BSOD appears...

Also I've had this (quite similar) problem on Dell XPS M1330. It was a sign of faulty GPU (the infamous crappy-soldered nVidia GT 8600), so I had to get it back to the depot for mobo replacement. If you have any warranty this would be the time to use it. I'm not sure how Asus notebooks work, but on Alienware systems Dell has included a very nice diagnostic tool (this has to be one of my favorite features) that you can access during boot where you can test literally all the hardware (it even detects e.g. if the crossfire cable is bad). Perhaps Asus has something similar?

I doubt the LCD is bad, but that can be easily tested by just hooking up the laptop to an external screen.

Other than that, you could I guess buy a new GPU but then the problem is that there is still a small possibility that something on the mobo died.