R1 replacing motherboard with R2

P-Chan

I've got an M14x R1 and am considering getting an R2 motherboard if the BIOS A08 unlocked with SATA fix doesn't resolve my issues. Has anyone done this? Any issues with this?

(I haven't had a chance to test the new BIOS as I'm still working towards my 5 posts to be able to, but that might resolve my issue?)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, it works perfectly with the M18x R1. I could not be happier. If fact, I ordered a new OEM 3920XM CPU to make the transformation complete. (Although, the 2920XM works flawlessly in the Ivy Bridge board.)

If you plan to do it, you will need to purchase the following components:

• 9D7N3 - M18x R2 Motherboard
  • YYFHR - M18x R2 I/O Daughterboard with ribbon cable
  • XVNKP - M18x R2 3-Disk HDD Caddy
  • M9T51 - M18x R2 SATA Interposer

Edit: my bad... I just noticed that you have an M14x. I haven't tried that, so I cannot say what parts you will need.

I opened my m14x R2 with a guide for the R1 and everything looked identical. I certainly believe the board would physically fit and the cables seem to be in the same places.

same thought! but somehow i can't get any R2 board to swap with my R1 board... wondering if anyone doing this already

• 4 weeks later...

The M14XR2 system boards are kind of scares but they do pop up on eBay every now and then I have purchased two of them one from the UK and one from the United States on eBay, you just have to keep checking and as far as the M14XR1 and the R2 the chessies are identical and it will definitely fit even the small DMC bored from the R1 will fit on the M14XR2 motherboard which will enable the msata slot, the only difference is you will have to purchase a heatsink for the M14XR2 board because the GPU is in a different position on the R2 motherboards.

The M14XR2 system boards are kind of scares but they do pop up on eBay every now and then I have purchased two of them one from the UK and one from the United States on eBay, you just have to keep checking and as far as the M14XR1 and the R2 the chessies are identical and it will definitely fit even the small DMC bored from the R1 will fit on the M14XR2 motherboard which will enable the msata slot, the only difference is you will have to purchase a heatsink for the M14XR2 board because the GPU is in a different position on the R2 motherboards.

how much did you paid ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Its working flawlessly for me. Did d swap awhile back...I think febuary and its still cool. You have to change to r2 heatsink too. Bought mine off of ebay for 600 dollars then. But u will have to reinstall windows afresh because of driver issues. My old 2xxxqm cpu worked well with the new board. Just played ghost recon future soldier on highest settings at 30fps with the new board and its gt650m card. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

The depends on how cheap you can get a used M18xR2 and what kind of shape it is in. The upgrade parts were around $500 not counting the CPU, which came later. I used my 2920XM CPU to begin with and it works beautifully in the R2 motherboard.