5870M Powerplay problem?

Huuy

Does anyone know why my 5870M goes from 100/150 to 500/1000 when I'm not doing anything? I finished playing a game and it took about 20 minutes to drop the clock speeds to 100/150 then an hour later it goes back up to 500/1000. The weird thing is the fan doesn't even kick on and it just sits at 60C-65C. This only happens on the GPU0 card.

If the issue isn't more toward the direction svl7 is going another possibility is I have seen clocks hit those speeds for multimedia power-play mode like for watching movies... and with stuff like windows aero and certain types of theme software and skins, desktop gadgets or anything that uses basic gpu functions can kick those clocks up to there from your power-saving mentioned 100/150. I notice it right on the desktop with gpu-z sensors tab... but T|I hosts HWinfo which also can show you real-time gpu clocks and also has graphs and much more. So in other words I don't see any issue with what you said is happening... the high temps could be from that power-play not kicking down into power saving clocks which you mentioned is an issue. Try disabling some gpu using apps or gadgets, minimize more stuff maybe turn aero off and use basic theme while monitoring the clocks... maybe that will allow the card to use power-saving clocks. If it can't go to the 100/150 clocks easily when idle on desktop then that would cause your 60+ temps... but you know that already so hopefully svl7's questions lead you in the right direction or my post either way.09.gif

Edited by mw86