Rhoryn

IHISI Flash write error in SMI? Bios update

4 posts in this topic

When i click the BIOS version i want to download it opens insydeflash normally but then it comes up with an error.

IHISI: Flash write error in SMI!

SMI Return Code: 0x25

i downgraded to a08 for no reason, just a test, now when i click on any bios version it comes up with the error..

i downgraded my bios perfectly earlier and it worked so i dont understand why this wont.. all i want to do is unlock my bios and disable damn hyperthreading so i can play a game.

Any ideas ? :( i am pretty computer savvy but try and explain it simply!

Hey, this might not be the best answer but I've just had this problem as well and after a bit of googling I found this on wikipedia, related to SMM, therefore to SMI.

"By design, the operating system cannot override or disable the SMI. Due to this fact, it is a target for malicious rootkits to reside in."

Therefore thats the reason why this error occurs when trying to update bios, I think.

Anyway, after getting the error, my pc restarted and there were no problems at all, seemingly everything went actually right.

Full link to wiki for more info: System Management Mode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry for such a late answer, good luck and have a nice day!

I got the same error for flashing modded bios, but it worked fine on official bios.

im trying to do the same, but maybe because im trying to go from a14 to a03 it gives me the same error even though i got the bios from dell 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• [solved] Y580 modified bios setting change resulted in black screen of death
      By wissper
      PROBLEM: Black screen of death on a Lenovo y580 (or probably most of the ideapad Y series since they all use similar bios software) after changing the setting for which video source gets priority (default is "SG").

SOLUTION: Rather than using the vast array of options that rarely work for anyone like heating up your video card by blocking the fan on a pillow for 20 minutes at a time until it "decides" to start working again - after much research I found the solution for setting the modified slv7 lenovo y580 bios back to its defaults in the event that you inadvertently disable your video.

First, press power and immediately hold F2 until your laptop starts beeping, then release. If there is no sound hold it about 45 seconds.
      Second, press the following button sequence for 100 extra lives:

left arrow (1x)
      down arrow (4x)
      enter (4x)

At that point the system should automatically shut down and restart.  If it does not, the settings may not have been changed correctly but go ahead and manually restart to find out.  If you come back to a black screen again try the process over until you're certain that the cause is something other than your bios settings.

This will save you hours upon hours researching CMOS bypass surgeries, blind usb jump drive bios flash procedures, and all those tedious and time consuming processes.  I even started questioning whether my keyboard on my laptop worked at one point it got so screwy.  

I will add this, if you can use an external monitor and get a signal, do that.  Use Fn+F4 to switch to an external signal and that will make your life much easier.  Barring that, the above is the easiest solution I was able to track down.

Best..

wissper

[original issue]

This has come up fairly often, and I've read every post I can find trying to fix it but with no positive results so far.

I've got a lenovo y580, running a modified svl7 bios.  I accidentally changed the video setting that was set to "SG" to some other setting, unsure what.  Now I can't get a response from the laptop other than from the power button which simply lights up, but no other indications of life show any more.  Early on there was a point at which I pressed some button combo and heard loud beeps, but that has not recurred.  I've tried the typical blind default reset method (left, 4x down, 4x enter) which didn't help. I cannot access the computer remotely when it's been powered on which makes me believe that it is not moving past the bios to windows. (no ping response or net view access) I have been unsuccessful in getting an external display to work on the HDMI or VGA ports (though I am going to try VGA again to be sure). 

Most of the advice I've found says to unplug everything from the system (wifi adapter, HDD, SSD, Optical,etc.), insert a usb stick with various ROM/BIN files conforming to a particular name variant depending on your model, and to hold Fn+B continuously just after inserting power cord w/o battery installed and hit the power button.  The 1 time I've tried this, I had copies of the bios w/ extentions .bi .bin .rom .fd with prefixes QIWY3207 or just QIWY3 (which was the suggestion from Andy's phoenix tool that was part of the instructions). 

If anyone sees a mistake I've made along the way, another method to try, or just knows the key pattern to reset the modified svl7 y580 bios to default I would really appreciate the help.  I'm looking forward to buying another laptop about as much as choking down a bag of cement. 

Thanks!

Wissper
    • M17X R4 w/ 980m issue after reverting to 7. Please Help
      By Khelekwen
      Not sure where to post this so I just added it to general.

I just upgraded my M17X R4 120Hz from 675m to a 980m and I'm having a problem I hope someone here can help me with.

To start: It was installed correctly and successfully on Windows 10 (I wanted to start somewhere more certain). Everything worked fine and everything read fine (as far as the graphics card goes). After I was sure everything was working properly, I reverted to Windows 7. As I read, with the current unlocked BIOS A11 (posted on this site) it's capable of running 9xxM series in windows 7.  When I installed 7 on this laptop soon after buying it (reformatted old HDD, moved to bay 1, inserted 500GB SSD in bay 0 and installed 7 OS on it) I installed selecting the UEFI option and the drive is in GPT. As mentioned, I have Unlocked A11 BIOS (thank you to the maker on this site!). 

Anyway, once I reverted to 7 it started to boot up and said it needed to run startup repair. I allowed it and it froze once the bar filled at the bottom. Upon restarting I tried once more.. same thing. I tried to "start normally" and it starts boot looping.
      I then changed "Load Legacy Option Rom" from disable to enable. This causes the 8 beep post issue immediately upon power on. This problem doesn't exist when this option is disabled. I then utilized the HDMI trick (I made a separate post for this the other day. Connect HDMI out to any screen and it will cause post on the laptop screen [but not on the external device]. Can then immediately disconnect once post has occured and works fine with no error or beeps). This let it boot up and I'm able to get to the desktop and everything works fine. Can even run screen at 120Hz. I ran diagnostics on the card, checked drivers.. everything is reading correctly. This is workable, but far from an ideal solution as I need to have a cable and some kind of HDMI screen available just to boot up every time.

I have two option here and I'm hoping someone can provide a little guidance one way or the other. I can either fix the boot looping issue on "Legacy Rom - disabled" (it hangs on classpnp.sys when I try safe mode if that information helps at all). OR, I need to find a way for it to post when "Legacy Rom - enable" without connecting to an HDMI device (just plugging in the cable doesn't work. It has to be connected to something on the other end).
      For the first, I have tried start up repair and tried repairing using my WIN 7 disc but it doesn't actually pull up the menu. It just shows the windows loading screen and then freezes after a while.
      For the second I have tried changing different video options in hopes it will post on boot without connecting to an external or tried to find a way to keep the HDMI port active without something being in it. I can make no progress with either of these as I'm unaware exactly what exaclty the selections change. I currently have it set to PEG.

Also, I have tried bios reset through removing all power sources and the 2032 CMOS and holding power button 30 seconds. Didn't help.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions you have that could assist in ascertaining the source of the problem in either instance.

As a last resort, I could go back to 10, but I would really rather not. The R4 (in Dell's words) isn't being tested for compatibility. Many features don't seem to work, and overall I just much prefer 7.
    • Eurocom Prema (v)BIOS
      By Kango
      I purchased my notebook direct from Eurocom. Do I need to contact them for the modded Bios/vbios?
    • A11 Unlocked Bios M18xR2 (by swick1981 & svl7)
      By Swick1981
      Bios Release Version – v2.0.0

Updated or Modded Items:
      A11 UNLOCKED BIOS FOR m18Xr2 (UNLOCKED BY SVL7 AND FULL CREDIT GOES TO HIM FOR UNLOCKING!)
      SVL7 Also created the PRR2.EXE tool that allows you to flash the new bios by unlocking it.  (FULL CREDIT GOES TO HIM FOR THAT FILE PRR2.EXE)

Here are ALL the things I've added, modded, and enhanced on this bios -
      I've added FULL LEGACY SUPPORT ON THIS BIOS with ONE or TWO CARDS (SLI).  You can FINALLY use Win 7 OS on your machine and run the 900 series GPU's! 
      This is a MAJOR breakthrough!

LEGACY SUPPORT Confirmed.  Works with 900 series GPu's in single OR SLI formation Updated the Intel RST Legacy to v12.9.0.2006 (Supports TRIM in RAID0 - CONFIRMED) Updated Intel RST UEFI to v12.9.0.2006 (Supports TRIM in RAID0 - CONFIRMED) Updated the ONBOARD Video Card for the HD3xxx to v2171 - FROM v2132 Updated ONBOARD Video Card for the HD4xxx to v2171 - FROM v2132 Updated the LAN Firmware & PXE Boot from 2.0.5.9 to v2.0.6.6 ADDED NvMe Support for m18xr2 ADDED M.2 support for m18xr2 Updated CPU Microcode to v29 for the 2900 CPU's Updated CPU Microcode to v1c for the 3900 CPU's Updated GOP Driver for Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Updated GOP Driver for Intel Ivy Bridge CPU Updated MAIN GOP Policy module for the m18xR2 Eliminated some code that wasn't used in the m18xR2 Updated CSM Module (v2) Streamline some coding to make mod(s) run a little more efficiently (v2) Added FPARTS.TXT to rar file in v2. (I had forgot to add it in v1) v2.5 to be released shortly.  I've updated a few more modules that I didn't realize could be updated.  (It's only 3 modules, but it's still an update!)   It should be released in about a week.  Hope this helps ya'll!  
      Instructions to flash:
      Use a flash drive to create a boot disk into dos Unzip ALL files into the root of the flash drive (flash.bat, r2final.bin, fpt.exe, flash.bat, prr2.exe, fparts.txt,m18r2.hdr, m18r2.hdr.bin, readmefirst.txt) BOOT INTO DOS – Note, that when you set the bios to legacy in order to boot into dos, you MAY have to reinstall OS!  (Just be prepared to reinstall no matter what) Once you boot into dos, run the file flash.bat It will unlock your bios (THANKS TO SVL7’s BIOS UNLOCKING TOOL – ALL CREDIT TO HIM FOR THIS TOOL!) Let it flash… Reboot your pc, and enjoy the MASSIVE updates!  
      Be on the lookout as I do plan to release newer version with more updates in the future.  However, it wont be for at least a few weeks as I'm now working on legacy support for the m17xR4 and several other systems.  So please be patient!

ENJOY!

Thread link for more information and discussion:

• [M17xR3] Accidentally activated the internal grafics in an unlocked A12 Bios
      By Loundlim
      Hi there,
      a few days ago I accidentally activated the internal grafics of my M17xR3 via the Unlocked A12 BIOS fromthis site in order to fix a problem with my grafics card. The problem is though that that option isn´t available in a factory version of the Bios because the internal grafics don´t work together with the 120Hz screen. Because of that change the Laptop is unable to boot so I can´t even access the BIOS anymore. I already tried to change using Fn+F7 and an external scrren but that didn´t help. I also reseted the Bios, but didn´t work since the internl grafics are enabled by default. I don´t get any beeps.

I thought of a few solutions to this problem:

- I  could buy a screen that is supported by the internal grafics.  The problem is that I don´t know what the internal grafics support and if the screen´s plug would fit. Does anybody know something about the R3´s internal grafics?

- I could blind flash the BIOS to another version. Now I´m not sure if that will work, because I don´t really know what an unlocked BIOS is. Is it a Bios with added features to give the user more possabilities or is it a version that makes options visible wich also existed in the factory version of the BIOS but were invisible because of technical limitations? I currently have an unlocked A12 for the Ailienware M17xR3 installed but in that Bios version the internal grafics are activated by default. However this is not the case in the factory version of the A12 BIOS. Do you guys think If it would fix the problem? I currently have Windows 8.1 installed but the system came with Windows 7.
      I plan to follow this guide for blind flashing: Link

-I could blind flash the BIOS with the same unlocked BIOS that I have already installed. I know that wouldn´t change anything, but maybe I could manipulate the default settings so it would work again.

Maybe someone has an Idea or two to help me out I would be very happy to be able to work with the machine again! (I mostly need it for Video editing)

Loundlim
      -

-