[G75VW] - modified BIOS & VBIOS for higher overclocking

svl7

I'm gonna try this when I get home right away. If I can get higher benchmarks(max right now is 14144 in Vantage) in Mark3D Vantage/11 I'll be a happy person. Vantage Benchmark: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G75VW score: P14144 3DMarks

Siuccessfully flashed!!! Thank you!!!

Transaction ID # 0KP569349J486932U

- - - Updated - - -

The vbios doesn't allow a higher voltage, all I can do is change the default clocks. What's a stable overclock for the 670m?

700/1650 is what a lot of users are using, but some go higher... since all GPUS differ somewhat, you may want to have a look at this thread:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19580-Overclocking-670m&highlight=overclock+670m

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a version which includes changes for the 670m as well. Clocks at 715/1650. BIOS is the same.

I also included some changes for the 660m, with this version it shouldn't boost anymore, which makes it easier to control the overclocks as it doesn't just jump up to possibly unstable clocks.

For all who are going to flash it - please let me know how it performs and whether the clocks are all properly set.

- file removed - (See first post for current version)

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's a version which includes changes for the 670m as well. Clocks at 715/1650. BIOS is the same.

I also included some changes for the 660m, with this version it shouldn't boost anymore, which makes it easier to control the overclocks as it doesn't just jump up to possibly unstable clocks.

For all who are going to flash it - please let me know how it performs and whether the clocks are all properly set.

You ARE a beast my friend....

Hi, I have never flashed a custom BIOS before. I have the G75VW which comes with the GTX 670M as you can see from my sig below

Anything specific I should do after flashing the BIOS ? like to what clocks shall I overclock to safely and how?

Please advice

thanks

Wow! Great work! Is there any chance that you can apply the same tweaks to the Asus G55VW BIOS (with 660m)?
Would a modified BIOS for the G55VW be possible? I have it and I'm really interested by all the options you unlocked!

GPU-Z screenshot & BIOS download link?

Will see what I can do when I have time.

Hi, I have never flashed a custom BIOS before. I have the G75VW which comes with the GTX 670M as you can see from my sig below

Anything specific I should do after flashing the BIOS ? like to what clocks shall I overclock to safely and how?

Please advice

thanks

After flashing go to the bios and load & apply the default settings. Overclock whatever you want, voltage is stock and pretty low actually, just don't use Furmark or Kombustor or similar crap.

- - - Updated - - -

CPU OC support included?

Nope, but there are some options unlocked in the bios which will allow to adjust the turbo time and power limits which can definitely give a performance boost.

Unfortunately keyboard lights do not work anymore... I try what I can to fix it, otherwise I can deal with it... awesome work....

Same exact problem here. Every other hot key works with the Fn + keys, just not the keyboard lights. Searched in bios for a setting maybe, but I found nothing.

GPU-Z screenshot & BIOS download link?

Will see what I can do when I have time.

After flashing go to the bios and load & apply the default settings. Overclock whatever you want, voltage is stock and pretty low actually, just don't use Furmark or Kombustor or similar crap.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, but there are some options unlocked in the bios which will allow to adjust the turbo time and power limits which can definitely give a performance boost.

Hi! I uploaded the BIOS's in my post. 214 is the newest BIOS and 206 is the one I'm currently on. Some people were reporting issues with BIOS 214 and its Sleep function so I never bothered to upgrade, but I don't know if 214 is good or not firsthand. Would it be possible to apply the tweaks to both BIOS's (if it doesn't take up too much time). Much appreciated!

post-6825-14494994033517_thumb.png

G55VWAS206.zip

G55VWAS214.zip

No idea regarding the backlight... if it works on stock v221 it should also work in the mod.

What I seen was with stock 221 bios during a startup, keyboard would flash on lights for a sec, then it would proceed to boot. The lights worked in windows... etc

Modded bios during startup, no lights at all during boot. Lights not working at all in windows.

I have done some reading and several members have reported it as a setting in the bios that was either corrupted or disabled, as the keyboard lights failed to initialize during POST.

What I seen was with stock 221 bios during a startup, keyboard would flash on lights for a sec, then it would proceed to boot. The lights worked in windows... etc

Modded bios during startup, no lights at all during boot. Lights not working at all in windows.

I have done some reading and several members have reported it as a setting in the bios that was either corrupted or disabled, as the keyboard lights failed to initialize during POST.

Hmm, interesting. I have no idea what could cause this. Did you already load the bios defaults?

I've tried to flash an asus bios to get my keyboard light back...and i briked my laptop...

How did you flash the stock bios? There's a recovery method for Asus, can't remember all the steps, but I got it working on my Ultrabook once, I think you need to press Ctrl+Home upon start. Maybe some other G75 user knows more.

Already try to hold CTRL+home but the g75 only starts for a second then turns off. The backlight goes on during the process.

I've flashed back to BIOS 210 to see if i can get my backlight back. It doesn't get back so i've flashed your vbios using your method and the G75 shut down durring the process...

Thanks a million svl7, I will go ahead and flash and see if its works. Is it possible to unlock the oc limit on the vbios for the 660m?

• Thumbs Up 1

i've flashed your vbios using your method and the G75 shut down durring the process...

Your system crashed during the use of the fpt?

In the previous post you said you bricked when trying to flash an Asus bios... so what now? A post like "I flashed a bios and it bricked" is really not helpful. I need to know what exactly you did, step by step.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a million svl7, I will go ahead and flash and see if its works. Is it possible to unlock the oc limit on the vbios for the 660m?

Should already be, unless I forgot to include it.

Your system crashed during the use of the fpt?

In the previous post you said you bricked when trying to flash an Asus bios... so what now? A post like "I flashed a bios and it bricked" is really not helpful. I need to know what exactly you did, step by step.

I have flashed your Vbios using your method. Then my backlight has gone. I have test games and bench to see if the GPU clock worked well.

Everything was fine except the backlight (your Vbios is awesome).

I've flashed back to BIOS 210 to see if i can get my backlight back with Asus Winflash using the /WinFlash nodate command. Backlight doesn't get back in bios 210. So i've flashed your vbios using your method and the G75 shut down durring the process...

And then the G75 has never started :/

I've flashed back to BIOS 210 to see if i can get my backlight back with Asus Winflash using the /WinFlash nodate command. It doesn't get back so i've flashed your vbios using your method and the G75 shut down durring the process...

And then the G75 has never started :/

Well if your system shuts down during the bios flash you're out of luck, no matter whether modified bios or stock. I'm not sure whether you've done something extraordinary or whether you simply had bad luck. I flashed my Asus ultrabook several dozen times with that method, forth and back between versions and never had issues.

With the current Asus systems it's most likely that you can't get back with the /nodate option, you need to do it differently.

Send in your system, Asus will fix it. BIOS flashes are covered by warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried every BIOS released for the G75vw trying to restore my keyboard lights and none of them have worked... Any idea?

I have no idea, I didn't touch anything which could possibly have something to do with the backlights. But I'm wondering... how have you been able to try all the other versions if Shaiytan hasn't been able to revert to an earlier version?

EDIT: Asus just released BIOS v222... might fix some issues. I did some quick research and it seems that many users aren't that happy with the stock v221... seems bugged.