[G75VW] - modified BIOS & VBIOS for higher overclocking

svl7

Well, I did it. Had to do a power drain and then go back into the bios. There was a cpu microcode update when I ran the bios through UBU, in the bios it says microcode patch 19, don't know if that's the newest or not but there doesn't appear to be any adverse affects.

• 4 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

I loaded my original hdd, it booted fine. I performed the ctrl+home and flashed back to v218, swapped the ssd back in and it sees the factory hdd (hitachi) but not the ssd as a boot device. In the sata mode selection menu though I can see it under sata port 1.

I would like to thank svl7 for this mod.

Since I didn't have 5 posts, I had to download the files from all over the internet, but I successfully flashed my G75VW-BBK5

I used the non overclock version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Bios Modder
does this mod work with the 670m? thanks for reply

Yes, but not for all GTX 670M. Only if your vbios have version with last digit 19. But not if your vbios have version with last digit 1B.

• 4 weeks later...

So let me get this right. The only difference between the unlocked overclock edition and the unlocked edition is simply that the overclock edition allows you to overclock more (or perhaps the unlocked one doesn't allow overclock at all)? I know the question seems dead simple and obvious, but I'm just trying to make sure that this is correct. More so, I'm wondering why there are 2 versions available, and not simply just the overclocked one. Maybe people would rather have a standard one, than an extreme one? It seems to me that everyone should just use the overclocked edition in such a case. Can anyone clarify this a little more? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

(Sorry for the double post)

After some extended testing, I noticed an issue.

Sometimes after an extended power off, when I powered the computer on to boot windows 7, it would start booting, however the animated boot splash logo NEVER showed (only the white "starting windows" text showed). If left alone long enough, the computer eventually rebooted, and then the screen came up that there was a problem with Windows. After going into startup repair, it would also freeze halfway through, then I would get an IOError. After I flashed back to the original BIOS, I have not seen this problem happen again.

All my drivers are updated, and all updates are installed. Some other things I changed were:

Using NVidia control panel, I changed my LCD to 85hz from 60hz. This seemed to sometimes cause a BSOD on boot (right after the splash screen). Changing back to 60hz seems to have caused that to disappear.

I disabled the hibernate feature.

I also lowered my page file to 3GB.

As I've said though, the IOError seems to be gone after flashing back to the original BIOS. Can anyone confirm this? I have never gotten a problem WHILE Windows was running; only during boot. And to fix the error I had to turn the computer off (no reboot) and boot up again, and it worked again until next time.

My laptop model is Asus ROG G75VW-TH71.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there.

I have no idea how to flash back to stock BIOS. (Ctrl + HOME doesn't work and easyflash always says "The BIOS file is older") The flash tool sv17 provided prompts "file is not valid".

Thus I think I need a BIOS backup file of stock BIOS which is created by "backup.bat".

Thanks.

• Bios Modder
Hello there.

I have no idea how to flash back to stock BIOS. (Ctrl + HOME doesn't work and easyflash always says "The BIOS file is older") The flash tool sv17 provided prompts "file is not valid".

Thus I think I need a BIOS backup file of stock BIOS which is created by "backup.bat".

Thanks.

Just use WinFlash program from ASUS website. But use with option /nodate

• 2 weeks later...

** Nevermind after trying the suggestion by Trollgeir of shutting down it seems to be working fine now. Thanks svl7 for the mod

having an odd problem here if anyone can suggest something. So I went through all the steps on the first page using the unlocked overclocked edition and in each step it said it was successful but for some reason I'm getting the original bios and gpu not overclocked. I have a g75vw with a 660m.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...