[G75VW] - modified BIOS & VBIOS for higher overclocking

svl7

So what are you suggesting I should do ? (I have no clue what ME FW is and did not quite got that Khenglish said)

ME FW = Intel Management Engine FirmWare. It's an extension of the core BIOS for more advanced BIOS features and hardware setup. The ME FW is what Intel XTU interacts with to change settings. It can cause your system not to boot, but I think the modded BIOS you flashed did not touch the ME FW, so you only need to worry about the core BIOS chip.

Interesting that the BIOS memory chip is 8MB. Flashing on a 4MB image only should not matter. Manufacturers often put on larger flash chips than they need. I think HP even uses 16MB chips.

On this laptop after a BIOS flash and resetting BIOS settings, it actually won't boot (freezes on POST screen) unless I start it off battery once. This laptop will also fail to boot on first startup after a BIOS flash. I'm not aware of any BIOS writing company (Insyde, AMI, etc) that doesn't write terrible BIOS code, and pretty much anything can go wrong for no good reason.

I would not be surprised at all if there is really nothing wrong with your BIOS image, but things just break down after a reset if things were set a certain way.

I would have the company reflash a stock BIOS image despite an 8MB image not being available. Make sure they only flash on the 4MB BIOS image and not the 6MB combined BIOS and ME FW. If that does not fix it then reflash the ME FW chip too.

Oh, now I get it, so there are two separate chips, one for the 2MB and another for the 4MB. I just managed to extract the file for the 4MB chip, that is why my file is 4MB. I wander when you buy a new bios chip from eBay to repair this brick, do you buy the 4MB or the 2MB ?

Also, I was wondering... can someone like you (Khenglish) or Klem use the bios file that is in the Asus site (6MB version v223) and just isolate the 4MB block and save it in a BIN file so I can flash it to my 4MB chip ?

Oh, now I get it, so there are two separate chips, one for the 2MB and another for the 4MB. I just managed to extract the file for the 4MB chip, that is why my file is 4MB. I wander when you buy a new bios chip from eBay to repair this brick, do you buy the 4MB or the 2MB ?

Also, I was wondering... can someone like you (Khenglish) or Klem use the bios file that is in the Asus site (6MB version v223) and just isolate the 4MB block and save it in a BIN file so I can flash it to my 4MB chip ?

FITC is saying it can't recognize the image format, so unfortunately I cannot split the flash images. I even tried old versions from before my FITC was released and still no go. I'm not sure why Asus deviated from the Intel standard.

Sorry.

I'm not aware of any BIOS writing company (Insyde, AMI, etc) that doesn't write terrible BIOS code, and pretty much anything can go wrong for no good reason.

Clevo uses the most cheap implementation of AMI firmware I have seen on systems with high-end hardware. Most of the Clevos don't even implement a proper recovery method afaik. This doesn't mean the code that AMI code is generally crap (even though I do prefer Insyde), but rather that certain OEMs don't want to spend money on a quality firmware. Just my 0.02

Bad idea, you will loose your system information, Windows 8 license (if your system came with it) and certain other variables which are not recoverable.

(If you were not being sarcastic) Thanks ! That would help me a lot lot !

Unfortunately I cannot extract out the 4MB image. FITC is not recognizing the format, meaning that ASUS is not following intel standards with the BIOS image. It might be possible with a hex editor, but I think that method would have high odds of resulting in a corrupt image.

Why corrupt ? Think is worth a shot or can it ruin my system ? (I think in worst case scenario it just does not work so no harm)

Even though the size is the same, your BIOS really is formatted much differently from standard. I can't make out where the ME FW is in a v223 BIOS image with a hex editor. A ME FW image has a characteristic header that I simply cannot find.

Oh well, thanks for the compromise anyway ! I still wander, when you buy a new bios chip and have it replaced, is that the chip that contains the 4MB or the one that contains the 2MB one ? I'm asking because I bought a new bios chip on eBay and was just curious what that chip was.

Oh well, thanks for the compromise anyway ! I still wander, when you buy a new bios chip and have it replaced, is that the chip that contains the 4MB or the one that contains the 2MB one ? I'm asking because I bought a new bios chip on eBay and was just curious what that chip was.

You want the 4MB chip. 4MB chip = BIOS, 2MB chip = ME FW

• Bios Modder

guido7142

Do not listen to what all tell you everything.

svl7 says the right things, we have one chip 8MB, it programmatically divided into several areas, one of them bios 6MB, in the second area ME 1.5 MB and several small under some other programs. The fact that you sent, it is part of the BIOS. Why? Perhaps what yours guys did wrong reading chip. I do not understand, why you do not want to give the laptop to an authorized service center Asus, where you just for the money replace or completely flash all chip.

Edited by Klem

I can not send it to Asus becasue I live in South America and in my country there is no support and I would have to send my notebook to USA to get it fixed, plus they will tell me for sure that they have to replace the motherboard and that would cost me $500 while just buying a new bios chip on eBay costed me just $16.

Thanks very much to all of you for answering to my issue. I now understand what is going on and confirm that what these people that dumped my bios file told me is correct, cause it is exactly the same as you are telling me now.

• Bios Modder

gatoxp

:)

1. In BIOS menu Security set security boot disable

2. In BIOS menu Boot set Launch CSM enabled, Launch PXE OpROM enabled.

Press F10

Enjoy!

• Bios Modder

Today I finished modifying the BIOS for G75VW overvolting GTX670M in our notebook. I increased voltage on the GPU in the P0 profile (Turbo Boost) at 0.02 V. GPU once easily overclocking over 870! On the 881 appeared some small artifacts in the form of multiplecolored dots. Fell back to 860, and ran 3DMark 2011 at 1 hour the cycle. Everything is fine! There are no artifacts, and temperature on the GPU is not rise above 80 degrees. Results 3DMark 2011:

GPU at 870 - 4239 with no artifacts!

GPU at 860 - 4190 with no artifacts! Stable run 1 hour 3DMark2011. The maximum temperature on GPU - 80 degrees.

Now i think flash in the BIOS 850/1800(900), and so stop in this.

I made this overvolting ​​specially only for P0 status (Turbo Boost). In other states (2D,Video,...) video card running at its standard voltages and frequencies, changing them in their own table.post-11295-14494994902216_thumb.png

post-11295-14494994899523_thumb.png

post-11295-14494994900434_thumb.png

Today I finished modifying the BIOS for G75VW overvolting GTX670M in our notebook. I increased voltage on the GPU in the P0 profile (Turbo Boost) at 0.02 V. GPU once easily overclocking over 870! On the 881 appeared some small artifacts in the form of multiplecolored dots. Fell back to 860, and ran 3DMark 2011 at 1 hour the cycle. Everything is fine! There are no artifacts, and temperature on the GPU is not rise above 80 degrees. Results 3DMark 2011:

GPU at 870 - 4239 with no artifacts!

GPU at 860 - 4190 with no artifacts! Stable run 1 hour 3DMark2011. The maximum temperature on GPU - 80 degrees.

Now i think flash in the BIOS 850/1800(900), and so stop in this.

I made this overvolting ​​specially only for P0 status (Turbo Boost). In other states (2D,Video,...) video card running at its standard voltages and frequencies, changing them in their own table.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6843[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6844[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6854[/ATTACH]

Hey Klem, how did you increase the voltage??

Edit: Sorry, I read further and realized that you modified the BIOS for overvolting. Congrats BTW! Jeez, I can't believe you broke the 4000 point barrier. Not going to lie, I am really jelly.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone having any issues with the BIOS backup .bat file. Just right click it and open it with notepad. Make sure to run cmd prompt as an administrator, change the active directory to where you extracted the tool, then manually read the .bat file and type in the command. Just thought I'd clear up any confusion in case anyone had the issue where the command prompt window just opened and shut down super fast without doing anything. :D

To save post space I'll just edit this post. But finally got it overclocked. Had to powercycle it because the BIOS was still showing the old info after 3 flashes.

Just ran Heaven on high settings and got a 150+- point increase from stock with only about 65C temps. Pretty darn good. This is all on a GTX660m btw.

UPDATE: Another couple of hours of tweaking and I got it down to about 1170 MHz for the GPU and 2550 MHz for the memory. I'm using Heaven Benchmark with High settings, no AA, 1920x1080p

Stock Clocks = 836 Points @ 950 GPU and 2500 Memory @ 64 C

Overclocked = 1002 Points @ 1170 GPU and 2550 Memory @ 70 C

For a laptop overclock that is impressive...gotta say, can't thank you enough for giving me the possibility of this OC :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello, first i want to thank you svl7 fore your time and your awesome work :) So i flashed my G75 gtx660m v-bios. Before i used nvidia inspector for overclocking and i got gpu 1270-1280 max and mem +500 which get 19400-19500p on 3d mark 06. But only problem was in drivers i was only able to use 306.97 rivers. Thanks to you i can now use latest 320.00 beta drivers, in your bios have no volt mod, so gpu clock stays same 1270-1280 and 500+ mem, and finally i got over 20k on 3dmark 06 with new drivers :D. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G75VW score: 20124 3DMarks

But i have question fore you, some games like crysis3 give me 30-60 fps with vertical sync on, but my gtx660m is not maxed out it yous only 80% gpu and voltage is only 1087mV, it have to be 1.1mV. I noticed that other games use 1.1mV . And the question is can i some how force my gpu on stage P0 again with your biosmod ?post-7964-14494995076854_thumb.png