[G75VW] - modified BIOS & VBIOS for higher overclocking

svl7

Anyone have some useful information on how good OC'ing the 660m has gone. I wanna see some before and after pictures of benchmarks :) Also, I haven't found out what the TDP of the 660m was, anyone know so I can limit myself when over clocking? All I know is it's 75w but does that translate into degrees C too?

I'm now in the same boat as R01f. I've got access to the new menus and stuff in the bios, but clock speeds are unchanged. I have the exact same system as him as well, purchased 2-6-2013. I also noticed that my bios was written in several chunks like R01f described, though I'm not terribly concerned about this. Any ideas on working out this issue? Should the default clock speed have been raised by the OC bios, or do I need to OC manually?

While I am not "Happy" that you are in the same boat as me, I guess at least someone else is having this "problem".

Perhaps as our numbers increase there will be some attention paid to our apparent exclusion and perhaps some effort made to get it working for us.

As Cory stated in his followup, we most certainly have the 660m card. I would have thought that would be obvious from my nvidia inspector screenshots, but I guess those pictures weren't worth a thousand words after all.

Bottom line: Some of us with newer machines, with 660m, have a bios that flashes in multiple chunks. Again, as memory serves, the numbers did not add up to the size of the flash. We have the new bios menu options, but no overclock.

Thanks for any investigations. I would be happy to help in any way that I can.

Rolf

While I am not "Happy" that you are in the same boat as me, I guess at least someone else is having this "problem".

Perhaps as our numbers increase there will be some attention paid to our apparent exclusion and perhaps some effort made to get it working for us.

As Cory stated in his followup, we most certainly have the 660m card. I would have thought that would be obvious from my nvidia inspector screenshots, but I guess those pictures weren't worth a thousand words after all.

Bottom line: Some of us with newer machines, with 660m, have a bios that flashes in multiple chunks. Again, as memory serves, the numbers did not add up to the size of the flash. We have the new bios menu options, but no overclock.

Thanks for any investigations. I would be happy to help in any way that I can.

Rolf

As for the size of the flash adding up, I'm not sure. I presume it would have had to for the BIOS to work properly. I wish I'd taken a screenshot to post showing that everything flashed in stages, chunks, whatever. Simply put, we're still capped at the +135 MHz overclocking limit regardless of the program, and I can't seem to flash back with a stock 223 as EZflash states it's an outdated build.

• Bios Modder

R01f

Done. Try. This is the modified version of the BIOS for your GTX660M graphics card. The whole procedure of the flashing BIOS firmware is the same as in the first post of this topic. In any case, put directly on drive C stock bios G75VWAS.223, first renaming it to G75VW.bin

• Thumbs Up 3

Klem,

I'll try this within the next few days. I want to make sure I'm in a position to go buy another laptop if necessary... :) Right now it's time to go to bed.

May I ask what you did differently or how you determined how to make specific changes for our version of the G75VW with 660m vs the previous version which did not work? I understand that you had to modify this latest version for your own 670m based laptop, is this correct?

I will give it a shot soon. I'll give feedback when I do. I just don't want to have to fall back on my G73 in the event of something going wrong.

Thanks,

Rolf

• Bios Modder

R01f

Do not be afraid. If you do everything I say, everything will be fine. In the system BIOS of our laptop has more video bios for the 660 and some for 670. Long to explain, some is UEFI, some is Legacy. svl7 changed only one that have most users, but I also changed the one that you have. I looked at what you have in your screenshots in this thread.

• Bios Modder

altvolt74

Are your system x64? If yes, start a command prompt as administrator and then by command cd go to the folder with the firmware files and dial backup.bat

• Thumbs Up 1

People, I am in the need of the 8MB bios file of the G75VW-BBK5 (not the one that can be downloaded from the internet). I need it to reprogram my bios chip with a programmer machine. I've tried all other methods, nothing worked, please if someone has it I would really appreciate it.

• Bios Modder

guido7142

The most correct method. Always works. Put the fie G75VWAS.223 befor rename it to G75VW.bin directly to the disk C:\ Then, the procedure is the one with which I have already described in this thread(Ctrl+Home). Think of what drives with Windows and put it in his base file G75VW.bin If you do not remember, put on both drives. Since the laptop you have a brick, pull out discs and plug it into another computer via SATA or USB adapter.

R01f

Done. Try. This is the first modified version of the BIOS for your GTX660M graphics card. The whole procedure of the flashing BIOS firmware is the same as in the first post of this topic. In any case, put directly on drive C stock bios G75VWAS.223, first renaming it to G75VW.bin

Omfg. I don't know what you did, but I finally have the overclock working. I'm assuming it had something to do with the UEFI section as I'm 100% certain my SSD with Windows 8 is running off that. I've verified that an EFI partition exists.

Anyways, thanks a million man!! Beautiful job!!

• Bios Modder

Cory Parker Staton

You're welcome! Besides overclocking GPU, in this version I made the memory overclocking and overvolting GPU by 0.02 V. That is now an additional overclocking by Afterburner or NV Inspector should increase. And yet, this version just for your video card and R01f.

And I'm always pleased to some donation for my beer! :Banane35:

Klem I've tested all those methods already but no results. NOW VERY IMPORTANT:

Guys, I have also a bricked G75VW, I just sent it to have my bios chio read and this is what it has. This is the corrupted bios file, if someone knows a way to recompile or fix it in some sort of way, I would be very greatful and it would help lots of people.

Specially slv7 if you see this, I would really appreciate if you could see how to fix this.

http://rapidshare.com/files/1677708445/old%2025l6445e.bin

Klem I've tested all those methods already but no results. NOW VERY IMPORTANT:

Guys, I have also a bricked G75VW, I just sent it to have my bios chio read and this is what it has. This is the corrupted bios file, if someone knows a way to recompile or fix it in some sort of way, I would be very greatful and it would help lots of people.

Specially slv7 if you see this, I would really appreciate if you could see how to fix this.

http://rapidshare.com/files/1677708445/old%2025l6445e.bin

Sorry, link did not work, this is a new link Download file old_25l6445e.bin.

• Bios Modder

guido7142

Why do you have a strange file size? If this is your bios file, it should be 6144 KB. Who, how and by what method he pulled out and gave you?

I sent my system to a company that has that machine that can securely extract the bios chip and put it into another machine that can read and rewrite the chip. The reason of why this file is just 4MB instead of 6MB is that, as these people explained, there are sort of two bios files, one that you can not modify (that apparently controls things in a more deep way), and there is another one (the one that can be downloaded from the web site of Asus and the one we mod) that can be easily be reflashed with easyFlash or WinFlash. Apparently when you brick your system, the bios that you have to re flash to the chip with this machie (assuming no other method of recovering worked) is by flashing this more deep bios that as I see is just 4MB.

What do you think ?

• Bios Modder

guido7142

I compared the data in your file with a file Mod.223. Most data sets and blocks is identical. We can conclude that your file is part of the BIOS file Mod.223. If those who make your file have a programmer device, then you really need to find a complete BIOS file 8MB. But where is it from? You need to ask for technical support or Asus, or authorized service center Asus.

The 223 bios is 6MB, I could find no file that was 8MB. People that dumped the file for me told me that the bios chip has a capacity of 8MB, but there was a 4MB file on it (the one I uploaded).

Do you suggest I go and ask these people to programm my bios chip (using the programmer machine) with the bios v223 that can be downloaded from the Asus site ?

The 223 bios is 6MB, I could find no file that was 8MB. People that dumped the file for me told me that the bios chip has a capacity of 8MB, but there was a 4MB file on it (the one I uploaded).

Do you suggest I go and ask these people to programm my bios chip (using the programmer machine) with the bios v223 that can be downloaded from the Asus site ?

6MB sounds correct if you have a 1.5MB ME FW. The BIOS will be on a 4MB chip, and the ME FW will be on a 2MB chip. There is a larger 5MB ME FW version that will result in around 12MB total image size (4MB + 8MB), but I think ASUS only uses the 1.5MB version.