EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs

what is a good card to buy now cheap for the expresscard slot. Something really cheap that is good value also have to spend on the egpu and a plus a power supply which is a lot of money for just some pc games

What program do you use to monitor and work on fan temps for better cooling? Can I achieve better cooling by just fan control?

Hi there folks,

Long time lurker, decided to sign-up in order to be able to better tweak my 2570P.

After reading this whole thread, I've installed a 3632qm which runs nice and temps are 60-65 Celcius under load. It has 2X8GB DDR1600 Kingston so-dimms which run fine. Some questions:

1) This came with an HP 19.5V PSU adapter although some use it with a 18.5V HP adapter? Which one is better? Can I damage the laptop if using the 19.5V one? Both are official.

2) If the laptop is left alone and unused for long periods of time (2-3 months), the keys on the keyboard don't register properly. You have to hit them hard a few times in order for them to start working again properly. Is this a known issue with these laptops?

3) This is a used laptop. It has some profiles in the bios and I always login as "guest" into the bios. Is there any workaround around this in order to remove the old profiles? Bios version is F65, no idea if there are better unofficial modded bios versions out there.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, PadPoet said:

1) This came with an HP 19.5V PSU adapter although some use it with a 18.5V HP adapter? Which one is better? Can I damage the laptop if using the 19.5V one? Both are official.

Both are fine. In fact, a laptop can handle even higher range of voltages just fine, and especially high-end ones like EliteBook series.

17 minutes ago, PadPoet said:

2) If the laptop is left alone and unused for long periods of time (2-3 months), the keys on the keyboard don't register properly. You have to hit them hard a few times in order for them to start working again properly. Is this a known issue with these laptops?

Yes, this is a known issue for laptops that were spilled on with Coca-Cola or beer :))

20 minutes ago, PadPoet said:

3) This is a used laptop. It has some profiles in the bios...

Stock+defaults should be always fine, unless you need something fancy. Maybe read what others achieved modding BIOS in that case

23 hours ago, stoyancho said:

what is a good card to buy now cheap for the expresscard slot. Something really cheap that is good value also have to spend on the egpu and a plus a power supply which is a lot of money for just some pc games

Got a ~$5 2xUSB3.0 card on AliExpress got very good speeds, but rather fragile build quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

Batyanko, I have a machine I bought but its bios is password protected do you know anyone who has the bin files

12 minutes ago, stoyancho said:

Batyanko, I have a machine I bought but its bios is password protected do you know anyone who has the bin files

Sorry, I have neither bins not even my 2570p any more. I hope some of the other people here do.

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I am wondering if someone already tried a vacuum cooler on the 2570p as seen below ? My goal is double :

1/ be able to use the laptop in silent mode (the default fan of the 2570p is not enough silent even at lower RPMs) so the vacuum cooler can "replace" the internal fan when the CPU is in low performance mode and

2/ reduce thermal throttling for the quad-cores in high performance mode (the default fan is not enough powerful, even with upgraded heatpipes).

Also, what do you think about thermoelectric pads ? A thermoelectric pad is like a "mini freezer" (doesn't need any fan or water to cool down something, but needs far more power). My second choice would be to use this pad plugged on an external powersouce (USB seems not enough powerful). Also, there are pads specifically made for smartphones, obviously they will not be able to cool down a full fledge laptop CPU but they could help to reduce the heat in power-saving mode, with no external battery. Nevertheless, didn't find suitable ones for the laptop, and here is a standard thermoelectric pad : https://www.amazon.fr/KIMILAR-Dissipateur-Refroidisseur-thermoélectrique-refroidissement/dp/B00ITMJPCU/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=powerful+laptop+cooler+peltier&qid=1616708231&sr=8-2

And a vacuum cooler :

Opolar LC05 Laptop Cooler with Vacuum Fan (Rapid Cooling, Auto-Temp Detection, 13 Wind Speed, Unique Clamp Design, Compatible with Cooling Pads)

https://www.amazon.com/LC05-Cooling-Auto-Temp-Detection-Compatible/dp/B00XKU47Y2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=opolar+laptop&qid=1581658306&sr=8-2&linkCode=sl1&tag=root0d5-20&linkId=70b64017e0966f958d12ef53d92908ed&language=en_US

Edited by juandante

Posted (edited)

I have an Opolar and I love it. It has both a temporary clamp-on or permanent mount option. I just use the temporary clamp when I want to use my 3940xm CPU, (this is not an endorsement of using the 3940xm CPU with the 2570p. I had the CPU available to experiment and probably am lucky that I don’t have any issues. I recommend reading other member’s recommendations), to encode video and it works great. No need to slow it down as it doesn’t thermal-throttle with the Opolar set on maximum speed. You can adjust the Opolar speed manually or set it to automatic. I have no other temperature cooling mods. I even just used the thermal grease that Intel packaged with the 3940xm CPU. I didn’t buy any special thermal compound. I’ve never been impressed with aftermarket thermal compounds. I like the Opolar vacuum cooler the best, because when I researched them, the other brands just sat next to the laptop. They didn’t include any clamping hardware. The Opolar isn’t silent, but I wouldn’t say that it’s sound is objectionable. It is a smooth sound even at it’s highest setting. Also, the clamping equipment came with 3 different-sized rubber seals. I used the largest seal and it works great. It fits between the USB/SATA port and extends to cover the rest of the right side of the 2570p clear to the back. The Opolar intake port then lines up well with the 2570p’s exhaust grill.

I still use my 2570p extensively for video work since it’s nicely portable and includes the optical drive, which I upgraded to one of the first Blu-Ray drives that is “4K-UHD compatible,” and still running it’s original BIOS so that it can read 4K-UHD disks while ignoring their copyright protection. Other mods are a Samsung 4TB SSD 860 Pro, 16GB RAM, Intel AC7260 802.11AC WAN adapter, (which is failing and needs replaced), and Windows 10 Pro set to delay Feature Updates for 18 months (maximum) and delay Security Updates for 30 days (maximum) in order to minimize problems.

I wish you good luck and maximum utility value from your modification choices!

Edited by John Entwistle

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2021 at 4:05 PM, John Entwistle said:

I have an Opolar and I love it. It has both a temporary clamp-on or permanent mount option. I just use the temporary clamp when I want to use my 3940xm CPU, (this is not an endorsement of using the 3940xm CPU with the 2570p. I had the CPU available to experiment and probably am lucky that I don’t have any issues. I recommend reading other member’s recommendations), to encode video and it works great. No need to slow it down as it doesn’t thermal-throttle with the Opolar set on maximum speed. You can adjust the Opolar speed manually or set it to automatic. I have no other temperature cooling mods. I even just used the thermal grease that Intel (scripts automatique d'installation [local ou via lan])d with the 3940xm CPU. I didn’t buy any special thermal compound. I’ve never been impressed with aftermarket thermal compounds. I like the Opolar vacuum cooler the best, because when I researched them, the other brands just sat next to the laptop. They didn’t include any clamping hardware. The Opolar isn’t silent, but I wouldn’t say that it’s sound is objectionable. It is a smooth sound even at it’s highest setting. Also, the clamping equipment came with 3 different-sized rubber seals. I used the largest seal and it works great. It fits between the USB/SATA port and extends to cover the rest of the right side of the 2570p clear to the back. The Opolar intake port then lines up well with the 2570p’s exhaust grill.

I still use my 2570p extensively for video work since it’s nicely portable and includes the optical drive, which I upgraded to one of the first Blu-Ray drives that is “4K-UHD compatible,” and still running it’s original BIOS so that it can read 4K-UHD disks while ignoring their copyright protection. Other mods are a Samsung 4TB SSD 860 Pro, 16GB RAM, Intel AC7260 802.11AC WAN adapter, (which is failing and needs replaced), and Windows 10 Pro set to delay Feature Updates for 18 months (maximum) and delay Security Updates for 30 days (maximum) in order to minimize problems.

I wish you good luck and maximum utility value from your modification choices

So there is no thermal throttle with the 3940XM (and in consequence, all less power-hungry CPUs as the 3820QM, etc) ? What is the maximum CPU temps in ThrottleStop (screenshot) ? If there is no thermal throttling, this will be undoubtedly the best "simple" mod for the 2570p to unleash its full power.

I did some basic calculations and the 3820QM if there was no throttling would bring the CPU to more than 120°C (at full power the CPU is throttling at about 25W on my laptop, while its normal power is 40W on the 2570p), I find it hard to believe that this cooler can bring down the laptop to 20°C (at least) to limit throttling. I tried a lot of impractical cooling methods (even the freezer, lol) and never managed to bring down the CPU to less than 100°C with no throttling in full load for more than a handful of minutes. How is this possible ? Can you post more information (room temperature, CPU temps, run time, screenshots) ?

Edited by juandante