11 hours ago, mikmaze said:

thanks Phobosse, I read a bit over there, what was the tough part about setting it up?

Many people think that plug in card is all that you need for work.  Simple plug in work only in linux and mac os but in windows you need handle some errors, like error 12 and error 43.

• 2 weeks later...

not sure I am up for messing with scripts. for now I have started  folding at home and try to do what I can for the world and figure out the covid 19  thing in hopes to help for a cure.   boy does the cpu get warm fast.

4 hours ago, MioIV said:

Probably bios can be patched for the modern eGPU support now?..

What do yo mean by modern eGPU ? modern eGPU need thunderbolt. But you always can use expresscard. It works with some performance loss. I tried rx 580 and gtx 1060

5 hours ago, Phobosse said:

What do yo mean by modern eGPU ? modern eGPU need thunderbolt. But you always can use expresscard. It works with some performance loss. I tried rx 580 and gtx 1060

I mean out-of-the-box support for the fresh GPUs to work through EC without any scripts. AFAIK main trouble was dedicated memory capacity that can be shared with the eGPU. Now we have ability to succefully patch any EFI module including DSDT.

46 minutes ago, MioIV said:

I mean out-of-the-box support for the fresh GPUs to work through EC without any scripts. AFAIK main trouble was dedicated memory capacity that can be shared with the eGPU. Now we have ability to succefully patch any EFI module including DSDT.

It works oob in Linux and Mac Os. Problems only in Windows, I don't think that bios patches can help. 

ok, curious, I have the 3840qm running, task manager shows 100% cpu usage, core temp shows 81 c, but power is only listed as 35 watts, is it nearing throtle limiting at that temp? I do have the 90 watt power supply.    

• 2 weeks later...

New user.

Just thanking MioIV for posting the modified BIOS. Followed the instructions and can confirm the WWAN whitelist is gone. UEFITool and HxD (Hex Editor) was used. Had to use a Bus Pirate V3 on Ubuntu Linux to hardware flash the BIOS. Laptop starts Win10 just as fast, with no weird side effects.

The only thing notable that it has the "Machine is not in committed state" warning when it first starts and shows the HP Logo. Aside from that, it seems fine.

Hi,

haven't been here for a while, thinking the folks have moved on to newer models, and wow, modded bios? Nice!

Anyways, I managed to get another 2570p, but with set bios password which is unknown.

Since HP no longer does the smc.bin recovery, is there a way how to clear the password by other means?

Edit: I can't seem to find the bios file outlined in the above post. Was it removed?

Edited by Andrew479

On 3/28/2020 at 2:13 AM, mikmaze said:

ok, curious, I have the 3840qm running, task manager shows 100% cpu usage, core temp shows 81 c, but power is only listed as 35 watts, is it nearing throtle limiting at that temp? I do have the 90 watt power supply.    

Check frequency. 3840QM runs at 3.3-3.4GHz at 35W package power. Ideally use throttlestop for this.

Andrew, funny thing is that it sits at 99.74 x 32, 33, 34, up to 38 multiplier, never see it go 100 x.............. voltage is always adjusting based on heat.     I have a few heat sinks on the way to apply to the open bottom in a good airflow, see if that helps.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:45 AM, Andrew479 said:

Hi,

haven't been here for a while, thinking the folks have moved on to newer models, and wow, modded bios? Nice!

Anyways, I managed to get another 2570p, but with set bios password which is unknown.

Since HP no longer does the smc.bin recovery, is there a way how to clear the password by other means?

Edit: I can't seem to find the bios file outlined in the above post. Was it removed?

It's here. But take a note that in your case moving the nvram section probably will also keep a password, thus you'll need to initialize system information with manufacturing tools. You also can just close manufacturing mode without setting any information, or flash an older (f.34, if i remember that right) bios dump without any modifications (of course system info will be different then).

Edited by MioIV

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 11:28 AM, Phobosse said:

buy bios chip on ebay and solder it

It's not quite an easy and cheap exercise - $16 for the chip, and risking the mobo as well.

On 4/11/2020 at 1:51 PM, MioIV said:

It's here. But take a note that in your case moving the nvram section probably will also keep a password, thus you'll need to initialize system information with manufacturing tools. You also can just close manufacturing mode without setting any information, or flash an older (f.34, if i remember that right) bios dump without any modifications (of course system info will be different then).

Thanks. I returned the 2570p with locked BIOS. It seems it's just not worth the effort for the money saved.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:06 AM, mikmaze said:

Andrew, funny thing is that it sits at 99.74 x 32, 33, 34, up to 38 multiplier, never see it go 100 x.............. voltage is always adjusting based on heat.     I have a few heat sinks on the way to apply to the open bottom in a good airflow, see if that helps.

Probably the best idea would be to use really good TIM like kryonaut or going altogether with liquid metal.

For LM though, the copper coldplate should be nickel plated first, as LM will eat through copper in time.

Good news is, only few microns of nickel layer is needed.

I'd try it on my own, but this covid situation left me with no lab equipment in my second flat.

But Kryonaut should definitely improve things considerably.

Also drill 8mm holes below the vent area to increase airflow.

By the way, is there a guide how to install coreboot and seabios on 2570p ?

Edited by Andrew479

Thanks Andrew, just ordered the kryonaut.    I have the rear cover off, and a few extra heat sinks on the back of the cooling plate, but kryo will go on when it gets here.    running folding at home is a breeze, pretty seamless use of the computer when I am on it, resources go to me when I need them, fah when I don't.

Edited by mikmaze

I was wondering if the kryonaut has a real difference comparing to mx4 thermal paste. Unfortunatelly I am forced to use the docking station so more overheating problems with this. Throttling down every time cpu gets 100% after 1 - 2 minutes. i7 3840QM.

Hello again. I was trying to flash the modified me for this laptop. I can dump the bios, but when I try to flash it says error 25... I tried the combination of win left arrow and right arrow, but if i restart the laptop and hold the combination it gives ME this error, but when I shutdown and then start the laptop with this combination it shuts down itself. Is it because i have a 2nd gen CPU on this laptop? Or i did something wrong? 

On 4/9/2020 at 8:45 AM, Andrew479 said:

Hi,

It is veeery easy to clean bios pass , only pain is opening laptop and read Bios in external programmer , and you only need to clean four lines and fill with FF . Do not try to put another downloaded bios ...

Edited by maxcombor

On 4/28/2020 at 2:22 AM, maxcombor said:

It is veeery easy to clean bios pass , only pain is opening laptop and read Bios in external programmer , and you only need to clean four lines and fill with FF . Do not try to put another downloaded bios ...

Some instructions then?

On 4/26/2020 at 9:03 PM, AndyAndrei said:

Hello again. I was trying to flash the modified me for this laptop. I can dump the bios, but when I try to flash it says error 25... I tried the combination of win left arrow and right arrow, but if i restart the laptop and hold the combination it gives ME this error, but when I shutdown and then start the laptop with this combination it shuts down itself. Is it because i have a 2nd gen CPU on this laptop? Or i did something wrong? 

If your laptop have the latest bios, then descriptor overriding method is not for you - i've wrote earlier about this stuff. You need to downgrade or patch the descriptor with external programmer.

On 4/20/2020 at 8:55 AM, Andrew479 said:

By the way, is there a guide how to install coreboot and seabios on 2570p ?

Look for the generic build instruction at the coreboot wiki, it's easy to build (easier than extract the needed firmware parts from HP's bios). Probably i have a backup copy of the coreboot, will look tomorrow, but take a note that acpi implementation there is unfinished and you'll get some troubles in Windows (i'm just switched back to the patched f73).

Just decided to swap a stock i3 back since i don't need i7 horsepower at this time, and that's what i'll got from liquid metal installed six months ago. Other than lack of contact, seems like dried alloy formed an increase in the size of the processor die, that means something (die or/and the heatsink) isn't flat. Honestly, i can't recommend to use LM, there was not much boost in the temp stability compared with GD900 even when LM was really liquid ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Spoiler

photo_2020-05-01_02-27-10.jpg

photo_2020-05-01_02-27-04.jpg

photo_2020-05-01_02-27-07.jpg

Edited by MioIV

12 hours ago, MioIV said:

Some instructions then?

If your laptop have the latest bios, then descriptor overriding method is not for you - i've wrote earlier about this stuff. You need to downgrade or patch the descriptor with external programmer.

Look for the generic build instruction at the coreboot wiki, it's easy to build (easier than extract the needed firmware parts from HP's bios). Probably i have a backup copy of the coreboot, will look tomorrow, but take a note that acpi implementation there is unfinished and you'll get some troubles in Windows (i'm just switched back to the patched f73).

Just decided to swap a stock i3 back since i don't need i7 horsepower at this time, and that's what i'll got from liquid metal installed six months ago. Other than lack of contact, seems like dried alloy formed an increase in the size of the processor die, that means something (die or/and the heatsink) isn't flat. Honestly, i can't recommend to use LM, there was not much boost in the temp stability compared with GD900 even when LM was really liquid ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Reveal hidden contents

photo_2020-05-01_02-27-10.jpg

photo_2020-05-01_02-27-04.jpg

photo_2020-05-01_02-27-07.jpg

Can you tell me how to downgrade the bios? Or send me a link in this article?

51 minutes ago, AndyAndrei said:

Can you tell me how to downgrade the bios? Or send me a link in this article?

Unfortunately, i can't give you the full instruction nor say it will be 100% method. You have two options: try to downgrade from Windows or prepare a efi-compatible usb stick with a flasher module, bios image and signature files for this image, and then select the BIOS Update in a bios. HP made this method very complicated due to lack of documentation. Here is an example, but probably it incomplete.

High possibility that there is no downgrade option - as i see users with probooks cannot downgrade by the official way.

Edited by MioIV