On 25.03.2018 at 7:34 PM, ae00711 said:

I'm wanting to upgrade the wifi card - what's the newest I can go?

The newest wifi card is AzureWave AW-CB160H Broadcom BCM94360HMB 802.11AC 1300Mbps Wireless WIFI WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 Mini PCI-E Card

• Thumbs Up 1

I've recently obtained this laptop, and I'm very happy with its performance for my (admittedly light) use cases. However, there are a few things that bother me a bit.

I'm running Win7 on it, and I can't seem to find the Enhancements tab in the Audio settings, no matter the IDT driver version. Anyone have an idea how to get loudness equalization to work? It's really bugging me to have to always meddle with the volume control on the speakers, especially given that they're not exactly within an arm's length - which brings me to the next issue.

The second problem is the woeful performance of the bluetooth module. Things get really laggy (up to .5 sec) and choppy when streaming sound to my speakers that are barely a metre away. I'm already planning on doing the hardware mod described in the thread to make a combo WiFi AC/BT 4.0 module work, but I wonder if there could be more to this problem than just the original adapter being crappy. Can anyone comment?

Finally, the touchpad is sometimes reluctant to register two-finger touches for scrolling, unless I make a point of placing them with some distance in-between. Not something I experienced on other laptops. Is this something that can be fixed with driver juggling, or will I have to adapt?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 4:49 AM, ae00711 said:

the slot that takes the LTE/4G card.. can I put a second WiFi card in? I want a dedicated NIC for VM(s)

nope. second slot has a white list and works only with whitelisted wwan modules.

• Thumbs Up 1

what an easy upgrade,  3840QM running smooth as silk, good grease and not one issue.    16 gb ram, 500 gb ssd, blazing along running windows preview builds.

good lord never realized how fast a virus scan could go,  this thing breezes through in a miute and 16 seconds, shows all 8 logical processors running damn near 100%

90 watt psu, quieter than the dual core that came out.

Edited by mikmaze
added experience

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys - i've  been a silent reader for the past 6 mths or so and have learnt so much. The world where new laptops are beginning to follow the surface pro model - with everything soldered disgusts me.

I'm a lenovo fanboy who thinks the X220 is the best laptop (period). I also own the 2560p and I like it despite the lack of modifications compared to the X220.

Anyway to answer the 16 GB stick per slot question - PLEASE DO NOT BUY AND TEST.

This support is not a software "whitelist" limitation on the 2570P but purely due to the Ivy bridge limitation.

The earliest CPU support is the 2015 Broadwell 5th gen and above. Google the Lenovo X250 which only had a single ram slot and someone in the forums finally had the chance to buy a stick (which was super expensive!)

You can still reach 32gb in your 2nd to 4th gen pga based CPU, but you require these 2 components:

- 4 ram slots

- i7 4 core CPU (eg - an i7-2640M will only recognise 16gb out of the 32 gb you have but a i7-2630QM will be able to confirm and utilise all 4 slots to 32GB DDR3)

time to look for the 8560 or any other 4 slot laptops that are still cheap along with a quad core cpu.

A clevo based laptop would be the easiest solution here but they have their own problems such as the lack of bios support and it's tough to find a cheap one too.

The HP or Lenovo 4 slot laptops are the 8560w and the W thinkpad series.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/6/2018 at 2:13 PM, juandante said:

Sorry dude, not all of us use their laptop to play video games and watch only YouTube videos. I don't know who you where referring to about the browser tabs but for my case, 10 years ago when I was using Opera 12 to process Internet on a Core 2 Duo ULV (of dual core 1.1 Ghz), I could have at peak 50 tabs open and use only 1.5 Gb of RAM (100% no lie) with an almost not noticeable slowdown. This is incredible in 2018, and most web-page don't do so much more than 10 years ago. There is no 3D animation or some sort of revolutionary advancement that explains why we use 6 times more today. So I don't know what you mean by "basics" but  my computer basics where already to do this.

I need to open at least 20-25 tabs very frequently in my work to process information on web-pages so this is not just for fun or just the faint of heart. This could be done with a script and command line but the browser engines are far less buggy in processing  web-page because of the big competition. A recent video game is consuming less memory than opening web-page on browsers, this would be something of insane 10 years ago. And I don't know if you live on Earth but Windows 10 64-bits is using more memory than 32-bits, and 32-bits PAE (equiv to 36-bits) can do the same as 64-bits for 99% of users. so I don't get your point, and this is not the subject as even on 64-bit users complain. The point is Windows 10 memory management is bad.

Hey man - the main reason for the massive use in RAM on browsers are due to the spike in tracking/monitoring programs in the background.

Market data researcch or big data is becoiming such a valuable commodity that our privacy is considered to be less important,. we are to blame for such evolution though as I bet the majority of us signed up for gmail when the next best free email service was hotmail with a max data allowance compared to google's free.

Of course back then I was wondering why someone would offer this service for free but at least 10 years now - we know the answer.. n this will only get worse as they become more creative to design ways that continue to profile us.

Windows 10contiues to offer free upgrades to anyone and guess what - they are also the largest data miner too.  Win 7 and 8 support would be terminated 4 years ago if not forthe big backlash that forced them to offer downgrades.

Anti malware programs that Ihave only began to be aware of in the last 4 years are now a must. And that too ins't going to do any favours for your RAM.

So to me -16gb is still ok for me as the X220 continues to be supported by lenovo (this is the only sandy bridge based model i know that has both Spectre & Meltdown patches done)

Both Intel & Lenovo officially ended support for X220 for Win 10 OS but yet they continue to release drivers that are critical for windows10 under the X220 driver section.

So choose the big 3 like DELL, Lenovo and HP as they only do it out of fear that this would negatively impact their brand. (sorry DELL you are  actually the only one without a whitelist)

Running latest bios all patched and modded to install the 7260 AC and BT 4.0 support and remove the nonsense of capping DDR3 speeds.

My 2560P however is not that flexible but I really like the maintenance hatch design and the removeable cpu option but if you think installing a quad core would help with the multiple browser issue; it's only marginal as single core speeds still dominate this... so you would be better of with even just a i5 processor as they are slightly faster in single core and has the same benefits through hyperthreading as the i7 versions which are also dual cores.. Eitherway - withoutthe QM cpu - u save on time worry about heat issue, battery life and also $ to address the 2 issue and buying the CPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2018 at 4:28 AM, tomadeira said:

This support is not a software "whitelist" limitation on the 2570P but purely due to the Ivy bridge limitation.

What Ivy Bridge limit?
Intel Ark states that 3xxx RAM limit is 32GB - at least that what it says on the page of the 3610QM.

Edited by ae00711

On 6/5/2018 at 6:24 AM, ae00711 said:

What Ivy Bridge limit?
Intel Ark states that 3xxx RAM limit is 32GB - at least that what it says on the page of the 3610QM.

8Gb per slot limit. 32gb works on 8760w with 4 ram slots

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2018 at 12:58 PM, Phobosse said:

nope. second slot has a white list and works only with whitelisted wwan modules.

stubborn as I am .. tried anyway, as my BCM94360CD (aka Apple Airport) worked great before in an Dell E6430, and ... indeed doesn't work with BIOS v67 on HP 2570P. 

On 7/10/2018 at 4:00 AM, mikmaze said:

now running the newest bios for the last week, no issues... 68ISB Ver. F.71

Really? Okay, giving it a spin!

Updates:

Conclusion (after quick reading through the whole thread again); sticking to a half-size 802.11n for now + HSDPA in the WWAN slot.

Edited by Rhyker2U
updates

I am having zero issues, but I haven't got anything crazy running, just the quad core, a 500 gb ssd, and 16 gigs of ram........ everything else is stock.

PCMark 7

Valid result

Score 5 542 with Intel HD Graphics 4000 Mobile(1x) and Intel Core i7-3840QM

Edited by mikmaze

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/07/2018 at 6:07 PM, mikmaze said:

I am having zero issues, but I haven't got anything crazy running, just the quad core, a 500 gb ssd, and 16 gigs of ram........ everything else is stock.

PCMark 7

Valid result

Score 5 542 with Intel HD Graphics 4000 Mobile(1x) and Intel Core i7-3840QM

Yes I have the 3820qm and I can only imagine the 3840qm  obviously more powerful. The 3820qm for my part is indead a real pleasure to use. I think the CPU is powerful but on Windows 10 for everyday use the GPU is also very good and gives a snappy feeling. The GPU is extremely quick (for what it is supposed to be), matter I have a Dell with a NVIDIA quadro 2000m running at 200fps in one game and the 3820qm gpu is running at 140fps. Really this impresses me because before an Intel integrated GPU would be crawling and lagging like hell. Having a good GPU and a powerful CPU makes those quad core very good. And also, they run almost at max turbo on the 2570p.

On 11/07/2018 at 2:27 AM, Rhyker2U said:

stubborn as I am .. tried anyway, as my BCM94360CD (aka Apple Airport) worked great before in an Dell E6430, and ... indeed doesn't work with BIOS v67 on HP 2570P. 

Really? Okay, giving it a spin!

Updates:

Conclusion (after quick reading through the whole thread again); sticking to a half-size 802.11n for now + HSDPA in the WWAN slot.

I tested an external Wifi module (TV decoder) on the 2570p wifi slot and it was working. On the wwan slot I think 1/ there is black list and 2/ anyway the wwan module connections are odd. I really hate HP for blacklisting their slots, this should be forbidden and is not a good act. Especially when considering the initial price of those laptops. Dell and Acer are the few that don't blacklist their slots.

On 05/06/2018 at 5:24 AM, ae00711 said:

What Ivy Bridge limit?

Yes I read also the Ivy bridge (any one) are limited to 32gb for quadcore and dualcore. For the Sandy bridge I CONFIRM that 32gb max is only for quad core and 16gb max for dual core at least with 8gb modules. I think it is a good try. If it doesn't work, just return the sticks.

On 05/05/2018 at 8:28 PM, tomadeira said:

- i7 4 core CPU (eg - an i7-2640M will only recognise 16gb out of the 32 gb you have but a i7-2630QM will be able to confirm and utilise all 4 slots to 32GB DDR3)

I was answering to this. I agree for the Sandybridge part. But him he has a Ivybridge. So 16 GB stick will not work on Ivybridge ? I seriously doubt this. Ivybridge can support up to 32gb for any i7 model but the number of sticks is independent (you can have 4 * 8 or 2*16). What is important is the stick memory density, but I am not even sure this is still a matter (was a pretty big matter for ddr2, for ddr3 not sure).

Edited by juandante

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 2:13 PM, invait53 said:

The newest wifi card is AzureWave AW-CB160H Broadcom BCM94360HMB 802.11AC 1300Mbps Wireless WIFI WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 Mini PCI-E Card

Hi invait53.

I'm looking to buy the wifi card you mentioned. But before I do, I would like to ask for a confirmation:

1) Were you able to connect to an AC speed network using that wifi card?

2) Did bluetooth 4.0 work?

Looking forward to your response.

On 13.08.2018 at 5:53 PM, Onoakino said:

Hi invait53.

1) Were you able to connect to an AC speed network using that wifi card?

2) Did bluetooth 4.0 work?

Hi, @Onoakino

1) I have router ZyXEL Keenetic Giga III:
Link speed (Receive/Transmit):    1300/866 (Mbps)   
Network name:    Keenetic-6550-5G

2) Yes, bluetooth 4.0 works well. But you must do the mod.

P.S. I'm planning to go to the Philippines on January 2019. Hope see you there. 

Edited by invait53

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning to get a new laptop (an ultrabook) with an i5 8x50u (something 8th gen i5 like this, running at 4.5 Ghz on 1 core). I did new benchmarks Throttlestop with the 3820qm. Actually I was shocked,

the 3820qm : 9seconds for 8 threads.

the 8th gen CPU : 9 seconds for 8 threads. (thus, the Windows 10 and ultrabook was in a shopping mall so very bloated, so maybe one could hope to gain 1 second by removing all the bloatware)

Note : the ultrabook was throttling but  the 3820qm on my 2570 is running at constant 3.4 Ghz with absoluetly 0 throttling (maybe 50 mhz max) at about 85°C.

So if you want performance and portability for cheap, the 2570p is still OK. Unfortunatly (or fortunatly, for their prices at least), the ultrabooks have other advantages like 4K screens or battery autonomy.

Edited by juandante

@invait53

Thank you for your feedback. I'll try to do the mod once I got the time.

Hope you'll have fun once you visit my country. :) 

I have another issue I'm facing with today.

I bought a pair of used Samsung ddr3 sodimm ram.

The sticker on BOTH RAM stick it reads:

8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3

M471B1G73DB0-YK0

Meaning it has the same part number, perfect for dual-channel.

However, if used together, my elitebook would refuse to boot.

Using both RAM on both ram slots.

Upon power on, the fan would really blow air like the laptop wants to fly. I've never seen my laptop fan go crazy like that.

The screen wont power on, and the lights on the home button and caps lock would blink simultaneously. It stays like that until I do a hard reset/power off.

If I just use one RAM and put it on the upper ram slot, the laptop would boot successfully, fan is ok.

Same case with the other RAM stick. So both rams work independently. 

If I put one one RAM on the lower slot and no ram at the upper slot, device won't boot. 

Both RAM slots work as I was using two 4gb of ram on it for a total of 8gb dual-channel.

I'm really stumped. HP 2750p supports two 8gb ddr3 pc3L 12800 ram sticks for a 16gb dual channel max. Yet my device refuses to boot. :(

I'm on bios 41. I'm thinking of upgrading to the latest BIOS but that is the last thing I'd do. I would just want to ask here first if you guys have tried installing the same RAM and succeeded. 

Never mind. I tried reseating the RAM at the lower slot and applied a little bit more force. It finally boots the computer with just one slot. Then I added the 2nd ram on the upper slot. It boots. 

It appears the 2nd RAM was not getting enough surface contact with the pins of the second slot, that's why it won't boot. 

Both rams now detected in dual-channel mode.

Problem solved.

FJIMG_20180824_155306.jpg

Edited by Onoakino
Problem solved.

46 minutes ago, Onoakino said:

@invait53

Thank you for your feedback. I'll try to do the mod once I got the time.

Hope you'll have fun once you visit my country. :) 

I have another issue I'm facing with today.

I bought a pair of used Samsung ddr3 sodimm ram.

The sticker on BOTH RAM stick it reads:

8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3

M471B1G73DB0-YK0

Meaning it has the same part number, perfect for dual-channel.

However, if used together, my elitebook would refuse to boot.

Using both RAM on both ram slots.

Upon power on, the fan would really blow air like the laptop wants to fly. I've never seen my laptop fan go crazy like that.

The screen wont power on, and the lights on the home button and caps lock would blink simultaneously. It stays like that until I do a hard reset/power off.

If I just use one RAM and put it on the upper ram slot, the laptop would boot successfully, fan is ok.

Same case with the other RAM stick. So both rams work independently. 

If I put one one RAM on the lower slot and no ram at the upper slot, device won't boot. 

Both RAM slots work as I was using two 4gb of ram on it for a total of 8gb dual-channel.

I'm really stumped. HP 2750p supports two 8gb ddr3 pc3L 12800 ram sticks for a 16gb dual channel max. Yet my device refuses to boot. :(

I'm on bios 41. I'm thinking of upgrading to the latest BIOS but that is the last thing I'd do. I would just want to ask here first if you guys have tried installing the same RAM and succeeded. 

FJIMG_20180824_155306.jpg

I am using 16gb on my 2570p it is not an absolute laptop problem it is probably due to your specific configuration.

You are searching for help but update your bios first of all. Except if you have a good reason not to do so.

Second, I had quickbooting problem when running dual channel with the exact same symptoms but fixing it was as simple as cleaning the RAM slot.

Last samsung is not a reference in RAM modules so try the sticks on another laptop to see if it is the sticks, but in my experience this is the very last thing that can be the cause.

1 hour ago, juandante said:

I am using 16gb on my 2570p it is not an absolute laptop problem it is probably due to your specific configuration.

You are searching for help but update your bios first of all. Except if you have a good reason not to do so.

Second, I had quickbooting problem when running dual channel with the exact same symptoms but fixing it was as simple as cleaning the RAM slot.

Last samsung is not a reference in RAM modules so try the sticks on another laptop to see if it is the sticks, but in my experience this is the very last thing that can be the cause.

Thanks for the quick reply friend.

Yes, you are correct. Dirt could also play a factor. In my case, it's just loose connection.

It's my conscious choice to stay on BIOS 41 as much as I can. I looked at the BIOS revisions too, but iterations above BIOS 41 does not address issues with RAM not being recognized, so updating it was really last on my list. I'm glad I didn't update. I'm afraid it would mess my Hackintosh dual boot setup on this little workhorse. (I'm currently on dual-boot setup, windows 10 and Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6) :)

I almost believed I made a bad purchase today in buying Samsung RAM. I really suspected it was because my new Samsung RAM had 12800s when on the reference sheet, HP only mentioned 12800 type of RAMs. That, and it having an extra 's' at the end, plus it not being on the reference sheet. But, prior to today, I'm using non-HP RAMs: my dual channel setup uses 4gb Elpida RAM plus 4gb Buffalo RAM and they worked nicely on dual-channel despite not being on the list. So branding was less of an issue for me -- based on my experience with building my own rig PCs. But earlier, it cast doubts on what I think I know about PCs. I was really stumped. 

So  I'm ultra happy these rams work. 

Got it for just 57 usd used, but in very great condition, and I believe its a steal so I'm super happy at the moment. :D

Edited by Onoakino

• 3 weeks later...

@invait53 @anyone 

I've disassembled my notebook to get the motherboard and now it is lying in wait until I get a response from you. I bought an atheros half-mini wlan AC bluetooth combo card. I want to enable bluetooth.

Q: What type of wire should I use to connect the wlan pins to dock? Are the wires from cat5 ethernet cable too thick for the purpose? Should I use a different wire? Will the wires inside a mouse cable sufficient? 

What type of wire is the best to use? I'm not an electrician nor an electronics engineer. Sorry if this question seems dumb. 

Edited by Onoakino
Typo

Use whatever you have.

Every cable you have it's ok,but everything depends on your soldering skills.

If you are good at soldering,dosn't matter if the cable is thick.

If your are not so good at soldering,you need a thin cable.

Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1