Hi @Tech Inferno Fan, i'm now testing the 660 on my system but I am not able to boot the card for the bios. It is really plug and play or I need to do something else? The Xps 1340 "see" the card automatically, the hp give a black screen from the boot. Thanks.

The 2570P BIOS must not see the eGPU on boot. If it does, then it hangs/black screens. The workaround is to either (1) use any PERST# Delay (PE4L 2.1b SW1=3, 6.9s) you have one on your eGPU adapter OR (2) halt Win7/8 bootup by hitting F8 and hotplug the powerered eGPU adapter into the expresscard slot and then continue loading Win7/8.

Please supply the i7-3720QM Throttlestop 4-core TDP/VID data. We have no information on that CPU at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432 . Thanks.

The 2570P BIOS must not see the eGPU on boot. If it does, then it hangs/black screens. The workaround is to either (1) use any PERST# Delay (PE4L 2.1b SW1=3, 6.9s) you have one on your eGPU adapter OR (2) halt Win7/8 bootup by hitting F8 and hotplug the powerered eGPU adapter into the expresscard slot and then continue loading Win7/8.

Please supply the i7-3720QM Throttlestop 4-core TDP/VID data. We have no information on that CPU at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432 . Thanks.

Mmmm @Tech Inferno Fan I'm lost. How PERST# Delay works on my PE4L 2.1b? The F8 don't works. If I plug it after the login the card is reveled by windows 8.1 (driver installed) but the fans of the 660 don't spin, and the card give a resources conflict (code 12) after the reboot :(

P.s. I'll test i7-3720QM Throttlestop next week (bt the way seems that it can keep x32 only).

Mmmm @Tech Inferno Fan I'm lost. How PERST# Delay works on my PE4L 2.1b? The F8 don't works. If I plug it after the login the card is reveled by windows 8.1 (driver installed) but the fans of the 660 don't spin, and the card give a resources conflict (code 12) after the reboot :(

P.s. I'll test i7-3720QM Throttlestop next week (bt the way seems that it can keep x32 only).

Set PERST# delay to 6.9s (SW1=3). Power on the eGPU just before powering on the notebook. If the delays works then the system will boot. If the delay is too short, or there was too much time between switching on the eGPU adapter and the notebook then again will be black screen.

Alternatively, to halt Win7 from loading, hit F8. To halt Win8.x from loading, set the legacy flag with 'bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy' and then you can also hit F8 to halt it from loading. Ensure you have the eGPU powered and then hotplug the EC2C end (expresscard end) of the PE4L 2.1b into the expresscard slot.

Sry to hear your i7-3720QM can only hold x32. Please ensure you have the iGPU drivers loaded and in the Intel HD control panel, set the power settings to "Max battery" even when on AC. See if that gives you a little lower TDP so can perhaps get a x33/x34 4C TS-bench run.

Set PERST# delay to 6.9s (SW1=3). Power on the eGPU just before powering on the notebook. If the delays works then the system will boot. If the delay is too short, or there was too much time between switching on the eGPU adapter and the notebook then again will be black screen.

Alternatively, to halt Win7 from loading, hit F8. To halt Win8.x from loading, set the legacy flag with 'bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy' and then you can also hit F8 to halt it from loading. Ensure you have the eGPU powered and then hotplug the EC2C end (expresscard end) of the PE4L 2.1b into the expresscard slot.

Sry to hear your i7-3720QM can only hold x32. Please ensure you have the iGPU drivers loaded and in the Intel HD control panel, set the power settings to "Max battery" even when on AC. See if that gives you a little lower TDP so can perhaps get a x33/x34 4C TS-bench run.

@Tech Inferno Fan Nothing... :(

Boot Win8 (No EC)

Enabled legacy flag

Reboot

F8

Windows Boot Screen

Powered EGPU

EC -> Hp Slot

Selected Continue Normal Windows

And nothing, windows starts as usual (in the laptop screen), and the Gtx660 is releved but don't work (code 12)

@Tech Inferno Fan Nothing... :(

Boot Win8 (No EC)

Enabled legacy flag

Reboot

F8

Windows Boot Screen

Powered EGPU

EC -> Hp Slot

Selected Continue Normal Windows

And nothing, windows starts as usual (in the laptop screen), and the Gtx660 is releved but don't work (code 12)

Disable your iGPU in Win8.x. Reboot and try again. If error 12 goes away then re-enable the iGPU. Else consider obtaining Setup 1.30 to resolve error 12. Setup 1.30 can also be used to enable the ASPMS battery life tweak. REF: 2570P battery life tweaks.

Disable your iGPU in Win8.x. Reboot and try again. If error 12 goes away then re-enable the iGPU. Else consider obtaining Setup 1.30 to resolve error 12. Setup 1.30 can also be used to enable the ASPMS battery life tweak. REF: 2570P battery life tweaks.

I was hoping in a plug and play solution :|

@krazyazy ? @Tech Inferno Fan this's my memorypost-18229-14494997771854_thumb.jpg

How good is the longevity of the modded 2570p eGPU setup in terms of performance for gaming? I am thinking about upgrading from my current Thinkpad X220T + 560Ti eGPU as I believe the weaker 2nd gen CPU is the bottleneck for some of the games I play. But I am worried that since the 2570p is a fairly old laptop, and not able to upgrade to 4th gen or further CPU, I may not be able to play newly released games in a few years. I am surprised though that the modded 2570p is still so high up on the leaderboard compared to newer systems. Is purchasing a 2570p + i7 chip + pe4l a good investment to make at this point?

How good is the longevity of the modded 2570p eGPU setup in terms of performance for gaming? I am thinking about upgrading from my current Thinkpad X220T + 560Ti eGPU as I believe the weaker 2nd gen CPU is the bottleneck for some of the games I play. But I am worried that since the 2570p is a fairly old laptop, and not able to upgrade to 4th gen or further CPU, I may not be able to play newly released games in a few years. I am surprised though that the modded 2570p is still so high up on the leaderboard compared to newer systems. Is purchasing a 2570p + i7 chip + pe4l a good investment to make at this point?

I'm in the middle of testing a i7-4800MQ versus my i7-3740QM. Guess which one is faster? The i7-3740QM. It seems that (1) Haswell runs hotter and (2) has the same variation in individual CPU TDP/VID exists that's been seen with for IVB at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432. From that perspective, a 2570P's 45W CPU performance is up there with the latest 47W Haswell CPUs. The 2570P OC ME FW, granting up to 5% more performance via XTU. 45W TDP is pretty much the thermal limit of the 2570P chassis.

By comparison, a Lenovo X220 with the Sandy Bridge 32nm tech is now old technology.

Yes, 2570P is still a great investment to make. It is the last 12.5" quad-core "workstation" to be built with expresscard slot. You'll notice that i7-quad CPUs and expresscard/TB ports are now in premium workstations systems: HP ZBook 15/17, Lenovo W540, 15" Macbook Pro Retina. Manufacturers charging a premium for those exclusive high performance features. A US$400 s/h 2570P a massive bargain with those as stock, but mostly undisclosed features. Highlighting them on a competing, Lenovo-advocating site even getting me banned!

Ok, I have an update, I installed Windows 7 on the 2570p (I was using 8.1 before) and have made some progress. So, this is the situation now:

-HP 2570p, Win8: Nothing works

-HP 2570p, Win7: 650Ti (1gb), 780 (3gb) work, but 750Ti (2gb) does not

-X220, Win8: Everything works

-X220, Win7: Everything works

So, the conclusions to draw so far:

1. The HP 2570p and Windows 8 does not play well with eGPUs (I have tried both UEFI and normal BIOS installs)

1. The HP 2570p doesn't like the 750Ti under windows 7, but this is not a no address space problem as the 3gb 780 works

2. The 750Ti works fine on both Win8 and Win7 on the X220, so it's not that the 750Ti won't work as an eGPU

Quite a confusing bundle.

@rhx123 so the problem is windows 8.1? Does anyone use this system with a gtx card?

@Aikimox @pandaleo @invait53 @paperclip @jacobsson @Uftherr @krazyazy @phillofoc @bjorm @rhx123 @jot23

@rhx123 so the problem is windows 8.1? Does anyone use this system with a gtx card?

@Aikimox @pandaleo @invait53 @paperclip @jacobsson @Uftherr @krazyazy @phillofoc @bjorm @rhx123 @jot23

I'm running 8.1 on my new system (G46VW) but I can't say anything yet til my TB eGPU is complete.

I used win7 for my 2570p.

Fair enough, so the Ivy Bridge architecture is still fairly comparable if not better than Haswell. But what about Intel's 5th gen processors which are coming out later this year? Wouldn't a system using one of those outperform a 2570p which is still using an i7-3xxx with lower power consumption as well? I am just a bit hesitant to purchase a new system when better mobile processors as well as new workstations to utilize the 5th gen Broadwell processors, some of which may be even better for eGPU usage and customization..

Fair enough, so the Ivy Bridge architecture is still fairly comparable if not better than Haswell. But what about Intel's 5th gen processors which are coming out later this year? Wouldn't a system using one of those outperform a 2570p which is still using an i7-3xxx with lower power consumption as well? I am just a bit hesitant to purchase a new system when better mobile processors as well as new workstations to utilize the 5th gen Broadwell processors, some of which may be even better for eGPU usage and customization..

If your main concern is to play newly released games in a few years, you should wait for Maxwell more than for Broadwell.

If your main concern is to play newly released games in a few years, you should wait for Maxwell more than for Broadwell.

I'm not too worried about my GPU falling behind since that is easy to upgrade with the eGPU setup. I may be wrong, but it is much cheaper and easier to replace my GPU than it is to replace an entire laptop, in my opinion.

Sure.. you can chug along with your 'old' X220 and wait for Broadwell. Though why would you when you could probably changeover to the underrepresented 2570P with i7-quad and enjoy a better notebook with over double the performance for not much more than the selling price of your X220? It really is unmatched for bang-per-buck and bang-per-cubic-cm (portability).

Oh.. and Broadwell is a die-shrink 22->14nm of Haswell bringing with it better power consumption. I pretty much found that Haswell CPUs run as hot as the previous SB ones, so the die shrink might see it equalize it with IVB. Nor will a Broadwell business grade notebook with EC/TB port cost the ~$400 a s/h 2570P can be had on ebay. Expect double-triple that during sales, with coupons.

You can get a better eGPU system today. 15" Macbook Pro retina with Iris Pro graphics. Haswell i7-quad, retina LCD, pcie SSD, TB2 port. The cost? $2-$3k + ~$400 for the Sonnet Echo SEL eGPU enclosure. It's also got a significantly larger footprint than a 2570P, though weightwise is not far off the mark.

As mentioned earlier, manufacturers are now marketting thin-and-light, high performance notebooks with TB ports as workstations with premium pricing. Their usual systems without such features earning them upgrade revenue. A product range that nets a profitable win-win for them, not us. 2570P is the last of the line that is still a big win for us. Intel seems to be paying attention to what we've been up to.

Ok, you make a good point about the affordability of these systems. Guess I will upgrade to a 2570p setup for my eGPU with the 560Ti from my previous setup. Just to make sure, this should be a plug and play eGPU setup right (the first post says 560 is plug and play but doesn't mention 560ti)? Also, something like this i7-3740qm for sale on ebay (CPU Processor 3rd Gen 2 7GHz 6MB SR0UV Socket G2 Ntel Core i7 3740QM Mobile | eBay) would fit into the cpu socket for the 2570p, correct? Will the fact that it is used processor make it a bad idea for me to try to overclock the ME FW? Since this is supposed to cause CPU instability in the long run.

Already ordered a PE4L 2.1b from bplus so now I just need to buy a 2570p as well as a new CPU. Probably not going to buy an SSD yet unless I decide that I need it.

Ok, you make a good point about the affordability of these systems. Guess I will upgrade to a 2570p setup for my eGPU with the 560Ti from my previous setup. Just to make sure, this should be a plug and play eGPU setup right (the first post says 560 is plug and play but doesn't mention 560ti)? Also, something like this i7-3740qm for sale on ebay (CPU Processor 3rd Gen 2 7GHz 6MB SR0UV Socket G2 Ntel Core i7 3740QM Mobile | eBay) would fit into the cpu socket for the 2570p, correct? Will the fact that it is used processor make it a bad idea for me to try to overclock the ME FW? Since this is supposed to cause CPU instability in the long run.

Already ordered a PE4L 2.1b from bplus so now I just need to buy a 2570p as well as a new CPU. Probably not going to buy an SSD yet unless I decide that I need it.

2570P is a bargain because for the most part it was underrepresented against a Lenovo X230 during it's launch and it's peak marketting (2012-2013). Reviewers also didn't explore it's full performance potential. It's only if a user stumbles upon this thread that they can find a feature set that differs to other ultraportables (CPU upgradability, RAID-0, expresscard slot). As mentioned, a competing Lenovo-centric forum even banned me for highlighting the CPU upgradability.

GTX560Ti is PnP on a 2570P with Win7. Win8 doesn't play so friendly so might need the Setup 1.x software to perform PCI compaction to eradicate error 12.

The high end i7-quads are all going to be 45W TDP limited to x35 or lower 4-core multiplier, which is pretty much the peak of what the 2570P cooling system can handle. It then leaves the following CPUs as the best buys; their max 4C TS-bench test in brackets: i7-3740QM (x35-x33, mostly x34), i7-3720QM (I informal report of x32), i7-3630QM (most x32, though some only do x31), i7-3610QM (x31).

All of these i7-quads are quick, just depends on how much you want to pay for an extra 10% peak performance difference between the i7-3610QM and i7-3740QM. Lower overall power consumption also favors the i7-37xxQM CPUs; something to consider if wanting to max battery life. Though I'll say that combining a power efficient SSD (eg: Samsung) with a lower end i7-quad CPU will have a far greater impact on battery life than a more efficient higher-end i7-quad + HDD.

REF: INFO: How to choose the most efficient 45W i7-quad

Hi guys!

I have some spare mod parts left if someone is interested.

[sold] re-enforced heatsink and heat pipe

[sold] bottom cover with holes drilled for better fan air intake

• HDD caddy with 2570p original faceplate (for a second hdd/ssd)

Genuine HP 90W Slim travel charger <-- Very awesome

• Extra fan + heatsink

PM me if you're interested!

Hi guys,

Ran into a pretty large problem today. I hope someone here can help me, since I feel my 2570p is bricked... This is what happened:

Was trying to get my eGPU (GTX760) working on my 2570p via EC while running Windows 8.1 (Bad choise I guess). Hot plugged it, Windows recognised it and installed nVidia drivers, got Error 12. Did a DSDT override, but didn't had time to test the GTX760 since I wasn't home. Meanwhile I also got Setup 1.x for battery improvements and goofing around with the eGPU.

After I installed Setup 1.x, I rebooted my computer. That's when the trouble started. Bios claimed that there was no OS on my SSD, so I was like WTF and did some random BIOS setting changes. After a few reboots, I got into the menu where I had to chose between W8.1 or Setup 1.x so I chose W8.1 and everything booted fine. Even after a reboot it was like nothing happened. When I got home I attached my GTX760 to the laptop while I was in Windows to see if it worked. The device was not recognised since I uninstalled the drivers to follow a guide on the eGPU. So I tried to install the drivers, but those failed. I decided to do a reboot while the eGPU was plugged in (worse decision ever).

When the laptop booted I got a black screen, so I thougt the video output went via the eGPU so i disconnected the GTX760. After that there was still a black sreen so I did a reboot. After the reboot BIOS again said that there was no bootable OS installed on my SSD. Again, after a few random BIOS setting changes and a few reboot I again got to the menu where I had to choose between Windows 8.1 or Setup 1.x. Chose 1.x to see if I could do some changes to the eGPU settings. At this time the eGPU was disconnected, so I plugged it in while in Setup 1.x in the hope that Setup 1.x would recognise it, but unfortunatly it didn't. So I thougt a reboot would fix it...

Rebooted with the eGPU plugged in and again a black screen... Unplugged eGPU and rebooted. Again BIOS said that there was no bootable image. This message still shows today :(. It feels like BIOS doesn't see my SSD anymore. I hooked the SSD up to another computer to format it and try a fresh install of Windows 7, but the installation CD freezes at the Windows logo. Tried 2 Dvd's, both froze. I have a feeling that my BIOS is bricked and needs a hard reset, but I haven't found a way to do.

Does anyone of you have experience with this issue or do you know how to resolve this?

Kind regards,

Jevon

PS Please help me, I am desperate!

Hi guys,

Ran into a pretty large problem today. I hope someone here can help me, since I feel my 2570p is bricked... This is what happened:

Was trying to get my eGPU (GTX760) working on my 2570p via EC while running Windows 8.1 (Bad choise I guess). Hot plugged it, Windows recognised it and installed nVidia drivers, got Error 12. Did a DSDT override, but didn't had time to test the GTX760 since I wasn't home. Meanwhile I also got Setup 1.x for battery improvements and goofing around with the eGPU.

After I installed Setup 1.x, I rebooted my computer. That's when the trouble started. Bios claimed that there was no OS on my SSD, so I was like WTF and did some random BIOS setting changes. After a few reboots, I got into the menu where I had to chose between W8.1 or Setup 1.x so I chose W8.1 and everything booted fine. Even after a reboot it was like nothing happened. When I got home I attached my GTX760 to the laptop while I was in Windows to see if it worked. The device was not recognised since I uninstalled the drivers to follow a guide on the eGPU. So I tried to install the drivers, but those failed. I decided to do a reboot while the eGPU was plugged in (worse decision ever).

When the laptop booted I got a black screen, so I thougt the video output went via the eGPU so i disconnected the GTX760. After that there was still a black sreen so I did a reboot. After the reboot BIOS again said that there was no bootable OS installed on my SSD. Again, after a few random BIOS setting changes and a few reboot I again got to the menu where I had to choose between Windows 8.1 or Setup 1.x. Chose 1.x to see if I could do some changes to the eGPU settings. At this time the eGPU was disconnected, so I plugged it in while in Setup 1.x in the hope that Setup 1.x would recognise it, but unfortunatly it didn't. So I thougt a reboot would fix it...

Rebooted with the eGPU plugged in and again a black screen... Unplugged eGPU and rebooted. Again BIOS said that there was no bootable image. This message still shows today :(. It feels like BIOS doesn't see my SSD anymore. I hooked the SSD up to another computer to format it and try a fresh install of Windows 7, but the installation CD freezes at the Windows logo. Tried 2 Dvd's, both froze. I have a feeling that my BIOS is bricked and needs a hard reset, but I haven't found a way to do.

Does anyone of you have experience with this issue or do you know how to resolve this?

Kind regards,

Jevon

I know the 'bootable' message you are referring to. Can you try loading the OS onto your 1TB HDD instead of the SSD and try booting from that instead? Sounds like your SSD is playing funny buggers with the system. Could also try loading Win7 from a USB stick instead of a DVD. Something you may need to do if your 1TB HDD is in an optical bay caddy.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tech Inferno Fan as promise:

Here's the data from my unlucky 3720QM.

x12

12,0W

x23

20.2W

x24

21,4W

x25

22,7W

x26

23,9W

x27

25,3W

x28

27,2W

x29

29,0W

x30

31,0W

x31

33,5W

x32

35,9W

x33

XXXXX > x32

x34

XXXXX > x32

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys,

Kind regards,

Jevon

@Jefferson92 it's maybe the "initializing and estabilishing link" message?