Seems like the 3740QM/3840QM seller I saw took out his cheap items a week after posting it.

Smelled kinda fishy that he was selling at half the price of the cheapest 3740QM I could find on eBay. Guess I'll settle for a 3740QM then.

Question on RAM (since the discussion on the Page 50+ left me hanging):

Is 8gb DDR3 (Dual Channel 2x4Gb) at 1600Mhz the ideal maxed out RAM for the 2570p?

If so, why is it that there are some users with 16Gb RAM and some trying the 1866Mhz?

I'm hoping to use the excess RAM to run a ramdisk as browser cache so I don't know if I should go 16Gb.

Seems like the 3740QM/3840QM seller I saw took out his cheap items a week after posting it.

Smelled kinda fishy that he was selling at half the price of the cheapest 3740QM I could find on eBay. Guess I'll settle for a 3740QM then.

Question on RAM (since the discussion on the Page 50+ left me hanging):

Is 8gb DDR3 (Dual Channel 2x4Gb) at 1600Mhz the ideal maxed out RAM for the 2570p?

If so, why is it that there are some users with 16Gb RAM and some trying the 1866Mhz?

I'm hoping to use the excess RAM to run a ramdisk as browser cache so I don't know if I should go 16Gb.

1. 16GB ram works great! I use 1600MHz LoVo kingston RAM

2. The attempts using 1866MHz RAM showed no benefit over 1600MHz, even worse if I remember correctly.

Hi fellow Elitebook owners.

I just wanted to share a bug-fix for those (like me) that might have been wondering why in the hell you can't adjust your screen brightness on your Elitebook?

1. Device manager

2. Monitors

3. Uninstall 'Generic PnP monitor'

4. The monitor will re-installed automatically

5. Enjoy manual screen brightness again

• Thumbs Up 3

1. 16GB ram works great! I use 1600MHz LoVo kingston RAM

2. The attempts using 1866MHz RAM showed no benefit over 1600MHz, even worse if I remember correctly.

Great, I was hoping on getting a Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz.

Is the 1.5V really a huge difference in power consumption compared to the 1.35V RAM?

I feel like a douche when saying that I haven't tested the difference :(

My gut feeling says you wouldn't notice a big difference (got mine for cheap). The vengeance has always served me good in earlier systems!

Edit: you know what, I might be wrong: http://www.servethehome.com/testing-power-savings-low-voltage-135v-kingston-memory-intel-avoton/

I bought the 3840QM from him and after it was allegedly shipped, I got an email from AliExpress saying the seller was failing to provide proof of shipping and that I've been refunded.

• Thumbs Up 2

I bought the 3840QM from him and after it was allegedly shipped, I got an email from AliExpress saying the seller was failing to provide proof of shipping and that I've been refunded.

Yep, there certainly are some shady mo-fo's out there!

Aliexpress has some good policies now a days, I've never been scammed out of my money once.

Hi fellow Elitebook owners.

I just wanted to share a bug-fix for those (like me) that might have been wondering why in the hell you can't adjust your screen brightness on your Elitebook?

1. Device manager

2. Monitors

3. Uninstall 'Generic PnP monitor'

4. The monitor will re-installed automatically

5. Enjoy manual screen brightness again

This actually applies to all (probably) laptops with this bug. I've had to do this on the Fujitsu T901 and my AW m14xR2. Not sure why the bug shows up, but this is certainly the quick and easy method of fixing it. It was driving me nuts the first time this bug popped up. ;D

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tech Inferno Fan, I made a Simplified Youtube tutorial on installing an eGPU. My buddies wanted a KISS tutorial so that's the best I could manage for now. Fixed the adapter name already.

Question, if I'm going to use the EXP GDC V6, is it more advisable to underclock a GTX 770 than to overclock a GTX 670? If yes, would a GTX 780ti underclock be better than GTX 770?

Also, is the BCM4352 much better than the 3160HMW? The 3160 is around half the price of Broadcom.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tech Inferno Fan, I made a Simplified Youtube tutorial on installing an eGPU. My buddies wanted a KISS tutorial so that's the best I could manage for now. Fixed the adapter name already.

Question, if I'm going to use the EXP GDC V6, is it more advisable to underclock a GTX 770 than to overclock a GTX 670? If yes, would a GTX 780ti underclock be better than GTX 770?

Also, is the BCM4352 much better than the 3160HMW? The 3160 is around half the price of Broadcom.

Youtube vid is great. Brings to life how easy it is to get it all going. In case other 2570P owners want to see it, its on the opening post of this thread and duplicated below:

Above: simplified HP 2570P eGPU installation process instructions courtesy of T|U user badbadbad

Only suggestion I can make is (1) add HP 2570P and GTX460 to the video title and (2) post the the 2570P Owner's thread and the DIY eGPU forum links with the vid text:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/
http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html

The Intel 802.1AC card will be fine. I had a Intel 7260AC and replaced it with a BCM4352 because (1) there were driver issues relating to the 2.4Ghz band that have since been corrected and (2) I stumbled upon a BCM4352 on aliexpress that cost less than a 7260AC and (3) the BCM4352 is supported in OSX where the Intel cards are not, not that I've played with Hackintosh.

If using a EXP GDC with 220W AC adapter then the two choices to consider within that power budget for best performance are:

1. a GTX680 (195W TDP), that can be overclocked

2. a GTX770 (229W TDP), that may need to be underclocked, or hope the 220W adapter can supply a bit more than rated.

A GTX680 and GTX770 have the same 1536 CUDA cores it's just that the GTX770 runs faster clocks for the GPU and RAM. I wouldn't get a GTX780Ti for this application. They are rated at 250W and command top dollar for top performance. A ASUS GTX670 or ASUS/MSI 760 mini ITX is worth considering if want a tiny card for portability though they have 1344 CUDA cores, 12.5% less than GTX680/770.

Can you also add your system config + eGPU details to your signature? Makes it easier to respond to enquiries when I know what hardware you have at hand.

Thanks for the feedback. The idea of the tutorial was to make eGPU newbies aware of how simple the eGPU setup can be for a Series 6/7 chipset with at least a GTX460 GPU.

Added a few annotations on the Youtube page so that the viewers can be further guided.

At the moment, everything on my 2570p is stock, since I've recently migrated from my old T400 + GTX460 eGPU.

Will update my sig as soon as I receive my purchased upgrades.

EDIT:

@jacobsson, I've also been thinking about the mini GTX670 for my portable eGPU setup. I'm just curious if a mini GTX670 can sustain smooth 1080p gameplay as I'm planning to test out my rig on the Oculus Rift soon as it is commercially available.

• Thumbs Up 2

Either the DK2 or the consumer version when it's out. Just want to know if the portable eGPU can handle 1080p resolution gaming or if it will see a bottleneck.

Meaning 1080P per eye = 2K?

Hmm, that might be too much for a x1 link :S

Hi there, everyone!

I want to share my Intel 4000 HD's driver finding for our laptops!

So, if you are a Windows 7 user (as I am), but want to use the latest Intel HD's drivers you should download the version for Windows 8.1 OS and install this driver pack as usual!

As a result you will update your graphics card's drivers to the latest available for HP 2570p: 10.18.10.3262 (used to be 9.xxxxx)...

Here is the shortlink: Drivers, Software and Firmware for HP EliteBook 2570p Notebook PC - HP Support Center

I was able to get additional 0,5 point to my Windows Experience Index (got increased up to 6,3 from 5,8).

Hope this will help somebody!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm starting to think that this laptop is not meant to be equipped with a quad core because the fan sucks too much juice from the battery to cool the core.

Set your CPU max performance to 99% when on battery. That disables turbo boost significantly lowering power consumption and fan engagement. Quad-core works great in my system as if it was meant to be there from the factory.

Hi guys!

I'm looking to offload my system for another.

This might be a stupid place to announce my sale since you guys probably already own this notebook =)

But you miiight be interested in the spare mod parts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway; my system will be sold as stock configuration:

CPU: i5 3520M

Memory: 4GB (one slot empty)

HDD: 500GB @7200RPM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extra parts I used for "modding" (I did keep my original part mint):

1. 1 x backplate with drilled air holes at the fan location
  2. 1 x 2.5" HDD caddy with 2570P faceplate
  3. 1 x set of heatsink + fan (untouched)
  4. 1 x set of Heatsink + fan, with copper coins added to the pipe
  5. 1 x Easy attachable copper shim for extra heat absorption (between CPU and heatsink)
  6. 1 x original HP slim 90W travel adapter (this one is pretty expensive)
  7. 1 x original 65W charger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give me an offer and I try my best to make a deal for you!

EDIT: I will take some pictures of the extra parts when I've restored my system to mint.