I had a 8470P for a little bit. Nice machine but was noticably heavier than a 2570P and larger too. The only benefits were the 900P LCD, bigger heatsink and fan resulting in better cooling and a dedicate pgup/pgdn key. mSATA I'm not sure about. Besides it's designed to be a cache drive rather than a boot drive if it did work. eDP I very much doubt.

I'd suggest you look at a 14" Dell E6440 instead. A lighter/thinner Haswell machine with a socketted CPU. *some* have an expresscard slot too. 900P is an option. If it uses eDP then there's potential to install a 1080P 14" LCD too. Has a HD8690M dGPU option too. no mSATA though. Only problem is it will be pricier than a 8470P.

The size / weight doesn't bother me much. I used to carry a 17" brick around before I got the T901 and the m14xR2.

I was talkin with @svl7 and he said the 8570P (at least the one he used) had a 1080P display, so that's pretty attractive. Potential for RGB IPS display too apparently.

I use a mSATA drive for my downloads folder lol..... it's not overly critical, just neat to have.

The E6440 is about 200$ more than the 8470P, so that's a bit much for me. I'm going to be firm on the 500$ max to leave money for new GPU and PSU for desktop.

Apart from screen, any other advantage with the 8570P over the 8470P? The price can exceed the 500$ limit so that might not happen regardless.

---

Any large critical difference that I'm missing apart from size/weight between the 2570P and the 8470P? Don't worry, I'm not bashing the 2570P at all, it's just 12" is a bit too small for me. Not sure if you've seen my desktop setup, but I love my screen real-estate ;D

The size / weight doesn't bother me much. I used to carry a 17" brick around before I got the T901 and the m14xR2.

I was talkin with @svl7 and he said the 8570P (at least the one he used) had a 1080P display, so that's pretty attractive. Potential for RGB IPS display too apparently.

I use a mSATA drive for my downloads folder lol..... it's not overly critical, just neat to have.

The E6440 is about 200$ more than the 8470P, so that's a bit much for me. I'm going to be firm on the 500$ max to leave money for new GPU and PSU for desktop.

Apart from screen, any other advantage with the 8570P over the 8470P? The price can exceed the 500$ limit so that might not happen regardless.

---

Any large critical difference that I'm missing apart from size/weight between the 2570P and the 8470P? Don't worry, I'm not bashing the 2570P at all, it's just 12" is a bit too small for me. Not sure if you've seen my desktop setup, but I love my screen real-estate ;D

Think you'll find those 8570P with RGB IPS are only available on the dGPU model. Unfortunately the SB/IVB Elitebooks with dGPUs have no switchable graphics. Those suck for battery life and for x1.2Opt eGPU purposes. Would suggest you look at the Latitudes instead if want a high quality 15" 1080P LCD + switchable dGPU option.

8470P gives you 2570P features plus more as outlined in my last post. I almost switched to a 8470P, mainly for the 900P LCD. Though decided that a 2570P was lighter and less bulky, friendlier for cycle commuting or kicking around and having a 1080P 23" eGPU-connected LCD made the 900P internal LCD mostly insignificant.

Incidentally, these Elitebooks have a eSATAp port. Means can attach a SSD/HDD off them via a single-cable solution easily for downloading. See jacobsson's eSATAp writeup on how to do it.

14" Dell E6440: an upgrade candidate to a 2570P

Only system I'd contemplate upgrading to would be a 14" Dell E6440, since they are nearly the same weight as a 2570P, get a socketted Haswell CPU, a 900P LVDS LCD, a HD8690M dGPU option and are possibly x2 2.0 eGPU capable (with a lot of hacking). Though would it be worth shelling out for something with worse build quality, looks, mouse/trackpoint and pricier i7-quad upgrade? For now no but if a bargain E6440 comes along I might reconsider.

• Thumbs Up 1

Congrats on moving onto what I consider a vastly better piece of gear than the X230/X220 system. I can see you have already explored some of it's performance potential. I've listed your system details, as provided on the first post of this thread against.

Yes, I'm certainly much more impressed with the build quality, I think lenovo have dropped the ball since my T61, which felt rather bulletproof back in the day.

I noticed the storage info is missing, I am using LiteOn LCT-256M3S 256GB SSD, with normal ODD. Also you'll have to change it again soon, as I have a 3840QM on the way, along with eSATAp adapter.

It's nice to have such a helpful and welcoming community too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would do - if I could get the damn thing to actually work. I keep getting Error 12, do I need to use the DIY setup 1.x? I have the GDC EXP and find that the computer will only boot with the switch to the left - the eGPU+adapter is working fine on the X220 though.

650Ti does just the same thing, and I tested both cards in my X220 and that works fine.

Ok so the EXP GDC works for the x220, so no problem there. Have you tested uninstalling the adapter in device manager, also uninstall (and delete) the expresscard port drivers for port2? This will give you a fresh install. Before doing all this, test to give the EC a light press and hold it to see that it's inserted all the way.

Tried that to no avail. I noticed when GPU was uninstalled, this was what was shown in device manager:

Seems to imply the eGPU isn't getting detected until after POST or something.

post-10650-14494997513678_thumb.png

Well, that sucks! I can only come up with one thing that you could try (that worked for me on other systems).

As you probably know when plugging the EC in your notebook the EXP GDC 'shortens' two pins from the Dell adapter (Remote + GND), this tells the adapter to power on 12v rails.

In some eGPU systems this power on signal needs to be done before inserting the EC.

You could easily do this 'mod' with a wire, jumping the two upper right pins of EXP GDC (which corresponds to pin 5 and pin 6 of the dell connector). You could first test this on the dell connector it self by jumping these two pins and see that the light turns green (before doing it on the EXP GDC itself).

post-6049-14494997514143_thumb.jpg

Now you'll will see that the GPU will power up directly when inserting the power cord. Now insert the EC and see if this helps!

Source for pinout: DELL D220P-01 DA-2 Series AC Adapter 12VDC 18A 220W 8Pin externa DELL D220P-01 DA-2 Series AC Adapter 12VDC 18A 220W 8Pin external Power Surrply SX280 GX620 USFF ( Ultra small form factor ) D3860 DA-2 Series,Y2515, D3860, MK394, N112H, D220P-01, M881

Ok, I have an update, I installed Windows 7 on the 2570p (I was using 8.1 before) and have made some progress. So, this is the situation now:

-HP 2570p, Win8: Nothing works

-HP 2570p, Win7: 650Ti (1gb), 780 (3gb) work, but 750Ti (2gb) does not

-X220, Win8: Everything works

-X220, Win7: Everything works

So, the conclusions to draw so far:

1. The HP 2570p and Windows 8 does not play well with eGPUs (I have tried both UEFI and normal BIOS installs)

1. The HP 2570p doesn't like the 750Ti under windows 7, but this is not a no address space problem as the 3gb 780 works

2. The 750Ti works fine on both Win8 and Win7 on the X220, so it's not that the 750Ti won't work as an eGPU

Quite a confusing bundle.

Notebook FanControl - an alternative to TPFancontrol for the 2570P

Found another fan control utility for our 2570P with a nicer configuration interface than TPFancontrol. The software is called Notebook FanControl and is available as a free download at: [Vorstellung] NoteBook FanControl (NBFC) - ComputerBase Forum. Can set 2.5% (2825 rpm)-100% (5120 rpm) manual fan control or temperature-based rules. Nice. Though because there isn't a 2570P configuration item I use a HP 8560P or ZBook 15 instead.

• Thumbs Up 3

Notebook FanControl - an alternative to TPFancontrol for the 2570P

Found another fan control utility for our 2570P with a nicer configuration interface than TPFancontrol. The software is called Notebook FanControl and is available as a free download at: [Vorstellung] NoteBook FanControl (NBFC) - ComputerBase Forum. Can set 2.5% (2825 rpm)-100% (5120 rpm) manual fan control or temperature-based rules. Nice. Though because there isn't a 2570P configuration item I use a HP 8560P or ZBook 15 instead.

Wow, this is a great find!

Old TpFanControl was either auto or 100%. I really like this one much better.

Just had a weird problem with my 2570. It was working perfectly, I turned it off, put it in my bag, and when I took it out again the keyboard has totally stopped working. It's still detected in device manager, but doesn't seem to work at all. The trackpoint still works so it seems like the cable is still ok.

Any ideas what could have happened?

Edit:

Well that was weird, I reset the BIOS and it sorted it. How odd.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I forgot that HP ME FW is a PITA (8 ICC profiles). Been putting it off. Sorry.

Maybe you could make some tutorial for modding the ME especially for 2570P?

I have no idea how hard this is, so don't take this the wrong way!

I'm thinking that this is very time consuming for you and if you decide to quit modding these we're totally out of luck.

EDIT: for instance make a screen record of when you work at sskillz's ME