can you check if You have more hotter right bottom side of 2570p more than left one? in my opinion right side in my 2570p is more hot tahn 2C difference as mentioned in review. I speak abou i5 idle situation.

67a5.png

can you check if You have more hotter right bottom side of 2570p more than left one? in my opinion right side in my 2570p is more hot tahn 2C difference as mentioned in review. I speak abou i5 idle situation.

67a5.png

Yes, right side is where the scorching hot heatsink attaches to the chassis. Heat then dissipates from right to left.

Other candidate heatsink/fans for the 2570P to improve heat dissipation?

I was alerted to another nugget by secret Santa St. Niclas. Check these out:

$T2eC16F,!ykE9s7tw!yVBQLOlf%29oHg~~60_12.JPG

Above: HP nc8430/nw8440 heatsink+fan. Notice the amount of copper plus the fan is a heatsink too. From HP Compaq NC8430 Heatsink and Fan 416408 001416409 001 416410 001 | eBay

Yes, right side is where the scorching hot heatsink attaches to the chassis. Heat then dissipates from right to left.

It's on its way to me now =)

I expect some hacking and slashing to make it fit, if it succeeds it will help moving that heat more efficient!

• Thumbs Up 1

Above: HP nc8430 heatsink+fan. Notice the amount of copper plus the fan is a heatsink too. From HP Compaq NC8430 Heatsink and Fan 416408 001416409 001 416410 001 | eBay

Above: HP 6910P heatsink+fan: HP Compaq 6910p CPU Cooling Heatsink 446447 001 AT00Q000100 | eBay

I've never seen a copper fan housing like that before. it makes sense though. Maybe I'll try making one out of copper flashing for my CPU fan. Doing just the top plate doesn't look bad, but doing the whole thing will require brazing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Today fan died completly :) but I tried to run whole 3dm11 with i5, GTX770 and not working fan :D

Tj was close: P

comparison with the i5, under the same conditions as the test today, where bottom was drilled and the raised rear hatch. original cooling.

do not be fooled by 960rpm on the chart, it means that the fan is not working and does not perform any movement.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3230M Processor,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

hv5c.png

Today fan died completly :) but I tried to run whole 3dm11 with i5, GTX770 and not working fan :D

Tj was close: P

Wow, 5 min of high load and no Tj-temp, that's not so bad!

Your Graphics score is very good, it beats my GTX670 with ~1100 points.

Wow, 5 min of high load and no Tj-temp, that's not so bad!

Your Graphics score is very good, it beats my GTX670 with ~1100 points.

no, no as You can see, CPU in 3dm11 is loaded only in Physics test and Combined test ;)

With good OC I dream to reach 9,5k points GS ore maybe ... 10k? :P

after replace my mainboard, I ll do some benchmarks vs GTX760/670/680 ;)

no, no as You can see, CPU in 3dm11 is loaded only in Physics test and Combined test ;)

With good OC I dream to reach 9,5k points GS ore maybe ... 10k? :P

after replace my mainboard, I ll do some benchmarks vs GTX760/670/680 ;)

Damn you're officially the forums #1 graphics card hoarder from now =)

So do you suspect that it was the fan mod that caused the damage of your mobo?

Damn you're officially the forums #1 graphics card hoarder from now =)

So do you suspect that it was the fan mod that caused the damage of your mobo?

i'm trying to do my best man ;)

modded fan? maybe but idont think so, before i got problems with fan, i tried to hotplug usb printer cable and printer wasn't grounded, on USB port appeared spark even and day after this i got fan problems.

i'm trying to do my best man ;)

modded fan? maybe but idont think so, before i got problems with fan, i tried to hotplug usb printer cable and printer wasn't grounded, on USB port appeared spark even and day after this i got fan problems.

Oh ok that sucks!

Do HP cover the repair?

Oh ok that sucks!

Do HP cover the repair?

for sure, service man came to me week ago but during tests there was no error! dissapeared! and we decided to not swap MB, we assumed if error would occur I will call him and then we swap it without testing, tomorrow it should be done :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey all, I've been running a RAMdisk to reduce the wear on my SSD and power consumption of my HDD. My inspiration originally came from this website, but some of the instructions were overly complicated and didn't play well with the only free ramdisk software I could find. I haven't noticed much of a power savings with my SSD+HDD setup, but I would suspect that people with only a HDD would see more (but small) power savings when compared to a SSD only system while browsing due to the shifting of cache and plugins to RAM. If someone tries this on a Win8 computer, please let me know if it's different!

PROS

• Decreased wear on SSD
  • Reduced noise/power consumption from HDD
  • Increased browser performance

CONS

• Need to load entire ramdisk on system startup, shutdown, and hibernate. Compression helps with this.
  • Can use 1 Gb or more of RAM
  • Can lose history/settings/tabs/any changes between RAMdisk saves to drive.
  • RAMdisk issues = browser profile issues
  • Extra setup effort

Now to the guide

1. Download/install RAMdisk software. I use SoftPerfect RAM Disk because it's free, allows periodic backups on top of backing up on program shutdown, and doesn't have size restrictions.

2. Open the program

3. Make a new image. Image-->Create Image... I use 1024mb for the size, Hard Drive image type, and use NTFS. Save wherever you want.

4. Mount the image. You can choose to load it during boot or login. If you’re having issues with getting hung up on the shutdown screen, choose the other one. Load your image and it should autofill the size. I used the following flags:

Mount as Removable – Keeps Windows from Indexing the drive. I use this.

Hard Disk Emulation – Sometimes Windows requires this to make it behave. Also makes it show up in Disk Manager. I leave this disabled.

Save Contents to Image – Enables the feature. Click on Advanced to configure the frequency of saving to image. I use 120 minutes.

Drive letter – I use W, it’s far enough away from the normal drive letters that I regularly use.

5. Configure browser to use RAMDisk

Firefox

a. Close Firefox

b. Go to “C: \users\*login name*\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla” folder

c. Copy everything to RAMdisk

d. press the windows key, type in “firefox -p" without the quotes

e. Click Create Profile, then Next, then Choose Folder. Go to your RAMdisk, open the “Profile” folder, then double-click on your profile. It should look something like “p59adyr3.Default User.” Click Finish

f. Open Firefox normally

g. type “about:cache” in the address bar

h. Your cache disk and offline cache should now be on your RAMdisk

IE

a. Open Internet Options

b. On the “General” tab, click “Settings” under Browsing History

c. On the “Temporary Internet Files” section, click “Move Folder” and make a new folder on your RAMdisk.

For Chrome, you’re on your own. I’ve seen it on other pages I’ve referenced for this type of setup.

Notes

•  The best way to make changes on your RAMdisk after setting it up is after a fresh restart. The software is very finicky. I find that changing settings will regularly freeze the application, most likely due to the application waiting for open handles to the disk to close.
  •  With the image stored on my HDD, it stopped spinning down to save power. With a mixed SSD+HDD setup, saving the image on the HDD may eliminate power savings. On a HDD only system, the reduced read/writes would probably save power
  •  I hide the RAMdisk from myself in “My Computer” and Explorer. This requires a registry hack.
  •  I would not try this on a system with less than 8GB of RAM. I installed 16GB so I could run this RAMdisk, disable hibernation, and turn off the page file to help preserve the SSD.
  •  With a big enough RAMdisk and loading the image at boot, you could realistically use a RAMdisk for Windows Temp files as well. I have read that Windows Update will store stuff in the Windows Temp files that needs to get installed after a restart. I haven’t done this yet, but will.
  •  Consider using NTFS file compression on your image file.
  • The actual RAMdrive is a driver, so your “System” process may use more CPU time. Rarely uses over 1% for me.
  • Thumbs Up 1

INFO: Inexpensive rebadged Samsung 840 Pro SSD: Dell OEM Samsung SM841 - MZ-7PD256D

Acquired an inexpensive, but very good rebadged Samsung 840 Pro SSD. From http://forum.techinferno.com/desktop-storage/1031-official-ssd-benchmarking-thread-5.html#post82164:

256GB Samsung SM841 (MZ-7PD256D) benchmarks: after secure erasing drive and applying tweaks at Dozty | How to Improve SSD Performance, disabling C1E and setting highest multiplier with EIST disabled using Throttlestop:

gJkn9qe.jpg

Pros

- can be had for considerably lower $$ on ebay than a Samsung 840 Pro but delivers similar performance as shown here

- very low power consumption drive -> improve notebook battery life over other SSDs/HDDs

- massive improvement in boot times and system responsiveness over a HDD

- quietens system as has no HDD spin noise

Cons

- Samsung Magician will not recognize the drive -> does not work

- Samsung 840 Pro firmware cannot be installed on drive and there are no Dell updates that I can find

Lowest idle power consumption I'm seeing now with the SSD after applying the 2570P battery life tweaks is 5.1W as shown below. Note: disregard the battery life estimates. This was after clearing the Batterybar profile and letting the system sit idle so was pretty much idle power consumption.

Changing from a HDD to this SSD adding 1-1.5hrs extra battery life to my (now) 55Whr 6-cell when doing basic wifi websurfing.

y9xi7n2.png

• Thumbs Up 2

If anyone's thinking about ordering a QM for their 2570p, you might want to do it soon...

"Furthermore, on [August 22, 2014] Intel will retire Core i7-3940XM Extreme Edition, and boxed and tray versions of Core i7-3840QM and i7-3740QM CPUs"

Source: Intel discontinues Bay Trail and mobile Core i7 CPUs

I imagine that the supply will be good for a while, but prices might start to go up after then.

• Thumbs Up 2

Which is a better 802.11AC upgrade? Broadcom BCM4352 or Intel 7260?

Based on the previous gen testing, the Broadcom gives better performance as summarized at 4:00min mark of vid:

. In addition, the BCM4352 has better driver coverage: MacOSX, Windows and Linux. Intel has no MacOSX driver and has had dropout/connectivity/performance issues with the 2.4Ghz band.

Furthermore, a MBA with it's BCM4360 (3-wire version) gets far lower power consumption that a Lenovo X240 using a Intel 7260:

MBA wifi test - 10:23 / 50Wh (4.81W average)

X240 wifi test - 7:56 / 48Wh (6.05W average)

The BCM4352 is available as a Azurewave AW-CE123H, Lenovo FRU-03T7135, Dell 1550, HP 724935-005 or 724743-801.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello,

sorry for not adding anything to the great discussion but I'm now a proud owner of this machine after considering if x230 would serve me better (which is no because of the location of the ethernet port, it's beside the mouse). Anyway, I just want to say that the keyboard feel is a bit "meh" compared to the two Thinkpads that I've tried and even my old S250 IdeaPad. I think it's mushy and there's not enough feedback. A little bit weird because, as far as I know, no review mentions about it (or the lack of it).

Hello,

sorry for not adding anything to the great discussion but I'm now a proud owner of this machine after considering if x230 would serve me better (which is no because of the location of the ethernet port, it's beside the mouse). Anyway, I just want to say that the keyboard feel is a bit "meh" compared to the two Thinkpads that I've tried and even my old S250 IdeaPad. I think it's mushy and there's not enough feedback. A little bit weird because, as far as I know, no review mentions about it (or the lack of it).

Welcome to T|I and congratulations on your 2570P acquisition. Imho a far superior piece of gear to a X230 in terms of build quality and performance potential. It now rightfully out-ranks the X230 at http://www.notebookreview.com/best_laptops/, as it should have always been.

I have no problems with my keyboard.. certainly not mushy and feels far nicer to type on than any of the older Thinkpads I've used previously (T61, X201). Perhaps see if you can test on another 2560P/2570P to ensure yours isn't a dud, even asking HP to send you another under warranty if need be?

Welcome to T|I and congratulations on your 2570P acquisition. Imho a far superior piece of gear to a X230 in terms of build quality and performance potential. It now rightfully out-ranks the X230 at Best Laptops - The Top 50 Most Popular Notebook Computers, as it should have always been.

I have no problems with my keyboard.. certainly not mushy and feels far nicer to type on than any of the older Thinkpads I've used previously (T61, X201). Perhaps see if you can test on another 2560P/2570P to ensure yours isn't a dud, even asking HP to send you another under warranty if need be?

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

Yeah the CPU (quad) upgrade capability of 2570p is what attracted me the most. Regarding the keyboard, I don't think I can get my hands on another 2570/60p for me to test. I'm pretty sure though that mine is original because when I check under warranty on the HP Support Assistant program, it acknowledges my machine. I can't pinpoint what's lacking on the keyboard, but I swear it was better on the two Thinkpads that I've tested (actually you've got me doubt myself - I've to compare it next time with my friends TP).

Hi guys!

Have you ever used USB3 devices such as hdd etc?

I mostly get the message "this device can perform faster..." and file transfers are really slow (USB2-speeds).

This is regardless if connect a USB2 or 3 port.

Also what drivers are you using?

Thanks!