On a different note (and still showing the flexibility of these little units)...

A few weeks ago over on TonyMacx86's site, user Tyraenor reported getting a fully running version of OS 10.8.5 (minus WiFi) on a 2570p.

Note it may be possible to get the WiFi working by swapping in an OSX compatible WiFi card - not sure if anyone's tried that yet (or if there would be whitelist issues). I assume you could just use one of those tiny USB WiFi dongles instead of going through that hassle.

Again, if there's any interest in Hackintoshs here - this is pretty exciting news. Thought I'd mention it.

Aj

Nice work, really interested in this hackintosh concept!

I also wonder if someone managed to have a macbook wifi-card going yet?

I guess the most preferable would be one with integrated bluetooth like this one: MacBook Air 13" A1369 11" A1369 A1370 2010 2011 2012 WiFi Bluetooth Card, A+ | eBay

One problem though, how would it fit without any screw holes :S ?

Nice work, really interested in this hackintosh concept!

I also wonder if someone managed to have a macbook wifi-card going yet?

Don't know if anyone's succeeded at that yet! But in reading further, I found it is indeed quite common for Hackintosh users to just use a third-party USB WiFi dongle in their laptops (and skip all the white list issues, hardware compatibility challenges, etc that often come when trying to get another WiFi card to work, cross-platform). This recent article on MacBreaker recommends a bunch of specific models, Excerpt:

If you want to connect your Hackintosh to the internet via WiFi, you'll usually have to set up a separate wireless adapter (also known as a WiFi card). When choosing a WiFi adapter, your two main options are to buy either a PCI adapter or a USB adapter. The names are self-explanatory; a PCI adapter should be attached to a motherboard PCI slot, while a USB adapter should be attached to a USB port. Both mediums have their own advantages and disadvantages.... read on for a list of compatible USB WiFi adapters.

Don't know if anyone's succeeded at that yet! But in reading further, I found it is indeed quite common for Hackintosh users to just use a third-party USB WiFi dongle in their laptops (and skip all the white list issues, hardware compatibility challenges, etc that often come when trying to get another WiFi card to work, cross-platform). This recent article on MacBreaker recommends a bunch of specific models, Excerpt:

2570P wifi slot is half height. Hackintosh: PCI-E WiFi adapters for OS X advises to get one of these:

Mini PCI-Express (Half-Size):

Atheros AR5B93

Atheros AR5BHB92

Broadcom BCM94322HM8L

From that list, the BCM94322HM8L is readily available as shown at 100% Vanilla MINI PCIe WiFi Card tested on 10.6.8, 10.7.4, 10.8.1.

2570P wifi slot is half height. Hackintosh: PCI-E WiFi adapters for OS X advises to get of of these:

Mini PCI-Express (Half-Size):

Atheros AR5B93

Atheros AR5BHB92

Broadcom BCM94322HM8L

From that list, the BCM94322HM8L is readily available as shown at 100% Vanilla MINI PCIe WiFi Card tested on 10.6.8, 10.7.4, 10.8.1.

Oh half length, I forgot =)

Thanks for the list Nando.

I would be awesome to find a compatible BT + WIFI combo too.

• 2 weeks later...
Version:F.44 (8 Oct 2013)
Fixes
- Fixed intermittent issue where system stops functioning properly when the system is powered on while a USB headset is connected to the system using the USB 3.0 port.

- Fixes an issue where a system that is UEFI enabled does not complete a UEFI PXE boot if the system is powered on while Secure Boot is enabled.
Enhancements
- Provides support for additional wireless LAN modules.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Version:F.44 (8 Oct 2013)

Enhancements

- Provides support for additional wireless LAN modules.[/TD]

That sounds interesting! I wonder what these could be?

I did a phoenixtool decompression of the F.44 bios comparing it to my F.42. The whitelist hasn't changed. This statement with F.44 appears to be HP publicly acknowledging these systems can use any wifi card, appearing as "Test WLAN". We discovered this is already present in bios F.41/F.42 at [url]http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-25.html#post67796[/url]. I notified HP of this "Test WLAN" feature just prior to this bios release. A coincidence?

The Hackintosh community may have been instrumental in getting this change implemented. As you know, MacOS working great with certain Broadcomm/Atheros cards and not so with the more common Intel cards found as factory parts on many PC notebooks.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Theory: Running 45W i7-quad at full speed?

@Aikimox and @jacobsson . I recall Aikimox has commented that his i7-3840QM (3.8Ghz/1C, 3.7Ghz/2C, 3.6Ghz/4C) drops the the sustained turbo max limit by 200Mhz due to the bios setting dual-core i5/i7 CPU 35W power limits.

Now I've notice that the TPL setting in Throttlestop does not have the power limits locked with my CPU as shown in the screen capture below.

Have either of you altered this setting to see if can get your CPU to run 4C turbo mode at full speed? These being:

i7-3840QM: 3.6Ghz/4C, 3.7Ghz/2C, 3.8Ghz/1C

i7-3820QM: 3.5Ghz/4C, 3.6Ghz/2C, 3.7Ghz/1C

As you both have modified heatsinks I believe you shouldn't see CPU throttling due to temperature.

xm6w.jpg

I did a phoenixtool decompression of the F.44 bios comparing it to my F.42. The whitelist hasn't changed. This statement with F.44 appears to be HP publicly acknowledging these systems can use any wifi card, appearing as "Test WLAN". We discovered this is already present in bios F.41/F.42 at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-25.html#post67796. I notified HP of this "Test WLAN" feature just prior to this bios release. A coincidence?

The Hackintosh community may have been instrumental in getting this change implemented. As you know, MacOS working great with certain Broadcomm/Atheros cards and not so with the more common Intel cards found as factory parts on many PC notebooks.

Sadly, the WWAN whitelist is still intact. I tried getting my USB wifi in a mini pcie card format to work and I got the BIOS warning. I plugged my 6235 into the WWAN slot just for fun, and Windows saw something but couldn't find drivers to make it work. Maybe the card didn't fully initialize so the BT side wasn't working right. That's just more incentive to solder up the WWAN slot tracks to see what happens.

Sadly, the WWAN whitelist is still intact. I tried getting my USB wifi in a mini pcie card format to work and I got the BIOS warning. I plugged my 6235 into the WWAN slot just for fun, and Windows saw something but couldn't find drivers to make it work. Maybe the card didn't fully initialize so the BT side wasn't working right. That's just more incentive to solder up the WWAN slot tracks to see what happens.

The WWAN slot was always whitelisted. It's only the WLAN that isn't. If you mask the USB pins 36, 38 does it still give a BIOS warning? If not, consider re-routing those tracks to the USB port docking connector instead as per the 2560P schematic to overcome the whitelisting.

INFO: unbridged tracks on 2570P WWAN socket are mSATA but no BIOS support

According to a HP head engineer that I'm in contact with that developed the 2570P those extra unbridged tracks on the WWAN slot (pin 23,25,31,33) are mSATA. I was advised that soldering the lines will enable it electrically.

Problem is the code to enable that SATA port2 so it can be used was removed in an early development 2570P bios version. I've asked him to see if that code can be re-injected back into the bios for which I'm awaiting a reply.

If (likely) not, then the only chance of getting the mSATA part of the WWAN slot to work would be to do a risky 8470/8570 BIOS cross-flash. Keep in mind too that those 8470/8570 systems don't have mSATA boot support. They only support the mSATA SSD being used as a cache module alongside a HDD. Though I have read of users booting their HDD and having the BCD directed to then boot Winodws off the mSATA SSD.

To bridge the WWAN pins 23,25,31,33 solder SMT 0ohm resistors on the pads as shown in the image below. Image courtesy of pandaleo.

h6LFXSN.jpg

Theory: Running 45W i7-quad at full speed?

@Aikimox and @jacobsson . I recall Aikimox has commented that his i7-3840QM (3.8Ghz/1C, 3.7Ghz/2C, 3.6Ghz/4C) drops the the sustained turbo max limit by 200Mhz due to the bios setting dual-core i5/i7 CPU 35W power limits.

Now I've notice that the TPL setting in Throttlestop does not have the power limits locked with my CPU as shown in the screen capture below.

Have either of you altered this setting to see if can get your CPU to run 4C turbo mode at full speed? These being:

i7-3840QM: 3.6Ghz/4C, 3.7Ghz/2C, 3.8Ghz/1C

i7-3820QM: 3.5Ghz/4C, 3.6Ghz/2C, 3.7Ghz/1C

As you both have modified heatsinks I believe you shouldn't see CPU throttling due to temperature.

I have the same visuals as you except 45w/56w for Long/Short. I tried pushing the 'Time limit slide' and lock the 'Power limit register' -> Apply.

Started Prime95 and HWinfo only shows 100MHz x 27 at most :(

Hello. If somebody knows what kind of socets is this can he say where are USB contacts?

Not sure what that is. If you need to access USB internally then suggest you tap off a docking or expresscard connector USB port instead. See 2560P schematic for pinout.

Below is the USB port assignment as found in the 2560P schematic. Just note that bluetooth and WWAN are whitelisted USB ports.

48tr.png

I have the same visuals as you except 45w/56w for Long/Short. I tried pushing the 'Time limit slide' and lock the 'Power limit register' -> Apply.

Started Prime95 and HWinfo only shows 100MHz x 27 at most :(

Thank you for the reply.

Can you confirm if your CPU runs at 3.5Ghz/4C mode with say Prime95, or are you too seeing the turbo decrease by 200Mhz? If so, does using a 90W AC adapter give you full performance?

You can see that the short TPL limit for you is 56W which with say battery charging and rest of the system (HDD, LCD, RAM) is getting pretty close to the AC adapter 65W limit. If don't have a 90W AC adapter to test with then at least remove the battery to prevent the AC adapter providing charging facilities during the 4-core CPU load testing. That will give a little more clearance for the 65W AC adapter to do the job.

According to Throttlestop, TDP locking. What values should I set? Another interesting thing is that, during play BF4 single/multi on FHD and High preset, there is only 40-60% CPU usage. should be some around 100%, BF4 is really CPU dependant. There is no option of throttling cause max tempereature on core during one hour play was 79C. Other cores around 75C. 90W AC. High Performance.

Here You have picture with FPS, Video Bus Load and Max CPU usage. As You can see, the whole, long FPS drop (middle of third mission) is related to video bus load choking. On polish board we found some other games where GPU bus is responsible for huge fps drops. like Crysis3 (when come out on grass).

post-10292-14494996470451_thumb.png

post-10292-14494996469694_thumb.png

According to Throttlestop, TDP locking. What values should I set? Another interesting thing is that, during play BF4 single/multi on FHD and High preset, there is only 40-60% CPU usage. should be some around 100%, BF4 is really CPU dependant. There is no option of throttling cause max tempereature on core during one hour play was 79C. Other cores around 75C. 90W AC. High Performance.

Here You have picture with FPS, Video Bus Load and Max CPU usage. As You can see, the whole, long FPS drop (middle of third mission) is related to video bus load choking. On polish board we found some other games where GPU bus is responsible for huge fps drops. like Crysis3 (when come out on grass).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9698[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9699[/ATTACH]

Try setting the turbo limit time = maximum to see if that makes a difference. You could have a go at setting the 45W CPU limits, ie: package power limits=45/56W.Not sure on that one since you are running a 35W CPU that might just ignore those settings.

Thank you for the reply.

Can you confirm if your CPU runs at 3.5Ghz/4C mode with say Prime95, or are you too seeing the turbo decrease by 200Mhz? If so, does using a 90W AC adapter give you full performance?

You can see that the short TPL limit for you is 56W which with say battery charging and rest of the system (HDD, LCD, RAM) is getting pretty close to the AC adapter 65W limit. If don't have a 90W AC adapter to test with then at least remove the battery to prevent the AC adapter providing charging facilities during the 4-core CPU load testing. That will give a little more clearance for the 65W AC adapter to do the job.

Weird.. When I run Prime95 with TS active my cores are limited to 2.7GHz (even though I lock to 37 multiplier), w/o TS active I get 3.4GHz..

Throttlestop is more like throttle-activator for me!

Could you post what exact settings I should use? =)

EDIT: After TS has limited my multiplier to 27 I have to restart my system in order to have it back normal again.

Weird.. When I run Prime95 with TS active my cores are limited to 2.7GHz (even though I lock to 37 multiplier), w/o TS active I get 3.4GHz..

Throttlestop is more like throttle-activator for me!

Could you post what exact settings I should use? =)

EDIT: After TS has limited my multiplier to 27 I have to restart my system in order to have it back normal again.

Is that with or without clicking the Lock "Power Limit Register" option? If it's with, then dont click that option. Does that make a difference? Are you using a 90W AC adapter?

Is that with or without clicking the Lock "Power Limit Register" option? If it's with, then dont click that option. Does that make a difference? Are you using a 90W AC adapter?

1. Yes I tested both lock ticked and lock unticked, same result regardless how high I set the long/short W.

2. yes I use a 90W universal adapter (which doesn't give me BSOD like the original 65W does during eGPU load, so it seems legit).

This seems rather strange since TS do affect my clockings, but only for lowering them.

Anything else I can test?

Maybe @Aikimox could test if he get the same results as me?

RAID_0 Setup for Win 7

1. Make an WIN7 USB installation with Windows USB/DVD download Tool and a Win7 ISO (fully legal)
    NOTE: If can't find Home edition of your language you can download Pro edition and delete \sources\ei.cfg to be able to choose home edition later on in the installation.
  2. In bios: Set ‘Sata Device Mode’ to RAID
  3. In bios: Set USB-boot in top of the list of BOOT Devices
  4. Boot up Win7 installation from the USB-drive
  5. Inside installation make sure to delete all partitions so that you end up with two unallocated (disk 0 and disk 1). See pic inside spoiler

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8794[/ATTACH]
Install Windows 7 one of the unallocated drives, for me disk 1 worked whilst disk 0 didn't (can’t explain why, but I guess it has to do with the RAID setting from BIOS).
Windows should now be installed. Since we only have allocated space on one disk we need to enter Disk Management in Windows: type “partition” in start menu search field (no quotes) press enter.
Inside Disk Management: Extend the allocated disk (C:\) with unallocated space of the second disk by choosing “Extend Volume”.
Now it's time to create our RAID-array. Install RTS (Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology) from HP or Intel website. I took my RTS from HP's 2570P drivers archive.
Under “Create” tab: You can create the RAID-array, choose RAID 0.
Setting Stripe size? This is something I forgot to do and had to settle with 32KB. I’m happy with it so I don’t really care for it. In other words, I don't know how to set it.
Press next and wait some 30 minutes or so in order to migrate data from (in my case) disk 1 to disk 0.
You’re done! Now it should look something like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8795[/ATTACH]

Great, thanks a lot!

Made my RAID0 system with the help of this description, it is fast as hell.

Found a newer version of RST here http://le.usite.hu/le/driver/intel/Intel.Rapid.Storage.Technology.Driver-12.8.0.1016.exe?k=1478&FixForIE=.exe .

At the RST v.12.0.8 you can change the data stripe size easily (but I left it on 32KB), and migrating data was only 3-4 minutes (turned off hibernation and set page file to zero, deleted every unnecessary files e.g. the whole swsetup folder, so it was only 8GB data at the partition)

• Thumbs Up 1

Great, thanks a lot!

Made my RAID0 system with the help of this description, it is fast as hell.

Found a newer version of RST here http://le.usite.hu/le/driver/intel/Intel.Rapid.Storage.Technology.Driver-12.8.0.1016.exe?k=1478&FixForIE=.exe .

At the RST v.12.0.8 you can change the data stripe size easily (but I left it on 32KB), and migrating data was only 3-4 minutes (turned off hibernation and set page file to zero, deleted every unnecessary files e.g. the whole swsetup folder, so it was only 8GB data at the partition)

Nice to see another RAID0-setup!

I'd like to see your boot time from power on to desktop =)

Nice to see another RAID0-setup!

I'd like to see your boot time from power on to desktop =)

@BxL , so would I. I'd like to see at least CrystalDiskMark benchmark results. Hoping to see > 1GB/s sequentual reads.

If you include your full system specs as a post or within your signature then I can link you on the first page leaderboard as having a modified 2570P. You'd be the second RAID-0 entry.

OK, thanks for asking :)

I saw some 1GB+ sequential read, and it goes with an average of 700-900MB/sec.

I think I'm not allowed to attach videos or pictures yet, because I'm a newbie here, but I'll upload it to some free webspace tomorrow. Got HDtune, crystalmarkand other nice benchmark results