Yes, HP have done a marvellous job of restricting the full potential of our machines. A couple of points:

* there has been no hacked bios for Elitebooks since the Core2Duo days due to the RSA protection preventing it as found out by the gurus at bios-mods.com . So our systems come with built-in internal WWAN/wifi redundancy. It was suggested by by phillifoc here that engineering sample mPCIE wifi cards do pass the whitelist check but with a bios 'engineering sample' boot message.

* no 2570P schematic has been leaked to the public as yet, so next best reference is the 2560P schematic. Differences noted so far being QM67 versus QM77 chipset, the latter with native USB 3.0 and 8MB versus 16MB BIOS ROM chips.

* 2560P had SPI/BIOS pads on there so leads could be attached to allow programming directly with a SPI eprom burner. I haven't pulled apart my 2570P to see if it's the same. That's what would be needed as emergency recovery if you wanted to start flashing 8470/8570 or other hacked bios onto the machine.

* for memory timings unlock suggest flashing F.00 or F.01 bios and see if that does the trick. Note: In previous Elitebooks it was impossible to flash back if had a F.20 or newer bios. If can't do a bios downgrade via the HP flashing tool then need someone with a F.00/F.01 bios to volunteer a fptw64 16MB BIOS dump to do it. Note too that a NVidia eGPU would get you 5-10 times faster performance than the iGPU.

* 2560P schematic had the WWAN port as PCIe port1 in the schematic, though I believe didn't make it to the final production version. Does soldering on 4xSMT 0hm resistors to the 2570P WWAN slot pins 23, 25, 31, 33 wire up the same PCIe port1 or does it wire it up to SATA port2? If it wires up PCIe then all it really does is give us the ability to add a full length wifi card (or perhaps add a engineering sample mPCIe+USB card like mentioned here or investigate x2 2.0 DIY eGPU connectivity using mPCIe+expresscard [port1+2]). If it's SATA then it gives scope to investigate mSATA connectivity via a 8470P/W or 8570P/W bios. PCIe port1 is a root port required for all the other ports to work so is already enabled on our 2570P bios.

* CPU power limits are increased in the 8470P/W or 8570P/W bios since they have 45W i7-quad options. An avenue for investigation I see you are pursuing. The i7-quad models having an extra heatsink heatpipe to dissipate the 45W CPU's additional heat compared to their 35W dual-core counterparts.

Has anybody logged a case with HP enquiring about these?

Thanks for your 2560P schematic.

From the schematic, the WWAN slot pins 23, 25, 31, 33 may bridge to the PCIe port(see page.28 and 48). They are PCIE_C_XXX7_WWAN, although HP didn't connect them at the PCB.

Throught all the schematic, no msata is mentioned. At PCH page.27, only HDD, ODD(DVDRW), ESATA, DOCK is presented, so I think the WWAN slot can not support msata.

That is the 2560P schematic provided as a guide since no 2570P public one exists as yet. We cannot be 100% sure that it applies to our 2570P. The other way of getting mSATA is to run shielded lines internally from the ESATA port to the (disconnected) WWAN slot pci-e pins 23, 25, 31, 33. That might be a better way of doing it anyway since there's a ton of complaints by 8470/8570 owners that they can only use the mSATA slot as a cache. It isn't listed as a bootup device by the BIOS.

Damn, a bummer. So this is pretty much a dead end. We are done then, unless there's a way of bypassing the RSA protection and modding the BIOS itself. Wouldn't that security file I sent you work or was it something non related. As far as I remember it was used to change the security settings in the TPM module...

Well, flashing the 8470P dump directly is luck of the draw. I'd suggest doing the following groundwork before doing the flash if that is too risky a venture:

* AndyP's PhoenixTool can be used to disassemble the bios into modules against which a diff comparison. Those differing modules then requiring disassembly to evaluate what they are doing differently.

* look at at http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/1125-m18x-a03-bios-modifying-via-da_gs-method-hex-registers-editing.html comparing the 8470P (quad) and 6570B (dual) dumps and finally confirming the dual ones in 2570P. Power limits might be set as to some fixed part of the bios dump.

2386d1316715091-hexworkshop-adjusting-register-value.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, guys, I ran a few stress-benches (wPrime 1024mb and Prime95 10min). First of all, the temps are now completely adequate. Under full continuous load the system settled under 89C in Prime. That is with the fan at full blast and stock BCLK. With a back plate removed the same test showed 81C max. Same test at 104.8 BCLK - 82C max. So, drilling holes in the cover would definitely bring some improvement but no more than a couple of degrees. Still, I might do it just for kicks.

Here are the screenshots:

1. Stock clocks, Maxed out fan, wPrime 1024mb run:

post-85-14494996143684_thumb.jpg

2. Stock clocks, Maxed out fan, wPrime 1024mb run, no back cover:

post-85-14494996144039_thumb.jpg

3. BCLK @104.8, Maxed out fan, wPrime 1024mb run, no back cover:

post-85-14494996144376_thumb.jpg

post-85-14494996143684_thumb.jpg

post-85-14494996144039_thumb.jpg

post-85-14494996144376_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, guys, I ran a few stress-benches (wPrime 1024mb and Prime95 10min). First of all, the temps are now completely adequate. Under full continuous load the system settled under 89C in Prime. That is with the fan at full blast and stock BCLK. With a back plate removed the same test showed 81C max. Same test at 104.8 BCLK - 82C max. So, drilling holes in the cover would definitely bring some improvement but no more than a couple of degrees. Still, I might do it just for kicks.

Alright dude, that's really nice temps!

So the biggest difference between our mods is that you basically have more copper than me, and not to forget, I have a ES CPU which might behave a little different temp wise.

I think I'm going to make a similar "pro" mod as yours =)

Yea :) the differences are similar that I predicted. If you drill some holes and put end of 2570p a little bit higher there will be 2-3C in idle and maybe 5C in stress but this mod is really easy and cheap :) There is only an issue with drilling. It's not so easy, I experienced it with 8460p whre I drilled wholes under the fan. Now Im not going to drill holes but lines, they will be situated from fan to heatsink. Something like on the pic below.

And a little advice for You, don't sell i5-3360M, cause when You will be in need of onsite services they can refuse service and even cancel all carepack because You changed CPU (if you dont swap it to original one). Fact that CPU is not soldered doesn't mean that you are allowed to swap it by yourself. Seriously.

EDIT: I just received bezel and back cover from 2560p. Cover is completly the same. Fits brilliant. Bezel is different, as shown below, there are differences in camera and light diode. Maybe the reason of diff is fact that bezel from 2560p came from item without camera, maybe with camera equipped version there wouldn't be a dif. Later on Im going to compare back of bezel to check if latches are situated in the same places.

Im going to drill 2560p back plate in this way:

My desired lines :P

post-10292-1449499614634_thumb.jpg

post-10292-14494996144702_thumb.jpg

post-10292-14494996145485_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Alright dude, that's really nice temps!

So the biggest difference between our mods is that you basically have more copper than me, and not to forget, I have a ES CPU which might behave a little different temp wise.

I think I'm going to make a similar "pro" mod as yours =)

Well, maxing out the fan with TPfan control really helps. I've just finished a 3 hour gaming session (Crysis and a few other games) and the max temp was about 77c which is perfect. But there's definitely some more room for improvement. But it's not just more copper, it's more thin copper with a lot of surface area and easy to dissipate. Otherwise you will only slow down the heat but once it gets to the critical point, it will be very difficult to control.

Yea :) the differences are similar that I predicted. If you drill some holes and put end of 2570p a little bit higher there will be 2-3C in idle and maybe 5C in stress but this mod is really easy and cheap :) There is only an issue with drilling. It's not so easy, I experienced it with 8460p whre I drilled wholes under the fan. Now Im not going to drill holes but lines, they will be situated from fan to heatsink. Something like on the pic below.

And a little advice for You, don't sell i5-3360M, cause when You will be in need of onsite services they can refuse service and even cancel all carepack because You changed CPU (if you dont swap it to original one). Fact that CPU is not soldered doesn't mean that you are allowed to swap it by yourself. Seriously.

EDIT: I just received bezel and back cover from 2560p. Cover is completly the same. Fits brilliant. Bezel is different, as shown below, there are differences in camera and light diode. Maybe the reason of diff is fact that bezel from 2560p came from item without camera, maybe with camera equipped version there wouldn't be a dif. Later on Im going to compare back of bezel to check if latches are situated in the same places.

Im going to drill 2560p back plate in this way:

My desired lines :P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9089[/ATTACH]

Awesome stuff, keep us posted. Every degree counts in this business! :)

I just jumped on your wagon and ordered a 2560p bottom plate

+ copper shims to replace my coins with, if it's even possible to even remove them :nightmare:

Possible, I removed a second heatpipe after gluing it with AC thermal adhesive. Just need to apply some force ;)

Possible, I removed a second heatpipe after gluing it with AC thermal adhesive. Just need to apply some force ;)

Thermal adhesive isn't very conductive. Best is to get some solder paste and to bake everything in the toaster under high pressure with C-clamps. Bonds like it was originally in the design.

Thermal adhesive isn't very conductive. Best is to get some solder paste and to bake everything in the toaster under high pressure with C-clamps. Bonds like it was originally in the design.

Too much work imho. I used a torque force of a screwdriver and it worked. As for residual glue if you care about it, use sanding paper + xacto knife => less than 5 min of work.

I heard the freezer method should be good for this!

I'm also going to use 15x15x0.5mm for my radiator (removing the black thermal tape first I guess?).

For the the heatsink I'm going to use 20x20x2mm shims, the coins are ~1.85mm so that should be alright.

I also saw this ridiculous fan that I'll give a go =)

here are the results of drilling. I decided to drill, not to cut four, five lines cause when I cut one line there is really instability in plate. If there were 5 lines it would be really unstable. I didn't take eGPU to test it in stress, I remember what temps was in 3dm11 so I add this temps later.

post-10292-14494996148811_thumb.jpg

here are the results of drilling. I decided to drill, not to cut four, five lines cause when I cut one line there is really instability in plate. If there were 5 lines it would be really unstable. I didn't take eGPU to test it in stress, I remember what temps was in 3dm11 so I add this temps later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9099[/ATTACH]

Nice job! So, what's the difference in temps?

LOL, I couldn't run all 3dm11 cause there is a constant error during physics test, I assume the reason is 65W adapter which I have at home. It's strange I couldn't run 3dm11 on 65W with i5 :(

weird indeed. Try cpu only tests like Prime 95, wprime 1.55, cinebench r10, r11.5

Edit:

How do you like them bananas :Banane54::

3dmark06 3840QM/HD4000

3dmark11 3840QM/HD4000

weird indeed. Try cpu only tests like Prime 95, wprime 1.55, cinebench r10, r11.5

What settings were set during your Prime95 test? There is a lot options to choose, I'd rather do this test in the same way to have comparable results. Is there any final of Prime95 test or should I end it after specific time?

I bought i7-3632QM for ~145$ in Poland despite I can play FarCry3 smoothly (around 40fps) in FullHD + high settings on i5 and GTX560Ti. I'll check what temps will be on my modded 2570p and decide to sell i7 back or leave it and wait for Witcher3 ;)

What settings were set during your Prime95 test? There is a lot options to choose, I'd rather do this test in the same way to have comparable results. Is there any final of Prime95 test or should I end it after specific time?

I bought i7-3632QM for ~145$ in Poland despite I can play FarCry3 smoothly (around 40fps) in FullHD + high settings on i5 and GTX560Ti. I'll check what temps will be on my modded 2570p and decide to sell i7 back or leave it and wait for Witcher3 ;)

I always run the blend (default) test. Also wprime 1.55 32MB and 1024mb (set to 8 threads).

Ok, I tested temps with 3dm11 and prime95. Everything on defaults. I always run prime for 5 minutes, I realized there is no point to do it longer cause I tried yesterday to run it for 15 minutes and there was no differences in max temps after 5 minutes.

Conclusion after test:

- there is no differences in max temps in 3dm11, no matter if 2570p was put on ground, lifted, with original cover or with modded (always around 67-68C).

- there is a significant differences in max temps during Prime95. We got 6C (77C vs 71C) less when tested with modded plate and lifted laptop (2cm half-sphere under battery). Even without lifting there is a 3C difference in max temps with modded plate.

But there is something wrong with this laptop. During all Prime and 3dm11 test, even with stable 100% Core load there was no 3,2GHz on cores. Whole time only 3,0GHz. It was run on 90W. We will se how i7-3632QM will behave tomorrow.

Here You have some comparison charts. I didn't upload others if there is no differences.

- prime 95, not modded cover, flat vs lifted

post-10292-14494996152733_thumb.png

- prime95, modded cover, flat vs lifted (second charts represents better differences in temps and rpm), take a look how low rpm are required to maintan this good temps :)

post-10292-14494996150813_thumb.png

post-10292-14494996151733_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 2

But there is something wrong with this laptop. During all Prime and 3dm11 test, even with stable 100% Core load there was no 3,2GHz on cores. Whole time only 3,0GHz. It was run on 90W. We will se how i7-3632QM will behave tomorrow.

Nothing wrong at all with your i5-3230M. Intel Core i5 3230M Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech explains:

Each core offers a base speed of 2.6 GHz but can dynamically increase clock rates with Turbo Boost up to 3.0 GHz (for 2 active cores) and 3.2 GHz (for 1 active core).
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I tested temps with 3dm11 and prime95. Everything on defaults. I always run prime for 5 minutes, I realized there is no point to do it longer cause I tried yesterday to run it for 15 minutes and there was no differences in max temps after 5 minutes.

Conclusion after test:

- there is no differences in max temps in 3dm11, no matter if 2570p was put on ground, lifted, with original cover or with modded (always around 67-68C).

- there is a significant differences in max temps during Prime95. We got 6C (77C vs 71C) less when tested with modded plate and lifted laptop (2cm half-sphere under battery). Even without lifting there is a 3C difference in max temps with modded plate.

Here You have some comparison charts. I didn't upload others if there is no differences.

- prime 95, not modded cover, flat vs lifted

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9109[/ATTACH]

- prime95, modded cover, flat vs lifted (second charts represents better differences in temps and rpm), take a look how low rpm are required to maintan this good temps :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9108[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]9107[/ATTACH]

Very good results! You should see an extra couple of degrees difference with a quad and higher RPM. I'll try your mod for sure.