Update for my system:

See my sign =)

I've managed to make an pretty easy copper mod to the heatsink which gives me idle temps of almost 39 - 40c (if you have proper tim added, mine tend to run hotter for the moment).

I will post a more detailed write-up here with pictures and other goodies from my experience of these upgrades.

Do You mean 40C in idle with 3820QM in 2570p??? Does idle mean average temperatures during browsing internet, listening to music, lastfm and few office documents?

What about stress temperatures (for example peak in 3dm11 benchmark)?

Wouldn't be better for You to swap CPU between E530 and 2570p? :)

Do You mean 40C in idle with 3820QM in 2570p??? Does idle mean average temperatures during browsing internet, listening to music, lastfm and few office documents?

What about stress temperatures (for example peak in 3dm11 benchmark)?

Wouldn't be better for You to swap CPU between E530 and 2570p? :)

Hi dude.

I mean idle-idle (doing nothing) but I will make proper measurements for : idle, browsing, movie/streaming, gaming.

The E530 uses the 3612QM and I like gaming so I thought a 45W quad was a no-brainer (also got it for a reasonable price).

3820QM vs. 3612QM

Ok, I can't wait to see what have You done with this 2570p's heatsink :)

Few days ago I sold 2630QM because I realized that there is nothing worth of playing right now for me ;) After this I started to think about to make come back to 12,5". To widen my pole exploration, I bought one SSD (500GB) instead of SSD+HDD.

And now I don't know what to choose.

2570p:

+ no soldered CPU, alu chassis, heatsink mod.

- no IPS option (even mod), rpms :( (the lowest 3200 rpm vs 2600 in 8460p, and 2400 in X220), no backlit

E6220:

+ rpm (?), IPS mod, alu chassis, backlit, heatsink mod(?)

- soldered CPU

X220:

+ rpm (!), IPS, heatsink mod(?)

- soldered CPU, poor chassis, backlit

Hi dude.

I mean idle-idle (doing nothing) but I will make proper measurements for : idle, browsing, movie/streaming, gaming.

The E530 uses the 3612QM and I like gaming so I thought a 45W quad was a no-brainer (also got it for a reasonable price).

3820QM vs. 3612QM

Not to mention the i7-3820QM might be further unlockable to gain a further 400Mhz across all multipliers (37, 36, 35 -> 41, 40, 39 when 1, 2, 3/4 cores are active). Thats when the ME firmware allows the partially unlocked multipliers to be used .

We know how to unlock the flash descriptor on a 2570P (ALT+[left arrow]+[right arrow] during poweron). Just need someone to take the plunge to alter the ME firmware by following Khenglish's guidelines at http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2091-lets-enable-overclocking-all-6-7-series-laptops.html to try. Might be an idea to invest in a 90W AC adapter to avoid power starvation if wanting to try. Needs cooling system mods to be able to handle the extra heat.

Not to mention the i7-3820QM might be further unlockable to gain a further 400Mhz across all multipliers (37, 36, 35 -> 41, 40, 39 when 1, 2, 3/4 cores are active). Thats when the ME firmware allows the partially unlocked multipliers to be used .

We know how to unlock the flash descriptor on a 2570P (ALT+[left arrow]+[right arrow] during poweron). Just need someone to take the plunge to alter the ME firmware by following Khenglish's guidelines at http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2091-lets-enable-overclocking-all-6-7-series-laptops.html to try. Might be an idea to invest in a 90W AC adapter to avoid power starvation if wanting to try. Needs cooling system mods to be able to handle the extra heat.

Funny you just mentioned this, wrote a PM regarding this a couple of minutes ago.

I also have the 90W adapter in my possession, right now it's not necessary but might come in handy if we manage to unlock the CPU.

- - - Updated - - -

@bjorm:

I'll have to my biggest issue pre-purchase was the screen. Now that I used it for a couple of weeks it's really no biggie at all, I'm even pretty satisfied with the lower resolution as well.

Are you in to gaming?

If yes, eGPU + 2570P + 45/35W i7 + heatsink mod = absolutely best choice.

Remember that you can always wait and see what my result yields (and ask me for any measurement that I missed) and decide if it's good enough.

Ok, I can't wait to see what have You done with this 2570p's heatsink :)

Few days ago I sold 2630QM because I realized that there is nothing worth of playing right now for me ;) After this I started to think about to make come back to 12,5". To widen my pole exploration, I bought one SSD (500GB) instead of SSD+HDD.

And now I don't know what to choose.

2570p:

+ no soldered CPU, alu chassis, heatsink mod.

- no IPS option (even mod), rpms :( (the lowest 3200 rpm vs 2600 in 8460p, and 2400 in X220), no backlit

E6220:

+ rpm (?), IPS mod, alu chassis, backlit, heatsink mod(?)

- soldered CPU

X220:

+ rpm (!), IPS, heatsink mod(?)

- soldered CPU, poor chassis, backlit

The other two look pedestrian against the 2570P's performance potential. RAID-0 SSD on the 2570P (primary bay + optical bay), i7-quad upgradability, looks better and is built better than the other two and the easiest to service/mod too. Though if IPS LCD is a dealbreaker then maybe it's not for you?

Ultraportables and ultrabooks are coming under fire due to smartphones and tablets being able to do many of the activities they were previously used for. I mean why bother anymore? Have a smartphone/tablet for the road and a desktop at home for performance use. The 2570P is the only ultraportable from your list with performance potential to bring near-desktop performance and still offer great portability if needed.

It's great news! :)

If its possible to make 2570p more quiet so I don't have any other doubt what I am going to looking for. I game very rarely, so when The Witcher III will come out, I'll buy some QM IvyBridge, so I am not afraid of lower rpms in stress time. For now, most of time (90%) I just browsing internet and watching movies on external screen.

What level of firt treshold rpm you think I will gain after using this diode mode?

Is this diode mod is also easily possible in 2560p? (I don't need RAID-0 and IB CPU).

It's great news! :)

If its possible to make 2570p more quiet so I don't have any other doubt what I am going to looking for. I game very rarely, so when The Witcher III will come out, I'll buy some QM IvyBridge, so I am not afraid of lower rpms in stress time. For now, most of time (90%) I just browsing internet and watching movies on external screen.

What level of firt treshold rpm you think I will gain after using this diode mode?

Is this diode mod is also easily possible in 2560p? (I don't need RAID-0 and IB CPU).

2560P has one advantage over a 2570P. It has longer battery life out-of-the-box as doesn't need the INFO: 33% longer 2570P battery life by enabling ASPMs and L0s L1 to deal with USB 3.0 and card reader devices consuming excessive power due to poor bios optimization. Otherwise the 2570P has the faster CPU, iGPU, USB 3.0 + cleaner palmrest/LCD_bezel (due to no display latch) + RAID-0 capability.

I'll take back my comment about fan control. The 2560P schematic, of which the 2570P would be similar to, uses a PWM method for fan control. That mechanism alters the on/off pulse frequency at full 5V to the fan to set fan speed. It would require testing to see if 4.3V (via one diode) is acceptable and no feedback mechanism is in place to measure fan speed. If there is then the controller would compensate for the lower voltage by increasing pulse-on width to maintain it's 3200rpm start frequency. Dunno.. needs testing. So it's experimental for now:

EXPERIMENTAL: Lowering 2570P fan cut-in RPM by using 1 or 2 diodes

troubadix's TPFanControl allows fan step control on Sandy/Ivy Bridge Elitebooks. However it's not possible to alter the cut-in RPMs which bjorm says is 3200rpm.

That floor RPM might be able to be lowered by a hardware mod. How? Get HP to send you a spare fan under warranty ("my fan is noisy"), and add 1 or 2 diodes in series to the 5V wire. As each diodes sees a 0.7V voltage drop across it, you'd be decreasing the fan voltage from 5V to 4.3V or 3.6V respectively with an associated drop in RPMs.

lyxy.png

Above: attempted lowering of fan RPMs by using 1 or 2 diodes

Such a mod is very easy on a 2570P. One latch to remove the base, one screw to undo the fan and one fan connector to unplug it. The fan is then disconnected from the system. Soldering the diodes taking 5mins for someone with some level of skill, or a mobile phone technician could do it for you for a few $$ if it's not your thing.

This use of diodes to quiet fans in this way is described at I have a 5v usb fan and I want to reduce the speed. - element14 .

Though if it works as intended then it ill also lower the top-end RPMs as well. The danger then being whether heat will be dissipated quick enough when the system is under full CPU load, eg: prime95 testing. Shouldn't be a problem if improve heat conductivity by adding more copper. Something jacobbson will elaborate more on.

Are You going to try this mod on Your 2570p?

Hm I was wondering if this @jacobsson and Your @Tech Inferno Fan mods are available in 8460p/8470p...

Haven't felt a need to mod the fan as yet, though same experimental use of the diode(s) could be applied to a 8460P/8470P in an attempt to quieten down the fan.

Your 8460P has some advantages over a 2560P. Ones that come to mind being it's optional 1600x900 LCD, I (believe) RAID-0 storage capable plus a larger heatpipe to add cooling mods to. The downside is of course the larger 14" footprint and weight.

The thing is that I decided come back to 8460p after 2560p/2570p because of this 3200rpm in lowest treshold. I really don't like X220 but his 2600rpm in first treshold made him almost completely quiet in comparison to 2560p/2570p.

The lowest frequencies in IB are 1200MHz, in SB are 800MHz, it also has influence on average temperatures in idle and stress. It makes something around 2-4C in idle between 2560p and 2570p. Not too much but in stress there are significant differencess, in temp and in dB.

So if there was option to make 2560p/2570p more quiet by lowering rpms or by improvement heat dissipation (to switch rpm from 3200 to 0 and maintain average temps around 50-55C) I would choose 2560/2570p.

I don't use internal screen almost at all. 90% of time I use external screen (home and work), that's why I dont care about IPS option in X220 and E6220.

I made some comparison table, using data from Polish reviews. Take a look.

dB: idle/stress

T bottom: idle/stress [room temp]

temp top: idle/stress [room temp]

[FONT=arial]

2560p

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

32/42

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

28/30 (21)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

26/27 (21)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

2570p

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

34/45

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

27/37 (23)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

27/34 (23)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

X220

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

29/35

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

30/39 (23)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

28/35 (23)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

X230

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

31/37

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

36/41 (22)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

34/37 (22)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

E6220

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

no data

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

32/36 [21]

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

29/34 [21]

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

E6230

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

28/41

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]30/37 (23)[/FONT] [FONT=arial]28/35 (23)[/FONT]

EDIT: @Tech Inferno Fan Could You show me on ebay an example of diode which I should buy? I'll try to solder 2 diodes. With which cable (colour) should I solder this diodes?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8693[/ATTACH]

The thing is that I decided come back to 8460p after 2560p/2570p because of this 3200rpm in lowest treshold. I really don't like X220 but his 2600rpm in first treshold made him almost completely quiet in comparison to 2560p/2570p.

The lowest frequencies in IB are 1200MHz, in SB are 800MHz, it also has influence on average temperatures in idle and stress. It makes something around 2-4C in idle between 2560p and 2570p. Not too much but in stress there are significant differencess, in temp and in dB.

So if there was option to make 2560p/2570p more quiet by lowering rpms or by improvement heat dissipation (to switch rpm from 3200 to 0 and maintain average temps around 50-55C) I would choose 2560/2570p.

I don't use internal screen almost at all. 90% of time I use external screen (home and work), that's why I dont care about IPS option in X220 and E6220.

I made some comparison table, using data from Polish reviews. Take a look.

dB: idle/stress

T bottom: idle/stress [room temp]

temp top: idle/stress [room temp]

[FONT=arial]

2560p

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

32/42

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

28/30 (21)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

26/27 (21)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

2570p

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

34/45

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

27/37 (23)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

27/34 (23)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

X220

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

29/35

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

30/39 (23)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

28/35 (23)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

X230

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

31/37

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

36/41 (22)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

34/37 (22)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

E6220

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

no data

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

32/36 [21]

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

29/34 [21]

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

E6230

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]

28/41

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]30/37 (23)[/FONT] [FONT=arial]28/35 (23)[/FONT]

EDIT: @Tech Inferno Fan Could You show me on ebay an example of diode which I should buy? I'll try to solder 2 diodes. With which cable (colour) should I solder this diodes?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8693[/ATTACH]

While I can appreciate some internal aspects of the X220, I resigned to ever owning one. That was after seeing one in the flesh. I found it too plain looking and it's build quality was subpar. Overall I rate the X220/X230 to be inferior to the 2560P/2570P in looks, build and performance potential. Good thing is the 2560P/2570P has been under represented so those that know about them can pick them up for less than a X220/X230 :)

Have you logged a call with HP to correct this noisy fan issue?

Jacobsson will be posting cooling system mods that will drop temps. However, your point is still valid. At some point the 2560P/2570P fan will start and when it does it will be at a noisy 3200rpm. Your fans have the following pinout:

brown = 5V black = GND gray = Sense (tach) - provides two pulses per fan revoluton blue = Control (PWM)

So you'd want to splice a diode or two into the brown wire and see how the system responds. As mentioned earlier, if the bios is using the sense signal (gray) to detect the RPMs and using a lookup table for target RPMs based on temps, then all that will happen is the bios will then compensate for the lower 4.3V by increasing the ON pulse width of the PWM signal to in get the fan at it's desired RPM.
  • Thumbs Up 1

While I can appreciate some internal aspects of the X220, I resigned to ever owning one. That was after seeing one in the flesh. I found it too plain looking and it's build quality was subpar. Overall I rate the X220/X230 to be inferior to the 2560P/2570P in looks, build and performance potential. Good thing is the 2560P/2570P has been under represented so those that know about them can pick them up for less than a X220/X230 :)

Extreme good news! I can't wait to get new fan and diodes :)

Do You think is it possible to swap 1N4001 diode with 1N4004?

Sure can. Only difference is the 1N4004 can withstand a higher reverse voltage than the 1N4001 per Diode Substitute for 1N4001 - Overclockers Australia Forums .

Maybe you can take all the bits of info provided so far to make a definitive guide to quietening the fan on SB/IVB Elitebooks using one or two diodes? Something that can be linked on the first post for other to duplicate? Seems the fan noise is a dealbreaker for some and such info may come as a relief to others as well.

I put 8 as mutliple number, made save and after this i realized that IB was set as a SB! (1200 vs 800MHz). It was curious but more interesting is that, even after turning ThrottleStopp off, during watching 720p on YouTube there is still exact 798MHz on cores. It's really strange, don't You think?

post-10292-14494995958442_thumb.png

I took the plunge and dropped in an eBay special 3632QM. I went with the 35w quad core because I was having temperature and throttling issues with the 3360m, but the highest temps I've seen so far are 81C during benchmarks and Kerbal Space Program. I also thought that I read somewhere that @bjorm tried putting a 45w Sandy Bridge CPU in his 2570p and it didn't end well, but I can't seem to find the post now. I also didn't want to impact my battery life (or wallet) as much as some of the 45w CPUs would have. I was concerned that the GPU performance would drop as the boost clock was 50mhz lower, so I ran several benchmarks, but I saw some decent iGPU improvements. Here's some observations so far:

Hi, what is Your average idle temps during normal day, with using chrome (or other internet browser), foobar/winamp, some office sheets after few hours and fan on constant 3100rpm?

would You do 3dmar11, performance preset and attach HWinfo photo taken after test? Im interested in temps, CPU Fan and clock frequencies :)

Introduction

Why making this mod, isn't the stock cooler enough?

My former laptop had a clumsy 15.6" screen with an average 35W 3612QM,I wanted make a mean and portable gaming setup so it had to go.

I found that the 2570P is a 12.5" socketed little beast which allows for 45W Ivy-bridge CPU's, perfect choice for me!

This mod is simply necessary in order to absorb more heat comming from the 45W 3820QM.

Wait sir, you can't do high-end gaming with that integrated GPU right?

No you're right, I paired up my socketed little beast with my GTX670 eGPU setup, see my sign for benchmarks.

Instruction

Materials used

· $10 - 30$ 2560P/2570P heatsink from ebay

· Copper coins, Cu 97% (coins or you’re not an anarchist)

· Rasp (don’t worry it’s for the coins, not the notebook itself)

· Cohesive thermal compound (I used Artic Silver)

· Thermal paste for CPU (GC Extreme gav me best results)

Coin sizes

1. All coins: I choose to flat them down with the rasp on one the side, which will be the smooth contact surface on the heat sink.
  2. Heat pipe, coins: Flat down 2 x coins so that they obtain a rectangular shape in order have a snug fit when assembled in the notebook.
  3. Heat sink, coins: Depending on your coin size you have to test how many you can fit on the flat surface of the heat sink. It turns out the heat sink fits exactly three of my coins.

[Pic 4]

Applying coins

1. On heat pipe: Check carefully that the coins will fit with the heat sink assembled; I taped mine to the heat sink in order to test. If not, trim them some more and try again.
  2. On heat sink: These coins should be good to go by now!
  3. Now mix your adhesive thermal compound (if 50/50 mix: just spread two equally long lines in parallel and mix them).
  4. Apply adhesive compound to the coins: I suggest that you begin with the coins for one side of the heat sink (and pipe), now let them dry. Now do the other side, let them dry. [Pic 5 – all coins of one side/last coin on other side]
  5. Apply the other thermal paste to your CPU, NO not the adhesive compound you crazy person!
  6. Carefully install your Anarchist Heat Sink, remember the space will be more limited for the heat pipe now so don’t scratch up your CPU.
  7. DONE, you’re now officially an anarchist!

Results

Mod Results

post-6049-14494995999021_thumb.jpg8793d1377962829t-heatsink_coin_mod_3_1.jpg

Temp Results

These are the temps for each core when completing the Prime95 Mixed test.

Core #2 is always hotter than the others in all tests I've done and this is probably due to the fact that the CPU is an engineer sample.

Prime95 Mixed test

post-6049-14494996000841_thumb.png

What about normal use temps?

Idle (doing nothing): ~45c (seen it drop down to 39c for a while)

1080p, youtube (fullscreen): ~58c

Battlefield 3: ~82c

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare: ~75c

Conclusion

This mod helped, not only to clear the prime95 test with temps ~97C, but also make sure that normal use like browsing/streaming/gaming would not throttle my CPU, one have to admit that Prime95 doesn't correspond to near normal use.

As you can see there is room for adding more copper to the heatpipe in order to have higher efficiently transporting heat from the heatsink, this will be in my next update!

post-6049-14494995999559_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3