@adrian_sa, we are still waiting for your explanation about the mod how to change the screen. Where did you solder the high-speed pairs on the motherboard? And show schematic of every wires that you soldered on the motherboard. How did you do VBT modding? How did you change the default LVDS resolution to 1080p and the BL PWM frequency to 2000Hz?  Everything pls.

@invait53 Sorry, I was busy using the notebook in the field :D So far the mod holds up. I soldered the pairs to the dock connectors, there are vias on the board from which you can scrape off the solder mask and solder the pairs. Also you need HPD and I soldered the backlight enable and PWM pins to the pins of the old LVDS display. To do the VBT mods download the UEFITool and search for $VBT in non-unicode, you will find three modules, extract their bodies and open the files with Intel BMP, you can find the tool in the winraid forum. Now its been a while and I dont remember all the changes I did, I will have to find the bin file and share it here so you can compare. My method is flawed because right now I cant use a third monitor, the old LVDS interface is still working because of the backlight part, I will have to disable the LVDS and add a Arduino to control the backlight instead. I think that the HPD pin goes low when the display goes to sleep so I could probably use that.

Edited by adrian_sa

On 9/28/2019 at 2:10 AM, juandante said:

If you have 16Gb RAM, I recommend you to download the very old and known software "PrimoCache"

Thanks for advise but my SSD is Samsung and I use the program Samsung Magician with Rapid mode. I think it's the same functions.

@adrian_sa, did you use for your mod capacities like in DisplayPort connector:

DisplayPort.thumb.jpg.d10e71fb11f85027f6c7750147fe0079.jpg

Hi, guys, please forgive my english is every poor, I hope you can understand what I said. about msata, I delete the BIOS's SecureUpdating module and modified PlatformSetup module, removed the modem option, added the msata option, msata works perfectly, but can't boot the system directly from msata. The BIOS version I use is F.72, modified with the UEFITool tool, if you are interested, you can test it, but you must be careful, you must know how to use UEFITool and flash BIOS. It is important to backup your original BIOS before you start.

The motherboard's WWAN socket sata line needs to solder four 0.1UF capacitors or 0 ohm resistors.
I also changed the TFT to 2K display, using the DP in the docking station's interface.

IMG_20191006_152542-1.jpg

IMG_20190731_235704-1.jpg

PlatformSetup.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, bg6dt said:

I also changed the TFT to 2K display, using the DP in the docking station's interface.

Good job, show schematic pls.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:22 AM, MioIV said:

Just done messing up with bios write protection.

PchBiosWriteProtect
BIOS lock
00 B2 FE 48 81 C1 DC => 00 B2 FF 48 81 C1 DC
SMI lock
00 B2 20 48 81 C1 DC => 00 B2 00 48 81 C1 DC
PchSpiRuntime
00 00 B2 FE B9 DC 80 => 00 00 B2 FF B9 DC 80

Checked on ther F.73 bios version.
Unfortunately, in F.73 bios FDO hotkey is banned - nb just turns off right after start, so additional flash descriptor region edit is needed.
Here is patched bios section binary for your needs. It contains: no WWAN/WLAN/Bluetooth whitelist, no SecureUpdating module, no CompuTrace modules, BIOS lock removed, no_ASPM_bit in FACP is reset. No NVRAM.

How to flash:

1. Get a full dump of your stock bios, make a backup
  2. Extract the NVRAM section from it with UEFITool (BIOS Region => FFF12B8D-7696..., Extract as is)
  3. In hex editor open the full dump and replace bios section, start address 0xB00000 ($LOGO string)
  4. Replace the NVRAM section with yours in UEFITool (Replace as is)
  5. Edit FDT at address 0x60

00 00 0B 0A 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08 08 => 00 00 FF FF 00 00 FF FF 18 01 FF FF

And flash it with hardware programmer.

Possible issues: don't know why WIn8.1 boots too long, because of edited bios, shrinked MEI or just because it can.

As for mSATA, i'm not succeed at this time, maybe later. If someone want to try search where is satacontroller is initialized, here is the list with modules that different between 2570p and 8770w (don't checked bios versions though).

2570-8770 module diff list.zip

If am I right, according to hp 2560p schematic, if we remove the wwan whitelist we can get egpu pcie x2 2.0 bandwidth with expresscard and wwan mpcie slots. 

IMG_20191006_132144.jpg

Edited by AndyAndrei
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/6/2019 at 10:39 AM, bg6dt said:

removed the modem option, added the msata option, msata works perfectly,

Hello, how do you found that? Did you edited IFR section (or replaced from 8*70 PS module)? I see a lot of changes. Am i right that WWAN-device will be inaccessible then? I've noticed that Bluetooth option after removing according module didn't affect anything thought, maybe with WWAN will be same story.

but can't boot the system directly from msata.

Well, there's no surprise. @juandante asked about msata-enabled RAID, maybe it's available now.

Good work anyway.

On 10/6/2019 at 12:14 PM, AndyAndrei said:

If am I right, according to hp 2560p schematic, if we remove the wwan whitelist we can get egpu pcie x2 2.0 bandwidth with expresscard and wwan mpcie slots.

Only if pcie lanes is physically wired to the slot. @adrian_sa tested WLAN card already in the WWAN slot with no success. I've checked some schematics, pcie is wires into the same pcie pins that mSATA is used, so there signal commutator is needed. Dunno if it really exist on the motherboard side under the keyboard, but i think there is just no any option for combo cards in WWAN slot.

Edited by MioIV

On 10/8/2019 at 4:09 PM, MioIV said:

@juandante asked about msata-enabled RAID, maybe it's available now

Our chipset is Mobile Intel QM77 Express. That chipset has 4 ports of SATA2 and 2 ports of SATA3. SATA HDD and SATA ODD are SATA3. It means that in our laptop available RAID0 only.

Two people here have done the display mod but nobody wants to share it. 

Edited by invait53

@adrian_sa Thank you very much. If I'm not mistaken, with your mod I'll not able to see Bios. Did you twisted the line wires? What the length of cable? In theory this mod let me use the 4 line display. @bg6dt have done the mode with 2K screen. Maybe by the same way. I hope he will share it with us.

7 hours ago, invait53 said:

@adrian_sa Thank you very much. If I'm not mistaken, with your mod I'll not able to see Bios. Did you twisted the line wires? What the length of cable? In theory this mod let me use the 4 line display. @bg6dt have done the mode with 2K screen. Maybe by the same way. I hope he will share it with us.

I used the wire that I linked on aliexpress, just cut off the connector and solder the wires directly. I can see the BIOS, posted also about that, the BIOS doesn't work in full UEFI boot mode but if you switch to hybrid it does work. I also modded the VBT so I can use clone mode for the display. Right now I can you only the internal display or an external display via DP or VGA. I can't use extend mode. I dont know if 4 lines would work with this basic method, 1080p uses RDR(reduced data rate), for 2k you need HBR so there is bigger concerns about signal integrity.

The next step would be to implement MCU which would take care of the backlight control, but I don't where to get the Backlight enable pin if I disable the LVDS interface. The HPD pin is always high when machine is on. The Chinese x230 FHD mod uses USB with software I suppose to control the backlight.

On 10/8/2019 at 4:09 PM, MioIV said:

Hello, how do you found that? Did you edited IFR section (or replaced from 8*70 PS module)? I see a lot of changes. Am i right that WWAN-device will be inaccessible then? I've noticed that Bluetooth option after removing according module didn't affect anything thought, maybe with WWAN will be same story.

Yes, what you said is correct. I compared the BIOS of 8770W. after edited the IFR section, the key point is this: Variable: 0x368, and I have deleted the WWAN module using UEFITool. I plugged the bluetooth device into the WWAN socket, bluetooth Work perfectly, no whitelisting problem.

Snipaste_2019-10-10_20-16-43.png

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/6/2019 at 4:22 PM, invait53 said:

Good job, show schematic pls.

Backlight enable detection, I used the voltage detection of Lane0_P, when the EDP has a signal, the voltage is 0.5V, when the EDP has no signal, the voltage is 0V, MCU uses ADC detection, output high and low level signal control panel backlight.

Backlight brightness PWM, MCU detects keyboard FN+F9 and FN+F10 buttons, output PWM signal  control panel brightness .

Modify BIOS VBT, modify with Intel BMP Utility tool, delete internal LVDS display, do not use clone mode, only one monitor, full UEFI mode works perfectly, external monitor works perfectly. The BIOS version I use is F.72, see VBT.ZIP file. 

2K panel model: LQ125T1JX03C

Edp signal cable, I made it myself, the signal cable length is 13cm, the differential signal cable is twisted and twisted, covered with shielding tape.

DP_TO_EDP1.pdf

VBT.zip

IMG_20191009_122354.jpg

IMG_20190927_234124.jpg

Edited by bg6dt
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/10/2019 at 10:41 PM, invait53 said:

@bg6dt Well done. Can you do that plates more and sell it? Very interesting mod.

I've found on Ebay LVDS to eDP converter. Very simple to install. 

I am not a businessman, doing this is just my interest, so I am not ready to sell these.

The 2570p has only a single LVDS signal, and the resolution cannot be used above 1440x900. If 1440x900 or more is required, a dual LVDS signal is required.

On 10/13/2019 at 12:44 AM, bg6dt said:

I am not a businessman, doing this is just my interest, so I am not ready to sell these.

Okay but can you show here the former of printed circuit board with both sides and with real size and holes? I will order it by myself.

Edited by invait53

16 hours ago, adrian_sa said:

@bg6dt Thanks for the tip, got the backlight working and also applied the VBT mod. What did you do to the IntelIvbGop and IntelSnbGop drivers? Is this from a another machine?

That's great. I am very happy that this is helpful to you. You mean IntelIvbGop and IntelS nbGop drivers?I replaced the new driver with the UBU tool(UBU_v1.71.1).

I am curious to know how your backlight works, panel enable signal and the pwm signal.

Snipaste_2019-10-17_23-50-59.png

Edited by bg6dt

On 10/15/2019 at 9:47 AM, invait53 said:

Okay but can you show here the former of printed circuit board with both sides and with real size and holes? I will order it by myself.

I designed it using kicad software. If you can use this software, I will send you the PCB layout file.

@bg6dt Thank you for PCB layout file. Last things what I want to ask you. Write here detailed instruction how did you apply the VBT mod and replaced the new driver with the UBU tool. Wrire every step because mostly people don't know how to use  Intel BMP Utility or UBU tool. 

On 10/17/2019 at 7:23 AM, adrian_sa said:

Thanks for the tip, got the backlight working and also applied the VBT mod

@adrian_sa The request about instructions for you also.