Hello. I have an hp 2570p and I just upgraded it from i5 2520m to i7 3630qm. Everything went fine, until i reached windows. After reinstalling the windows completely, I installed the drivers. After installing the intel hd 4000 driver i noticed that when I use the laptop on AC power it works just fine, but when I unplug the AC adapter the laptop won't work properly. Aero disables itself, I get display issues, google chrome crashes every page that was opened. I think it is a driver problem or something. Can someone help me with this? I will really appreciate it!

1 hour ago, AndyAndrei said:

Hello. I have an hp 2570p and I just upgraded it from i5 2520m to i7 3630qm. Everything went fine, until i reached windows. After reinstalling the windows completely, I installed the drivers. After installing the intel hd 4000 driver i noticed that when I use the laptop on AC power it works just fine, but when I unplug the AC adapter the laptop won't work properly. Aero disables itself, I get display issues, google chrome crashes every page that was opened. I think it is a driver problem or something. Can someone help me with this? I will really appreciate it!

If that only happens on battery, it sounds that there is weak/faulty power supply from the battery. That might originate in the battery but also somewhere on the power circuitry on the board (VRMs, caps, etc):

Reasons are that when you pull power from the battery, you eventually convert 12V to Vcore, and from PSU you pull 19V, which possibly uses other power circuitry.

As you try to get something rendered, the iGPU gets involved which I have noticed produces quite some load spices, especially on the quad i7s.

Edit: The quad i7 basically uses x2 power than any of the dual-cores

Now that's theory and I don't know how this particular motherboard is organized, and also not quite sure if the whole thing depends on chipset/graphics drivers.

So you can still try a different Windows or Linux version. I don't like to repeat myself too much :)) but I would again suggest the easiest way to be a live Linux USB stick with something like Linux Mint. Just boot from it and you get a ready OS with Intel's drivers to mess with. Open a browser, run some 3D shooter from the store or download FurMark (look for v. 0.7)

Edited by batyanko

I remember many moons ago we tried 3 Thinkpads when they were still IBM. One came in DOA, and the other 2 failed within a year from overheating. We had a similar experience with Dell, including terrible service, so we stayed with HP.  I’m currently looking at a CUK (Computer Upgrade Kings) N950VR. It’s a big, bulky, desktop replacement-type laptop with a desktop processor, the i7-8700. I’m trying to figure out if I could upgrade it to an i9-9900 for even more speed. The socket and the TDP are the same, and it looks like they might be compatible with the same chipset, so I can’t figure out why it wouldn’t work. The problem is they’re not making them anymore, and there’s not many left. An ultra-fast desktop replacement would fit the bill for my needs. They have an internal nVidia 1060 GTX 6GB, but that’s of no consequence to me.

15 hours ago, batyanko said:

If that only happens on battery, it sounds that there is weak/faulty power supply from the battery. That might originate in the battery but also somewhere on the power circuitry on the board (VRMs, caps, etc):

Reasons are that when you pull power from the battery, you eventually convert 12V to Vcore, and from PSU you pull 19V, which possibly uses other power circuitry.

As you try to get something rendered, the iGPU gets involved which I have noticed produces quite some load spices, especially on the quad i7s.

Edit: The quad i7 basically uses x2 power than any of the dual-cores

Now that's theory and I don't know how this particular motherboard is organized, and also not quite sure if the whole thing depends on chipset/graphics drivers.

So you can still try a different Windows or Linux version. I don't like to repeat myself too much :)) but I would again suggest the easiest way to be a live Linux USB stick with something like Linux Mint. Just boot from it and you get a ready OS with Intel's drivers to mess with. Open a browser, run some 3D shooter from the store or download FurMark (look for v. 0.7)

I tried installing Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 and i got a blue screen of death with error code 0xc000021a even if I tried to boot from a windows 10 usb driver, even if I installed windows 10 from windows 7. I think it doesn't have something with the battery, because the low voltage is also present on higher inch xx70p/w batteries. I don't know what is the cause. Also I have the latest bios available version F.73A released on 14 May 2019

Edited by AndyAndrei

Hello again. I played around with the bios and Windows settings and it looks like on battery if I limit the processor to 2 cores and 4 threads it works just fine. Also I think the crash on Windows 10 install was because of the 65w power adapter instead of 90w. I think on battery I will use only 2 cores and 4 threads which is fine. Also i think on battery it does that because of the 45w tdp.

Edit: It looks like the laptop battery cannot handle the 4 core 45w tdp cpus. I think if I had an i7 3632qm or 3612qm I wouldn't have this problem.

Edit 2: I've tested the cpu on other laptop and it seems like it is a defective cpu, so i am so unlucky with this one.

Edited by AndyAndrei

On 8/7/2019 at 11:43 AM, AndyAndrei said:

Hello again. I played around with the bios and Windows settings and it looks like on battery if I limit the processor to 2 cores and 4 threads it works just fine. Also I think the crash on Windows 10 install was because of the 65w power adapter instead of 90w. I think on battery I will use only 2 cores and 4 threads which is fine. Also i think on battery it does that because of the 45w tdp.

Edit: It looks like the laptop battery cannot handle the 4 core 45w tdp cpus. I think if I had an i7 3632qm or 3612qm I wouldn't have this problem.

Yes it is either your laptops specific battery because I have a 45w CPU running fine on battery, but with degraded performance, this leads me to my second point :

Or either, it is because you try to run the CPU at full speed when on battery, because not any laptop of this grade of CPU even in 2019 will run at full speed (as if it is plugged in) without having sudden shutdown issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, juandante said:

Yes it is either your laptops specific battery because I have a 45w CPU running fine on battery, but with degraded performance, this leads me to my second point :

Or either, it is because you try to run the CPU at full speed when on battery, because not any laptop of this grade of CPU even in 2019 will run at full speed (as if it is plugged in) without having sudden shutdown issues.

Can be something from my battery. But I am not trying to run the cpu at full power for sure. Just tried to have a basic use on battery for this laptop, but on this battery it wouldn't let me do that. I have a cousin with the same laptop, maybe I will test his battery to see that. 

52 minutes ago, AndyAndrei said:

Can be something from my battery. But I am not trying to run the cpu at full power for sure. Just tried to have a basic use on battery for this laptop, but on this battery it wouldn't let me do that. I have a cousin with the same laptop, maybe I will test his battery to see that. 

Having a cousin with the same laptop sounds like a fortunate thing :)) You can just try combinations between CPU, battery and laptop (i.e. motherboard) until you narrow it down to one component.

Unfortunately I still imagine this to be faulty board or CPU, as you recently mentioned that you have experienced problems on charger, too. A 65W charger is completely alright even with a 45W quad, as the rest of the laptop is remarkably power-efficient. Also I have played with my 3720QM on one board that totally wouldn't deliver more than 35W - in that case the CPU and iGPU still remained stable, but simply throttled frequency to minimum.

10 hours ago, batyanko said:

Having a cousin with the same laptop sounds like a fortunate thing :)) You can just try combinations between CPU, battery and laptop (i.e. motherboard) until you narrow it down to one component.

Unfortunately I still imagine this to be faulty board or CPU, as you recently mentioned that you have experienced problems on charger, too. A 65W charger is completely alright even with a 45W quad, as the rest of the laptop is remarkably power-efficient. Also I have played with my 3720QM on one board that totally wouldn't deliver more than 35W - in that case the CPU and iGPU still remained stable, but simply throttled frequency to minimum.

Yup, it is interesting to have a cousin with the same laptop :D. But I've seen people couldn't get the 3dmark to run on i7 quad with 65w adapter, simply crashing, so I don't really know if it is something from the motherboard. I don't think it is from the motherboard because I changed the motherboard from 2560p to 2570p on my laptop like a month ago, I will try the battery and the 90w adapter and I will tell you then.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:58 AM, batyanko said:

Also if i use Power supply with 65w when i try to use Windows 10 i get crypto library internal error message which shows that there can be a cpu issue. Maybe i need a 90w Power supply and another battery. I will see in The next days. EDIT: Actually i made some bios settings and used The 65w adapter and never got The crypto library internal error blue screen unless i use The laptop on battery. I will see if with another battery it does The same thing. 

EDIT 2: It looks like i won't get crashes anyone when trying to load a game using egpu with i7 cpu and 65w so i think i don't need anymore a 90w power adapter. Just to see if my cousin's laptop battery doesn't make this thing and i am done with this cpu :D. 

EDIT 3: It seems that if I changed the battery it won't let me use all the 4 cores of the cpu in the battery, so maybe it can't draw that much power from the battery. I think that is because of the power a quad cpu uses. So, I am stuck with only 2 cores on battery.

Edited by AndyAndrei

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2570p with 45W quad and 65W charger, and *when the battery is fully charged* I can easily run any 3DMark or heavy Excel sheets, 100 Google Chrome tabs or video conversion. No problem. The laptop simply throttles but because of heat (100°C for the CPU in ThrottleStop). I don't know where you read that 45W quad and 65W makes the 2570p crash but this is bullshit. My laptop throttles only because of heat, not because of the charger. When it is "cold" for example after sleep then wake, the CPU runs at full multiplier until the temps reach 100°C.

I recall that even with a 45W quad, the CPU is BIOS-power limited to something like 40W for the 45W quad (not 45W). Benchmark showed that the lask 5W is mainly for the integrated GPU in the 45W quad. So any 45W CPU will run at fullspeed if you don't use the GPU, and at least if the cooling system is OK (or the 2570p case is cold, I observed that the case slows down the CPU building temperature pretty much a lot).

I doubt that you have a CPU problem, this is very very rare, but it could happen. Same for the mobo, but it could be. I think it must be the battery

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2019 at 11:25 PM, juandante said:

I recall that even with a 45W quad, the CPU is BIOS-power limited to something like 40W for the 45W quad (not 45W). Benchmark showed that the lask 5W is mainly for the integrated GPU in the 45W quad. So any 45W CPU will run at fullspeed if you don't use the GPU, and at least if the cooling system is OK (or the 2570p case is cold, I observed that the case slows down the CPU building temperature pretty much a lot).

I doubt that you have a CPU problem, this is very very rare, but it could happen. Same for the mobo, but it could be. I think it must be the battery

I am not sure, can be a cpu problem but how Lucky could i be to get a problematic cpu? Not really sure about that. Maybe it is a motherboard problem but The motherboard seems ok. I tried with another battery and it does The same thing. Have you tried The latest bios with The quad? I updated The laptop to The latest bios. Can be a bios thing but i am not sure If i can downgrade The bios. 

Edit: It seems like my cpu is defective after using it on other laptops. So i am very unlucky with this cpu.

Edited by AndyAndrei

New user reporting in.
Even though I haven't received 2570p in my hands yet, i'm curious, is anyone tried an socket eDP mod? Since eDP is coming right from CPU and it's socketed in this model, there is not too much trouble to achieve it without loss of docking station functionality. One trouble is inversion schematic for eDP_HPD signal, but theoretically that input can be permanently soldered to vtt or gnd.
There are 3 variants:
1. just solder wires under the socket - if corresponding eDP pads exist on the other side of the motherboard;
2. place wires between socket and CPU, with inserting copper leads in the socket pits or making a lasso around corresponding CPU pins with it;
3. unsolder these pins from the CPU and solder wires to the CPU instead - very hard and compromise variant, actual in case when pins not hang in the air as described in schematic for the 2560p.

Yup, this is theory, but chances to get it to work are pretty big i think.

Also question for @adrian_sa, how do you set the PWM freq in the bios? Since bios unwhitelisting method is revealed, it's possible to make some good bios mods and fixes.

some nb:

some nb.png

2570p:

2570.png

Edited by MioIV
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, guys. I've successfully managed to get an unwhitelisted BIOS from F40 just according to @adrian_sa reference, and also shrinked the MEI firmware. There is two things to notice:
1. use UEFITool (non- NE Alpha -version) to drop unnecessary modules, and Andy's Tool to determine what modules is needed to be dropped. Last one reads module names better, but first one rebuilds modified image correctly.
2. Internal programming is impossible at this moment, since even after descriptor overrided there are some locked regions remains. But, forget about it - if you flash broken image, laptop will turn into aluminium brick. It even will not turn on. External programmer is needed in any case.

But well, i'm not interested in a loss of bunch of time when trying to get mSATA to work by replacing modules from similar platforms. I've built coreboot with platform config modification - just replaced 0x33 for 'sata_port_map' to 0x3f in 'devicetree.cb' file for our notebook. And - yup - it works, mSATA is binded to the SATA port2, correct value is 0x37. If someone want to make it usable just as ASPM was done - you may use setpci and this file for reference, but more work than just 'setpci -s 0:1f.2 92.w=8337' need to be done there. Full SATA reinitialization in most difficult case.

Edited by MioIV
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/8/2019 at 10:30 AM, MioIV said:

But well, i'm not interested in a loss of bunch of time when trying to get mSATA to work by replacing modules from similar platforms. I've built coreboot with platform config modification - just replaced 0x33 for 'sata_port_map' to 0x3f in 'devicetree.cb' file for our notebook. And - yup - it works, mSATA is binded to the SATA port2, correct value is 0x37. If someone want to make it usable just as ASPM was done - you may use setpci and this file for reference, but more work than just 'setpci -s 0:1f.2 92.w=8337' need to be done there. Full SATA reinitialization in most difficult case.

Hello, everybody. I've done this work by an other way. I was thinking about how to replace WWAN to mSATA. I soldered ways SATA ODD with WWAN socket. But for DWD RW I soldered ways from eSATA COMBO. 

2019-09-15_202019.thumb.jpg.3574eaab2daff91fcba3cdd9808a881d.jpg

2019-09-15_202435.thumb.jpg.d23c309f9a61ca5b29a2fd11e0a3d955.jpg

On the photo:

20190915_194328.thumb.jpg.9c67a30e5fd783323c5b361b932cc0bf.jpg

If the BIOS will turn off a WWAN socket you just solder the jumper on transistor:

20190714_193546.thumb.jpg.9982ed0bb45a36cb03f02303f175dd08.jpg 

The Windows installed on SSD, HDD just for files and I put back the DVD RW.

20190915_193406.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Just done messing up with bios write protection.

PchBiosWriteProtect
BIOS lock
00 B2 FE 48 81 C1 DC => 00 B2 FF 48 81 C1 DC
SMI lock
00 B2 20 48 81 C1 DC => 00 B2 00 48 81 C1 DC
PchSpiRuntime
00 00 B2 FE B9 DC 80 => 00 00 B2 FF B9 DC 80

Checked on ther F.73 bios version.
Unfortunately, in F.73 bios FDO hotkey is banned - nb just turns off right after start, so additional flash descriptor region edit is needed.
Here is patched bios section binary for your needs. It contains: no WWAN/WLAN/Bluetooth whitelist, no SecureUpdating module, no CompuTrace modules, BIOS lock removed, no_ASPM_bit in FACP is reset. No NVRAM.

How to flash:

1. Get a full dump of your stock bios, make a backup
  2. Extract the NVRAM section from it with UEFITool (BIOS Region => FFF12B8D-7696..., Extract as is)
  3. In hex editor open the full dump and replace bios section, start address 0xB00000 ($LOGO string)
  4. Replace the NVRAM section with yours in UEFITool (Replace as is)
  5. Edit FDT at address 0x60
00 00 0B 0A 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08 08 => 00 00 FF FF 00 00 FF FF 18 01 FF FF

And flash it with hardware programmer.

Possible issues: don't know why WIn8.1 boots too long, because of edited bios, shrinked MEI or just because it can.

As for mSATA, i'm not succeed at this time, maybe later. If someone want to try search where is satacontroller is initialized, here is the list with modules that different between 2570p and 8770w (don't checked bios versions though).

2570-8770 module diff list.zip

Edited by MioIV
  • Thumbs Up 2

Is someone there have a dead battery for our laptop? I have a semi-failing battery (works fine but drops to 0% from 18-20%) and planning to replace cells with Samsung 35e. I've noticed that battery pack controller on Elitebooks less strict than most of ic's coming in batteries for consumer notebooks, there is no charging cycle counter and no wearing control, battery parameters are freely recalculating in both sides at everyday use, but will it get selflock when at least one cell is fully dead and no voltage remains on it or at least effective battery capacity is enough for 5 minutes of autonomous work?

On 9/16/2019 at 2:22 AM, MioIV said:

Just done messing up with bios write protection.

PchBiosWriteProtect
BIOS lock
00 B2 FE 48 81 C1 DC => 00 B2 FF 48 81 C1 DC
SMI lock
00 B2 20 48 81 C1 DC => 00 B2 00 48 81 C1 DC
PchSpiRuntime
00 00 B2 FE B9 DC 80 => 00 00 B2 FF B9 DC 80

Checked on ther F.73 bios version.
Unfortunately, in F.73 bios FDO hotkey is banned - nb just turns off right after start, so additional flash descriptor region edit is needed.
Here is patched bios section binary for your needs. It contains: no WWAN/WLAN/Bluetooth whitelist, no SecureUpdating module, no CompuTrace modules, BIOS lock removed, no_ASPM_bit in FACP is reset. No NVRAM.

How to flash:

1. Get a full dump of your stock bios, make a backup
  2. Extract the NVRAM section from it with UEFITool (BIOS Region => FFF12B8D-7696..., Extract as is)
  3. In hex editor open the full dump and replace bios section, start address 0xB00000 ($LOGO string)
  4. Replace the NVRAM section with yours in UEFITool (Replace as is)
  5. Edit FDT at address 0x60

00 00 0B 0A 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08 08 => 00 00 FF FF 00 00 FF FF 18 01 FF FF

And flash it with hardware programmer.

Possible issues: don't know why WIn8.1 boots too long, because of edited bios, shrinked MEI or just because it can.

As for mSATA, i'm not succeed at this time, maybe later. If someone want to try search where is satacontroller is initialized, here is the list with modules that different between 2570p and 8770w (don't checked bios versions though).

2570-8770 module diff list.zip

Pretty, I would like to help but don't know any thing about modding UEFI firmwares. Thus, I am not sure there is need to put efforts into enabling mSATA cards, this technology is pretty much dead. I will prefer invest bucks into a standard SATA drive that I can easily connect in another computer than a mSATA. Nevertheless, the no whitelist is very sweet and good. Thank you.

13 hours ago, juandante said:

Pretty, I would like to help but don't know any thing about modding UEFI firmwares. Thus, I am not sure there is need to put efforts into enabling mSATA cards, this technology is pretty much dead. I will prefer invest bucks into a standard SATA drive that I can easily connect in another computer than a mSATA. Nevertheless, the no whitelist is very sweet and good. Thank you.

mSATA expansion is interesting feature not because its something unusual but its offers additional storage space without need in replace main storage or use external storage with this notebook. Even if this technology is dead, **70p series that not much worse than modern businessbooks (except display) can be upgraded with this particular type of storage.  In addition, mSATA SSDs now popular primarily on classified market with affordable price, that OEM samsung drives is exceptionally tasty offers.

@Onoakino Sorry, but i don't have time for video records. When i'll get some free time I can make full image from F.34 dump if it's full, but if you guys is not ok with same serials then nvram still needs to be replaced.

@invait53 did you check disk SMART's for interface errors? I've got DMA errors and fallback to 3.0Gb-mode on much shorter cables in times when i don't have internal SATA adapter.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:12 PM, MioIV said:

I've got DMA errors and fallback to 3.0Gb-mode on much shorter cables in times when i don't have internal SATA adapter.

I had the same problem. I tryed to solder wires from LVDS cable and it was working with 3.0Gb-mode. Finally I bought the SATA extention HP DV7-7000 DV6-7000 and took SATA wires from that extention. mSATA SSD works with 6.0Gb-mode. I think that in the SATA cable wires are special. 

2019-09-21_230024.jpg.14a6e5f25250d59c53147d94c907581a.jpg

Edited by invait53

On 9/20/2019 at 2:12 PM, MioIV said:

mSATA expansion is interesting feature not because its something unusual but its offers additional storage space without need in replace main storage or use external storage with this notebook. Even if this technology is dead, **70p series that not much worse than modern businessbooks (except display) can be upgraded with this particular type of storage.  In addition, mSATA SSDs now popular primarily on classified market with affordable price, that OEM samsung drives is exceptionally tasty offers.

@Onoakino Sorry, but i don't have time for video records. When i'll get some free time I can make full image from F.34 dump if it's full, but if you guys is not ok with same serials then nvram still needs to be replaced.

@invait53 did you check disk SMART's for interface errors? I've got DMA errors and fallback to 3.0Gb-mode on much shorter cables in times when i don't have internal SATA adapter.

If the mSATA replaces the 3G card well this can be more interesting. But if it replaces the WiFi card, the problem with mSATA on the 2570p is that there is one port already occuped by this important WiFi card so not possible. Anyway, I really hardly see myself spending money on an mSATA because the last time I searched 6 months ago, as mSATA is a "niche" card, it was more expensive than a standard big sized SATA drive so I could have a big size SATA drive with more storage than buying a small SATA drive + mSATA. But, one question, can you do a software RAID with mSATA and SATA ? If it is the case, this can become pretty much interesting, but we have to bare in mind that the CD drive on the 2570p can be replaced to have a second SATA drive, so maybe we could do some RAID0+1 or somthing like this. Anyway, thank you for this very interesting mod that we have been waiting since years... =b

15 hours ago, juandante said:

But, one question, can you do a software RAID with mSATA and SATA ?

Yes, of course I can do RAID. The difference between mSATA and SATA is a formfactor only. That's why i did my mod. If I will use RAID I will still have the free caddy.

2019-09-27_211743.thumb.jpg.0343053975828fd7667a0463540e9c25.jpg

Edited by invait53

11 hours ago, invait53 said:

Yes, of course I can do RAID. The difference between mSATA and SATA is a formfactor only. That's why i did my mod. If I will use RAID I will still have the free caddy.

2019-09-27_211743.thumb.jpg.0343053975828fd7667a0463540e9c25.jpg

Yes but no, there is no need to have a free cady for the sake of having a free cady. First you gain only few grams if it is a weight problem so this is pointless. The only useful thing with the mSATA is either RAID0+1, for high resilience, but a laptop with high resilience if pointless,

or either having a 2TB hard drive and a high performance (800 to 1000 mb/s) RAID0 drive of SATA, this could be interesting. But you have still not told us about this question, is your drive in the WiFi slot or on the WWAN slot ?

If you have 16Gb RAM, I recommend you to download the very old and known software "PrimoCache" it is a software to increase the cache of the SSDs (or HDDs) in using free RAM on the machine, so I have "RAM-like" speeds when loading some files (8 Gb/s for sequential read see benchs below).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2018 hiyohiyo
                          Crystal Dew World : https://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :  8450.388 MB/s
  Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :  6711.163 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q=  8,T= 8) :  1464.376 MB/s [ 357513.7 IOPS]
 Random Write 4KiB (Q=  8,T= 8) :  1273.470 MB/s [ 310905.8 IOPS]
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :   412.207 MB/s [ 100636.5 IOPS]
 Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :   471.074 MB/s [ 115008.3 IOPS]
  Random Read 4KiB (Q=  1,T= 1) :   444.689 MB/s [ 108566.7 IOPS]
 Random Write 4KiB (Q=  1,T= 1) :   413.750 MB/s [ 101013.2 IOPS]

Test : 100 MiB [C: 60.9% (72.2/118.6 GiB)] (x1)  [Interval=5 sec]
  Date : 2019/09/27 20:25:04

PS : I have a mSATA drive on a standard SATA adapter in my 2570p so I could do the same screenshot as you without the BIOS mod ^^

Edited by juandante