IMG-20190317-002333.jpg

IMG-20190317-003632.jpg

This is my 1080p IPS mod, still have a lot to do but most importantly the panel works great. Maybe I should get a panel with a bent PCB so that it fits better. The DisplayPort is rerouted from the docking port to panel via a cable from AliExpress.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, adrian_sa said:

IMG-20190317-002333.jpg

IMG-20190317-003632.jpg

This is my 1080p IPS mod, still have a lot to do but most importantly the panel works great. Maybe I should get a panel with a bent PCB so that it fits better. The DisplayPort is rerouted from the docking port to panel via a cable from AliExpress.

Wow, so nice ) What happens if you connect an external monitor to displayport, is it work ? and leave link to adapter and ips panel please

Edited by Phobosse

looks like a lot of work well done, what else did you do to the lil laptop to kick it into high performance territory? processor upgrade? ram? solid state drive???

can you get a bezel on it and actually close it?

11 hours ago, mikmaze said:

looks like a lot of work well done, what else did you do to the lil laptop to kick it into high performance territory? processor upgrade? ram? solid state drive???

can you get a bezel on it and actually close it?

I got a i7-3630QM but only 4GB RAM and the stock 500GB HDD. I will certainly update to 8 or 16GB later down the road, for now I'm concentrating on the hardware mods. The panel I used is a BOE NV125FHM-N62, but I used just because I had it laying around from my ThinkPad X250 which I upgraded to 13.3". http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist.php?st=&pl=&sizes[]=1250&resolution_pixels=8180

Here is a list of 1080p panels that could fit probably, you still have to double check the dimensions. 

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bGMJQ8aM This is the cable I used, I cut the header and soldered the high-speed pairs directly to the motherboard. There are via from which you can scrape of the PCB solder mask. I will post a longer explanation later on. IMG-20190317-213351.jpg

Here is picture with a second 1440p DP monitor. The biggest problem currently is that I can't get the BIOS screen to show up on the new display.

Edited by adrian_sa
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, adrian_sa said:

The biggest problem currently is that I can't get the BIOS screen to show up on the new display.

Just connect the second monitor to VGA socket.

Edited by invait53

I cleaned up the wiring and modified the lid so the panel fits now but it's still a bit to tall. Brightness control works good. I also tried compiling Coreboot but I'm getting just a blank screen, I will try to fiddle a bit with the video settings.IMG-20190321-001152.jpgIMG-20190321-001133.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Commpletly IMPRESSIVE. I am curious to know how you did.

My biggest problem with the 2560p tho was not the screen res, because I could plug it on 2 external displays. It was the so dull/ugly color screen, but this mod will fix the 2 problems in one shot.

Not been on this forum since I dont remember when.Went thru modded 2560 and then to the 2570. Been running 2570 for 3+ years i7 3632 on win 7. Bought 2nd 2570 three months ago and running both rigs no problems same configuration.Updated both BIOS and went to Win 10.Set up newer machine on win 10 first and imaged to the older machine. 2days later I get lock screen Absolute Software/Pole Position/Lanrev on both machines.Houston number on lock screen to call (on a 7 year old machine??) Calling Absolute in Vancouver Canada got me. "Both machines are showing up on 1 machines account) and that I gotta figure it out for myself as they consider both machines stolen. Anyone ever experience this?? How could two machines this old all of a sudden get stolen?? Im 72 and my ol head cant handle this. Any of you young wizards got a handle on this.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:04 PM, extreme1 said:

Not been on this forum since I dont remember when.Went thru modded 2560 and then to the 2570. Been running 2570 for 3+ years i7 3632 on win 7. Bought 2nd 2570 three months ago and running both rigs no problems same configuration.Updated both BIOS and went to Win 10.Set up newer machine on win 10 first and imaged to the older machine. 2days later I get lock screen Absolute Software/Pole Position/Lanrev on both machines.Houston number on lock screen to call (on a 7 year old machine??) Calling Absolute in Vancouver Canada got me. "Both machines are showing up on 1 machines account) and that I gotta figure it out for myself as they consider both machines stolen. Anyone ever experience this?? How could two machines this old all of a sudden get stolen?? Im 72 and my ol head cant handle this. Any of you young wizards got a handle on this.

I'd contact whoever it was you purchased the most recent laptop off of. 

If you're trying to remove an asset security suite I'm not too sure on the legality and you may need to look elsewhere (google might throw up some suggestions) for answers.

Good luck!

Edited by Squid00
Came off too harshly

Alright, Hi guys, been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks as I bought a couple of 2570p motherboards to frankenbuild some headless computers to run a budget homelab.. 

They both worked more of less straight off the bat with newly fitted i7 3630qm's and ssd's preinstalled with win10. Off topic, the audio chipset on this board sounds a grade higher than most laptops I've had or have had, which is a bonus.

Anyway, the one problem I am having is that I cannot get the bios to show on an external monitor. Someone a few posts up suggested plugging in VGA cable, but that hasn't worked either. Nothing will display until after I've booted into windows.

I also tried to blindly set boot options with the hopes of landing in a ubuntu live USB, but with no luck.

̶I̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶n̶e̶r̶o̶s̶i̶t̶y̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶v̶d̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶n̶e̶l̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶p̶l̶u̶g̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶,̶ ̶(̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶u̶m̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶l̶u̶g̶)̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ s̶e̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶o̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶e̶r̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶i̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶p̶u̶t̶s̶?̶ ̶I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶t̶h̶o̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶p̶t̶o̶p̶s̶.̶

Update: @Valera Master also has a headless 2570p and can see the bios with just a vga cable attached.

would be great to get passed this hurdle, so I can start I can start setting up a nas, and even mess around with an egpu.

thanks for any help in advance.

Edited by Squid00

1 hour ago, Squid00 said:

If someone has the time, and the generosity, could you try unconnected the lvds cable from the panel but leaving it plugged into motherboard, (almost like a dummy plug) and see if you're able to get the bios to show on an external monitor on any of the inputs? I've had success with this method on other laptops.

Hello. I have 2560p, and this working with VGA cable without LVDS

vga.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Valera Master said:

Hello. I have 2560p, and this working with VGA cable without LVDS "...

Wow, thanks for that Valera.

Did you have to press any keys to get it to switch, or did it just work? I wonder what I'm doing wrong...

5 hours ago, Valera Master said:

yes

Do you know if the lvds cable is attached at the motherboard? Or has it been removed?

I can't get the bios to show for love nor money, and the only way I can boot into a live USB is if I remove the sata drives. The problem there is I want to use gparted to repartition my drives. 

Does anyone know if there's a function key for turning off the display? 

Is there a guide somewhere with the bios menus? I've tried to boot from USB blind with esc -> f9 -> down down enter, but I always end up booting into windows.

any suggestions appreciated!

Tested on a 2570p without a screen panel and lid frame. The only way to power up the external monitor ports is to use a small magnet placed on the upper side above the keyboard. I do not remember left or right, but surely near the buttons.  This is a way to trigger the lid close sensor to activate a "lid close"  hardware command. Then the system switches to external immediately. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, istinnstudio said:

Tested on a 2570p without a screen panel and lid frame. The only way to power up the external monitor ports is to use a small magnet placed on the upper side above the keyboard. I do not remember left or right, but surely near the buttons.  This is a way to trigger the lid close sensor to activate a "lid close"  hardware command. Then the system switches to external immediately. 

Thanks for this. I'm running chassis-less, so I have a bare motherboard. I will look to see if I can find the lid sensor! 

5 hours ago, Squid00 said:

I haven't had any luck finding the the hall (lid) sensor on the motherboard.

Could anyone tell me where the magnet is located on the screen bezel? Thanks in advance!

On the right side top side, the 3 hotkeys.

Done some VBT modding today, I can now get the BIOS screen via VGA and HDMI always. The added eDP panel that's connected to the dock still shows no boot screen and there is no picture output via the DP port. I will try disabling the LVDS tomorrow.IMG-20190401-231657.jpgIMG-20190401-231657.jpgIMG-20190401-231657.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, mikmaze said:

looks good, limited to those display settings by the monitor? I am at 2560 x 1440 on mine as recommended in display settings.

Mine monitor is also 1440p but I think that the VGA and HDMI outputs are limited to max 1920*1200p60. I will try disabling LVDS because the BIOS recognizes my monitor but it doesn't display anything, maybe one on the pipes are used by LVDS.

IMG-20190406-184957.jpg

At last success :frantics: I took the VBT boot screen table from the X230 and also set the boot mode to UEFI with CSM, pure UEFI doesn't work for some reason. I also changed the default LVDS resolution to 1080p and also the BL PWM frequency to 2000Hz. The display works in clone mode now.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, adrian_sa said:

IMG-20190406-184957.jpg

At last success :frantics: I took the VBT boot screen table from the X230 and also set the boot mode to UEFI with CSM, pure UEFI doesn't work for some reason. I also changed the default LVDS resolution to 1080p and also the BL PWM frequency to 2000Hz. The display works in clone mode now.

Perfect laptop doesn't exi.....

That's awesome )