no idea, thought it might lock it there instead of dropping, never used the bench before, 38 is the max clock multiplier available, hoped it would hold it for all cores during the bench.   TS was acting weird, so I  removed it and any trace of it,  from the computer, seemed it was holding values that I tried and not reverting back.

11 hours ago, mikmaze said:

I am running insider builds for windows 10, latest bios/ drivers for everything.    Yup, dual channel, 2 8 gig sticks,  nice fast ssd as well which should have nothing to do with this test.   laptop case is closed,  arctic silver 5 is on there, base of cooler wa hit with 1000 grit paper.   room temp about 68 degrees F. and it is almost 2.3 seconds faster.   

It is more like 1.7-1.8 seconds of difference because my "best score" is below. This is still very high for a 4% increase in frequency, nevertheless, without all those maths, the benchmarks seems in agreement, so both our systems should be running OK. Yours is faster, mine a little bit less faster, this was not the case for XTU benchmark. The only real issue I see is my temps because I easily hit 104 degres mark. I will repaste when I have time.

I wonder for the 3940xm.

I agree that it is unfortunate that we can't overclock...

7 hours ago, Onoakino said:

@mikmaze @juandante

May I ask what's the purpose of setting the multiplier by 38T?

I have i7 3612QM. What multiplier should I set it to before starting TS Bench? Thank you.

On laptops, it is the maximum multiplier that the CPU will have access to, but the CPU frequency will not be locked at this value. OEMs for laptops force CPUs to dynamically reduce the frequency even if setting the maximum multiplier because of heat. If you want best benchmark scores, crank up the maximum multiplier, for best battery, crank it down. You must set it to the max before starting the benchmark.
I think if you remove the setting, the default maximum multiplier will be those that Intel statted, but I always set it at the max to be sure.

On a desktop computer, the CPU will not dynamically reduce its frequency, but the temps will rise as hell, I am at 30 degs, and when I lock the multiplier I go way up to 60 degs on my desktop PC.

Side note : Throttlestop will not apply any settings if you don't turn it on with the "Turn On" button, the benchmark is independent from Throttlestop and will not turn anything on, it will just run the benchmark.

Edited by juandante

I miss unlocked bios, I had a watercooled rig for years with an MO stepping 2.8 mhz chip, that thing chugged along with ease at 3.57 mhz, even ran it as a seti rig never overheating and stable as heck, memory timings quick, all this new memory today has embarrassing timing levels compared to the slower older ram.   I would love to have that rig back up and running with an SSD drive just for the sheer speed of it.    Getting to that point tho was hairy, nerve wracking work, the no boot hangs, the no post, crash and burn, hope it survives......   at times struggling to make a bios screen........ o the fun.

Juan, why do you think the XTU scores are so different?  can you get a hold of an identical stick of ram and go to dual channel see if that helps? might be all it takes?

Edited by mikmaze

ok, seems like I am talking to my self, but I have a new issue, not huge, but annoying as heck.     Screen saver set to 30 minutes,  hibernate never, sleep set to 15 minutes of inactivity... but, after just over 2 minutes, this damn rig is shutting down.     pita,  looked, read, changed settings, no luck,   still running latest insider build, and even updated intel display drivers again yesterday, still no luck.    wakes from keyboard input, but who wants that delay every few minutes. only way it won't shut down is if there is a video playing, youtube vid runs without the unit shutting down into sleep mode.

Sounds like perhaps what’s keepin it from shutting down is a setting I saw somewhere about not rebooting to finish loading updates if there is an app open in full screen? Just a possibility I thought of. And if it had an update that wouldn’t finish loading, or that it thought wasn’t finished, it might be ignoring all other settings but that one. Just an idea that popped in there...hope it helps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks John, but not the case.    seems there is a trick to getting it to stop.   In my setup, I have the lappy sitting closed on my desk and have wireless keyboard, mouse, and 28 inch 4k monitor on display port so I never use the keyboard on the lappy.    Seems the trick is that when the lappy goes to sleep, you need to wake it using the power button on the lappy, then it goes back to a normal/ respect power saving settings for sleep,    took a lot of reading to figure it out, it din't make sense, still doesn't make sense, but seems to work.

As I said, it does not have anything to do with power saving settings, it is an error that happens after the laptop restarts, it just did it again, 2 minutes and wham, it went to sleep.  It hadn't happened since I woke it via laptop power button untill just now and the comp had restarted after another insider build release.    bothersome, but at least I know the "fix"

On 1/11/2019 at 6:56 AM, Onoakino said:

Just putting this ThrottleStop result here for comparison purposes.

i7 3612QM

16GB Samsung RAM in dual-channel mode

500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD

Windows 10

Capture.JPG

Yes your results are good, according to the benchmarks posted ealier.

Your CPU is maxing out at about 90°C, this is close to mine with 95+ °C, knowing that my CPU 3820QM is supposed to be hotter 45W TPD and yours 35W TDP.

For the 3840QM, I still wonder how he maxes out at 90°C. We must also consider that some CPUs are more efficient than other, although on mobile CPUs and Xeon Servers CPUs this is not supposed to be as different

Anyway, there is one visible thing, is that we can see the difference in performance up to a 3840qm on the 2570p, so if someone have the money he can buy a 3840qm and gain few seconds (few percents) in his tasks. I am not very sure that the price difference will justify the performance gain, so it is best to get the CPUs at the lowest price possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll stay with version 14xx. It's not broke so I ain't fixing it. :)

I'm afraid we are the only ones left using this amazing piece of hardware from the dark ages. :D Methinks everbody has moved to thin and ultralight form-factor laptops already. 

On 2/5/2019 at 9:46 AM, mikmaze said:

yawn, just updated to version 1903 through insiders program, seems good so far.    doesn't anybody still care about the might 2570p?

I updated to 1903 too and webcamera doesn't work well. The picture of the camera isn't colored. Can you check that?

The problem is solved. I installed the old driver sp66054 HP Universal Camera Driver v5.00.

But anyway the camera with Skype doesn't work.

Edited by invait53

Hello everybody. I install the Dual Band Wireless-AC 9260NGW NGFF 1.73Gbps 802.11ac WiFi Card+Bluetooth 5.0. It works perfect.

My previous card was BCM94360HMB but bluetooth was working very bad. If I connected Bluetooth speakers or headphones it always lagging or disconnecting.  I bought the NGFF to Mini PCI-E Adapter and 9260NGW card.

1996855077_MicrosoftWord1.thumb.jpg.ca3c4f3eee4da9fa2d95054535a79631.jpg

565244752_MicrosoftWord2__1.thumb.jpg.70395a1877bd74d30ee852e950676119.jpg

I cut the fastening on one side by a needle file. 

55 minutes ago, mikmaze said:

does it seem a bit faster?

I don't have wi-fi router 1.73Gbps to check that. I did that upgrade because of bluetooth. For that mod I used the broken needle file and manual bench vice. Now wi-fi + bluetooth work very well, without lags or disconnections.

20190212_214654.thumb.jpg.0419db8a89508d5b8cb98e814721277d.jpg

Edited by invait53

Nice job @invait53! Mine is an AC with Bluetooth too. Haven't tested the speed yet bec my wifi router not an AC. My BT mouse (elecom) works on both my OSes. However, pairing my generic bt speaker with my hackintosh Sierra is unsuccessful. This escapes me. Why does my elecom bt mouse pair with my hack, but refuses to pair (continuous connect/disconnect) with a generic bt speaker? 

OffTopic: I love this laptop to bits now. Eversince the SSD upgrade, boot time has significantly improved. It uswd to take me 45 secs up to a minute to boot when I was still using HDD, now it takes me to win10 login in 8 secs, hackintosh sierra in under 10. Yay! Plus, I'm no longer scared of accidental bumps that may damage the hard drive, because  hey, no moving parts any more! :D

10 hours ago, Onoakino said:

Why does my elecom bt mouse pair with my hack, but refuses to pair (continuous connect/disconnect) with a generic bt speaker? 

@Onoakino, I have the same problem with BTspeakers. Usually I plug BTspeaker with 3.5 jack and after when speacer said connection is done unplug that jack. After that the BT speaker connect to laptop normally. No need another end of jack plug to laptop. I have three BT headphones, they are working well. And the BT mouse Elecom M-BT13BLBK works good too. 

OffTopic.

@Onoakino, good weather on the Philippines now. I enjoy that. 

• Thumbs Up 1