The whitelist mod works with removing the modules works

IMG-20181203-130315.jpg

IMG-20181203-172841.jpg

USB of the WWAN slot works but PCIe part doesn't work, it has to be enable in software probably. I also tried enabling mSATA, I replaced the PlatformSetup DXE module with the one from the 8770w, I see the mSATA setting in BIOS but the setting doesn't stick after reboot.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Onoakino said:

@adrian_sa please continue your great work. I hope you would be successful in enabling the m.2 slot of wwan. 

Also, can you please link the website where you found the info about whitelist modding? Thanks

Here is the link https://forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1751735&mobile=2

The PCIe part could be probably enabled by chainloading Windows. WWAN cards typically use only USB so you can stick a 4G card in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Matd said:

Sorry if it's been asked before, but has anyone managed to find an HD screen that fits and works in a 2570p? If so, can you please tell me the make and model?

Thanks.

By HD, you mean 1080p? I don't think there's one for 2570p. From what I understood from a couple of posts back, the latest mod for the screen is still for 720p resolution, only that the screen is made with different technology resulting in better viewing angles. 

I put an Intel 3940xm in mine and it works great. Being an Intel Extreme processor, it is tunable using Intel’s Extreme Tuning Utility, (ETU), a free download. IETU confirms that the 3940xm is under-volted at boot. But the utility’s built in stability test proves that it’s stable. It did hit 103-104 degrees Celsius a few times during this intense testing, but it thermal-throttled itself 3-4 times in 5 minutes, and was still stable. I bought a laptop cooling pad with stereo speakers built in for better sound, and an external vacuum fan. This combo kept the CPU temps down around 85 degrees Celsius during the test. I like 80 degrees better, so I limited the Turbo-Boost to 3.2GHz. I replaced the DVD drive with a Blu-Ray and used my new laptop to digitize my entire collection of DVD and Blu-Ray movies, running it constantly for about 2-months, using MakeMKV and the extremely CPU-intensive Handbrake. During normal computing, not gaming, the CPU runs between 40-60 degrees Celsius with just the built-in heat sink and fan. Hope this helps someone.

Update: I was also able to get a Samsung 860 PRO 4TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76P4T0BW) [$950 on Cyber Monday] to work. I had trouble getting the original 256GB SSD with Windows 10 and a 500MB System Patition 1, ~200GB C: Partition 2, 850MB Recovery Partiton 3 to expand Partition 2 past 2TB with CloneZilla even though I set the BIOS to UEFI hybrid, converted it to GPT disk, and MBR2GPT in Windows PE. I was finally able to use Parted Magic to move Recovery Partition 3 to the end, past the unused portion, then expand Partition 2 C: to ~3.8TB. Also put in a Intel 7260 802.11AC. Now I have the compact, fast (i7-3940xm runs about like a modern i7-7700HQ), portable video machine with built-in Blu-Ray drive that I wanted. Really didn’t want external BR. Extra USB3.0, 1394b, and HDMI ExpressCards complete the package. I may look at cooling mods and will keep watching the BIOS hacks with great interest as that’s where my expertise ends. Thanks guys. Hope this helps someone. Happy modding.

Edited by John Entwistle
Thanks mikmaze
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2018 at 3:44 AM, Onoakino said:

Dumb question, is there a possibility to use m.2 ssd now given the development on disabling the firmware whitelist? 

No, I messed a few days with BIOS but could enable the SATA lanes. The WWAN whitelist works so you can now use any 3G/4G miniPCIe WWAN module.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2018 at 2:16 AM, John Entwistle said:

You can't load ThrottleStop or any other utility like it when you have Intel Extreme Tuning Utility installed, and there's really no reason to when they pretty much do the same thing. Just for you, I ran a 5-minute stress test with only my cooling pad fan on, no external vacuum filter or fan. I'm attaching it and the benchmark test.

IETU5minCPonly.jpg

Intel XTU.jpg

It seems that your 3940xm is 50% more powerful than my 3820qm which is simply impossible.

You have 599 points and I have 410. First, due to the known maximum power output of 40w of the 2570p it is impossible that you run with such results.

Even in considering that I overclock my 3820 qm at the frequencies of the 3940xm (which is impossible because oc is impossible on the 2570p), I will still not get 50% more points and jump to 599.

I seriously doubt you get such results.

22 hours ago, juandante said:

It seems that your 3940xm is 50% more powerful than my 3820qm which is simply impossible.

You have 599 points and I have 410. First, due to the known maximum power output of 40w of the 2570p it is impossible that you run with such results.

Even in considering that I overclock my 3820 qm at the frequencies of the 3940xm (which is impossible because oc is impossible on the 2570p), I will still not get 50% more points and jump to 599.

I seriously doubt you get such results.

I actually had it Underclocked at 30x Turbo-boost when I ran that Benchmark because when I repeated the Stress Test, that took care of the Thermal Throttling for now. Taking that limitation off, I got 626 Marks. I *think* I’ve seen higher than that before, but I don’t remember for sure to be honest. I now have my 2570 loaded with Microsoft Office Pro Plus and Visio, ($15 each through my company), one of Microsoft’s Screen Savers, and I’m trying out Cyberlink’s Media Suite. I’m not sure if they slow down the test results, but Man, does Cyberlink ever take over your PC with all kinds of Desktop Icons and other Shortcuts, including additions to File Manager. I really don’t like that kind of thing, and I’m glad I Imaged my laptop before I installed it. Who trusts Uninstalls? My Screen Saver did change my picture while running the test.

Juandante, I’m an honest person, and I would NEVER post dishonest results, especially on a forum where what I share might influence what someone spends their money on. I have no cause. I bought a 2570 because I had a 2560 in my old job and loved it. I did a lot of shopping around other brands and newer laptops, and I just couldn’t find anything I liked better, small, with an Internal Optical Drive. I found a i7-3940xm on the cheap, and after reading what Intel says about undervolting, decided to take my chances. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend someone else follow my example. Maybe I got an exceptionally good CPU, and/or maybe there’s some luck involved. It is a New CPU, if that matters. But I would think that running it for a solid 2 months, (probably close to 3), 24 hours a day, compressing my movie collection with the very CPU-intensive HandBrake is a pretty good test. I actually ran it without an External Vacuum Fan about 1/2 that time, without limitation, so I must have been Thermal Throttling most of that time. It seems that the safer route would be like mikmaze, (and others), took with his 3840QM. Oh, but I did state one thing inaccurately. You can install Intel’s Extreme Tuning Utility with other CPU utilities, it’s just not advised. You could wind up with modifications all over the place if you’re not careful.

Edited by John Entwistle

I might add, that particularly when swapping or modding Intel CPUs, that it’s important to read Intel’s own definition of TDP:  “Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements.”

Xtu 585 with 3740qm without mods, latest bios. ThrottleStop shows about x30 during this process but it actualy can hold x33. Cpu throttles down on this as usual 2 to 4 times. I suggest also trying the ThrottleStop benchmark at the full multiplier possible. Also do not forget that new bios cpu microcode for the latest cpu security vulnerabilities will reduce cpu and ssd speed...  https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Edited by istinnstudio
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2018 at 1:51 PM, Matd said:

Sorry i meant to say playback to an external 4k monitor or 4k tv?

Yes, but with a sidenote. HP 2570P has an intel HD4000 GPU. Thus the maximum resolution is 2560x1440 pixels @ 60Hz. The only way to get 4K / 2160p is to set the refresh rate to 24-30Hz; not a very pleasurable experience to the eyes. Or -- to get those proper high resolutions -- by using a eGPU solution connected through the express card slot. Very neat to have, but its cheaper (and easier) to get an Android / Kodi media center for 4K movie playback. Hmm ... just got an idea. It might actually work using a Google Chromecast Ultra, but not cheap either. Will try one before Xmas. Seems to work: https://www.techjunkie.com/extend-desktop-chromecast/

Edited by Rhyker2U

Capture.thumb.PNG.9c7eecd14f09e34c89023c9db8488842.PNG

What is your score with ThrottleStop ? I have 14:3 seconds best score with a 3820qm and there is almost NO throttling, it runs during the benchmark at full 3.4 Ghz (3.5 Ghz is the maximum turbo but it seems that CPUs will almost never reach this maximum value on a standard non-stripped Windows 10)

PS: you don't need to remove XTU or other utilities to run the benchmark of Throttlestop, just be aware that you must use the "turn off" bottom middle button to turn off Throttlestop

22 hours ago, mikmaze said:

phew, eyes are crossed from reading, any updates as to the most current/ best wifi card upgrade, or is the one on page one still the best, can't imagine in 6 years nothing better/ faster has been found    Intel 7260 HMW  is the one I am looking at, or the Broadcom BCM4352 

I went for the Broadcom BCM04352 Wireless-AC WiFi and Bluetooth combo. 

Works on my 2570p dual boot Windows 10 / Hackintosh MacOS Sierra. WiFi and Bluetooth works on both OSes, but I needed to do the bluetooth enabling hack to make bluetooth work.

While it has been 6 years, I believe wireless AC is still the fastest wifi standard, so going for BCM4352 is still the best decision to make.

wifi.jpeg.1715092dedc0e279163df709d50c211d.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

thanks ono, might do it just for the sake of having the fastest available.   

just tried TS bench again and hit 12.582.    wonder what this chip would be capable of if oc wasn't locked on these rigs.

image.thumb.png.968d0f3277de6fe6a39d376fa5579ee8.png

Edited by mikmaze

7 hours ago, mikmaze said:

thanks ono, might do it just for the sake of having the fastest available.   

just tried TS bench again and hit 12.582.    wonder what this chip would be capable of if oc wasn't locked on these rigs.

image.thumb.png.968d0f3277de6fe6a39d376fa5579ee8.png

Your results are, somewhat, in agreement with my results (3820qm). You max out at 3.5 Ghz on 4 cores and I max out at 3.4 Ghz on 4 cores (normally 3.5 for me and 3.6 for you but Windows 10...), hence, you gain 2 seconds on the 8 threads benchmark. 

But, I still find 2 seconds a lot. I suppose that :

1/ You are running in dual channel, this is not my case, which should give you 1 second, even if this seems a lot simply for running in dual

2/ Obviously the 3840 is more powerfull than the 3820, giving you again 1 second, but this again seems a lot because the ratio of frequencies 3.5/3.4 this should give you only 0.5 seconds maximum of performance advantage (ratio of frequencies can be done because exactly same architechture and class of CPUs), and also, this is confirmed if I review benchmarks for example of the famous Passmark, the 3840 is only 4% faster than 3820.

Anyway, we are in agreement for the Throttlestop, not as with the XTU benchmark

Also, I see that your tempareture is maxed out at about 85°. Me I max out at 104°. How is this possible ? Did you use your laptop with case open ? I am confused. Your temperature at CPU rest is the same as mine, about 50°C, and 3.5 to 5W.

Someone did a very good observation about the Spectre pacth. I am running with the latest BIOS/patched OS, maybe this explains a lot

Edited by juandante

I am running insider builds for windows 10, latest bios/ drivers for everything.    Yup, dual channel, 2 8 gig sticks,  nice fast ssd as well which should have nothing to do with this test.   laptop case is closed,  arctic silver 5 is on there, base of cooler wa hit with 1000 grit paper.   room temp about 68 degrees F. and it is almost 2.3 seconds faster.